Les Baer Slide stop

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Babboonbobo, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I recently purchased two Les Baer Premier II's one in 45acp and one in 9mm. I finally made a trip to the range this last weekend with only the 9mm and I took my Knighthawk Kestrel 9mm. Both guns ran superb and were amazing to shoot, actually made me shoot better than normal! My one and only complain is the slide release on the Baer! I have to change my grip or use week hand to manipulate the slide release on a reload because it barely sticks out past the grip? My question is can I replace d the slide stop with an extended unit or is this a "fit" part?
    Any and all help would be appreciated.

Up to this point I've just been buying, no mods or work done to any of them other than maintenance. So I'm not sure about replacing parts.

2. texasnurse

texasnurse Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Slide stops are fitted to the barrel lug and slide stop notch

Sent from my iPhone with a general disregard for the masses

Babboonbobo likes this.

3. Jimhoag

Jimhoag In Kentucky

Jun 14, 2013
    I always used off hand ss manipulation. After inserting mag use index finger to pull ss down.

Babboonbobo likes this.
  4. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Most times a slide stop can be replaced without any mods.
    You DO have to check to ensure it operates as it should though. They don't always work as you expect

Babboonbobo likes this.
  5. Babboonbobo

Nov 18, 2014
    Ok, thank you guys. These are all the thoughts I had to. The Les Baers are the only pistols I have that I can not release SS from my standard grip position.
    I'm not too worried about working on or modifying a SS as I am a machinist by trade with 25 years experience. I just want to make sure I head in the right direction. It is only a slide stop but if I change it out I did not want to cause an issue with the gun.
    One last thing I see is SSs for sale and I've noticed they list separate ones for 45 and for 38/9/10, what is the difference between them if any?

6. texasnurse

texasnurse Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Lobe protrusion

Several ledge Slide Stop type exist
    Wilson BP, (with the semi extended and full extended versions Grips may have to be modified)
    Ed Brown Hardcore
    10-8
    Nighthawk (like a narrowed 10-8)
    Harrison

Sent from my iPhone with a general disregard for the masses

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Babboonbobo likes this.
  7. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    I prefer the 10-8 unit, but I slim it down. Its always worked well for me.
    Only one experience with NHC ss and it is a wonderful thing indeed
    Wilson BP ??, some have worked well, some have needed extensive mods to work at all
    While I generally like Harrison parts, I don't like his ss, its just me, others love them

All IMHO, I'm not a world class 'smith, just a guy with alot of experience trying to make my and others 1911s run correctly

ripdog28 and Cw1023 like this.
  8. EvolutionArmory

EvolutionArmory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Baer slide stops tend to be a bit undersized and I believe that one step in their fitting process is to fit the slide stop pin to the lower lugs with paper as a last step in the fitting process. A new replacement slide stop will usually be a .200 pin so it may require some fitting to the lower lugs. The slide stop cross pin hole on a Baer frame can be undersized as well and may require a reaming to get a .200 pin in without drag. Yours may be fine but I thought I would mention these tips.

I have always had to shift my grip to manipulate the slide stop with my stong hand so your situation wouldn't bother me. I use my weak hand to manipulate the slide stop when I practice that. I slingshot the slide 90% of the time though.

william adams likes this.
  9. Babboonbobo

Nov 18, 2014
    I am still going to look into modifying the SS but this may be the opportunity to learn a new skill for slide manipulation! I try to make the best of a situation and that might be it.
    I'll let you know what I do and thank you for all the information guys.

10. JHC

JHC New Member

Mar 10, 2012
    A Wilson drop in slide stop would not work in my Sams gun. Dave reacted like I was nuts when I told him I tried to do that. I take it the custom guns include that as a precisely fitted part.

I was like "huhhh?" as I've dropped them into my rack grade guns years ago without question.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted