1911 Firearm Addicts banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,446 Posts
I put the notch on most of the SSs that didn't come that way.

Option #2 v v v v v v
IMG_3540 (2).jpg

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Bought a Harrison and an Ed Brown Both are great
This has been a good learning experience reading this thread
Thanks

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I've been working on a 63' Colt GCNM that I want to run right but also be able to put it back to factory condition should the desire arise. I've added Harrison Retro ignition components, Thumb Safety, Slide Stop, Wilson Trigger (already installed when purchased), and a Radial Bore bushing. The gun is pretty tight for a factory gun and the bushing made a big difference. I had some barrel bump that needed to be cleaned up so I disassembled a Wilson I bought from a fellow Addict that one of the top Smith's massaged to see how he did it and take some measurements. Long story short I noticed the slide stop was polished and reassembly was a lot easier than the Harrison on the Colt. I've got a bench grinder with a deburring / polishing wheel so I dressed the area that contacts the plunger and now it goes together like butter. I've done the notch and it works well but this couldn't have been easier and I think I like it better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Interesting how many 1911's have the mark. Because assembly is sometimes a hasty process, the marks will likely occur forever even with simple prevention.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I believe I've seen a frame with the arc of the SS being decorated/embedded with silver..... can't remember where but it looked nice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just found out about the idiot mark. Pulled out my PM-9, it's there. I'm an idiot. Phone can't pick it up, but it's there. Can't, not see it now. My other 1911 is straight. Good info here.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wish I knew someone close who could do this mod for me. I'm not confident my mod wouldn't look worse the the idiot mark:rolleyes:

·
Turgid member
579 Posts
Trust me, it's easier to do than explain. Cheap needle files are all you need. Go slow, keep checking your progress.
That's what I did and finished before the long version of Blondie's Call Me was over. The job is not as pretty as log man's work but it works.

·
Premium Member
Dan Wesson Commander Classic, Les Bear Custom, Dan Wesson Discretion
48 Posts
I didn't invent this, just passing on the knowledge.

it's a good mod for all slide stops.

How did you do it? Just using a file?

·
Registered
288 Posts
The so-called "idiot mark" is the scratch that's created when you're trying to re-insert the slide stop, and instead of going in it slips and dances across the frame or slide. It happens not because you're an idiot, but because you may be inexperienced at careful reassembly, after you do it, though, you feel like an idiot. Once you learn how to do it right you can avoid it, but almost every one of us has made that mind-fuming mistake once or twice when we first learned how to take a 1911 apart and put it back together.

376CC1EE-EE37-49C6-B828-D6DDC998B560.png

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thank you 1811RET for enlightening me on the meaning of the ‘idiot’ mark... add me to the list of owners who have committed this error—fortunately it wasn’t in a custom 1911

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thank you again! I bought a WC slide stop in stainless for my colt GCT, to test. It worked great!
Waited for a post range day to take some pics. The Colt slide stop had peculiar cut outs that would make the mod difficult.
Anyway I used a triangular and then rat trail needle files, diamond roasted worked best. Finished it off with 400grit w&d emery paper. I left a bit more of a V on the vertical gave can I didn't want to cut to much away.
Now the slide just clips right in, so easy!

Now I'll need to do the same with a parkerized stop before I Mark the frame

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Thank you again! I bought a WC slide stop in stainless for my colt GCT, to test. It worked great!
Waited for a post range day to take some pics. The Colt slide stop had peculiar cut outs that would make the mod difficult.
Anyway I used a triangular and then rat trail needle files, diamond roasted worked best. Finished it off with 400grit w&d emery paper. I left a bit more of a V on the vertical gave can I didn't want to cut to much away.
Now the slide just clips right in, so easy! View attachment 744489 View attachment 744490
Now I'll need to do the same with a parkerized stop before I Mark the frame
Interesting. The last few Wilson BP slide stops I have purchased has the notch already in then.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts