1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My S&W E Series 1911 has a slide to frame lateral alignment problem. The slide is not centered in the frame U channel. A slight rub mark exists on the front portion of the slide that travels in that U channel, not supposed to make any contact. Sent back to S&W. They polished a little in the U channel, said everything within spec. Also scuffed the finish of the slide. Appears like a half baked attempt to buff out a scratch. The finish was perfect when sent to them, but of course they deny any possibility they did anything. The slide still is not centered. 1911 gunsmiths in my area show no interest in a "cosmetic" issue. Will not send back to S&W again. Functions perfectly, but looking for a solution.

The slide to frame rail fit exhibits very small vertical movement and a bit more horizontal movement. Would peening the slide rails do anything to improve horizontal alignment

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Photos?

Reactions: xerts1191

·
1911 Pistol Smith
10,440 Posts
The key words here are functions perfectly, your probably chasing something not worth the time or money and if it is the scandium framed gun you definitely don't want to be peening on the rails.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The key words here are functions perfectly, your probably chasing something not worth the time or money and if it is the scandium framed gun you definitely don't want to be peening on the rails.
Not the scandium. The fact that the pistol functions well is a good thing for sure. However, a pistol promoted by S&W as premium with a premium price should not have this problem. S&W Quality Control should never have let this one out the door. Worse yet S&W will take no responsibility, claiming fit is within spec. Since when does that mean to parts touching that are not supposed to touch?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
That would drive me crazy. I’m as guilty as anyone but it just shows you really have to go over everything before you buy or transfer a gun. Once you’re out the door you’re on your own.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you ordered a gun online it is sent to your LGS. You have a 3 day window to send it back if anything wrong. Inspect your purchases before accepting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts