Slide-to-Frame Fit after 1,000 rounds

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by E39, Dec 31, 2011.

1. E39

E39 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 15, 2011
    I'd have to say that after at least 1,000 rounds through my SA Loaded I am very happy with it. However, I have noticed quite a bit of play in the slide. If I grab the muzzle I can 'wiggle' it side to side on the frame. Even grabbing it around the receiver and moving it I can actually see a gap in the slide-to-frame fit back at the rear of the gun. When I clean the gun (usually after every range session) I check the slide, frame, barrel, and extractor for wear marks. I've seen nothing bothersome to date (to this untrained eye).

I'd say this isn't normal for a Loaded. Or is it? Should I send it in to Springfield to have them check it out?

2. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011
    I don't have a loaded, but my pro has about 1-2k and although it's starting to break in/loosen a bit, it's only noticeable by feel of slide rack.

I assume the accuracy is unchanged and if so I wouldn't be concerned.

3. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Not a big deal. Check wear on the lock up of barrel and slide area, and lower lug area too. Breech face to barrel hood.

4. pdogkilr

pdogkilr Can't afford Therapy

Jan 7, 2012
    Take some crisp close-up photos of the rear of the pistol - some of the gunsmiths might be able to advise if they can see it.

5. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    @E39
    This is a medium grade custom gun. They are made fast and fitted OK. Slide/frame fit gets worn faster, when it's not fitted super tight from the get go. Not to worry though, this is normal on this type of gun, and the good news would be, that it most likely won't get much looser from now on. It has kind of found it's "seat" by now.
    For some odd reason, this will often time really not affect the guns accuracy very much...if at all.

I have a Caspian that was custom build from a race ready slide/frame kit. In the beginning, it was so tight that I had to use a weaker main/recoil springs, in order for the gun to work at all. Now after app. 75 K rounds through it, it has standard springs in it and still works fine. It has loosened up now, but remains super accurate. Which indicates, that it's usually more important how the barrel is fit to the slide/slidestop, than how the slide/frame is fitted when conserned about accuracy.

If your Springfield is reliable and accurate, then i wouldn't be too conserned.

6. E39

Oct 15, 2011
    Thanks Jess. Accuracy isn't an issue. Like my extractor sticking out the back of the slide, the slop in the fitment of the frame/slide is another one of those "noob" issues. It really is an interesting learning curve with 1911's. Probably why I enjoy it some much.

7. E39

Oct 15, 2011
    I need to figure out a better photography setup. Right now I don't think I could get a clear enough shot with my little Kodak point-n-shoot camera to provide anything worthwhile. Good suggestion though.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted