Small Radius FPS for Alloy frame Commander size Pistol

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Boatbum101, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Boatbum101

Boatbum101 Member

Mar 9, 2019
    Many used to put them in Gov't size if they were shooting Hardball or heavier loads . Supposedly it reduced felt recoil & increased unlock time somewhat . Was wondering if it was worthwhile on a LW Commander / Officer size gun .

2. Mercury

Mercury Active Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I have them on my LW commanders and EMPs and did notice an improvement with recoil.
    They're inexpensive, why not give it a try and determine for yourself if it makes a difference?
    The only downside, if it can be considered one, is that I noticed that it makes it a little bit harder to get the slide moving when I want to retract it (this is why it dampens recoil).

3. Wildcat Creeker

Wildcat Creeker Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2012
    I install flat bottom firing pin stops on all my 1911s(no radius). For the reasons you stated above. Now in my senior years, I carry only lightweight frame guns. Steel frame guns want to pull my pants down.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  4. Boatbum101

Boatbum101 Member

Mar 9, 2019
    Oh they definately make a difference . All my Gov't size Hardball & SD guns have them along with 23lb mainsprings & 16lb recoil springs . Would not put one in a Bullseye wadcutter gun shooting midrange loads though . I did not know with an alloy frame if it would hurt more than help , but it does keep gun from unlocking too soon if barrel is fit correctly .

5. hks1911

hks1911 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    Yeah, I use the Harrison Design or EGW ones in my Commander size guns, even my alloy Colt. I don't think it makes the recoil feel too different but it does slow the slide speed for reliability.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted