1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it seems like a stupid question ... impossible to shoot same if not the same ...but..

what can be recommended all things considered - looking for a Carry option & have a nice DW Valkyrie - want to go down 4" - 3" Commander / Officer etc - ... Prefer 9 mm but 45 may work

Picked up a Ruger LCP Max - size is great but I just don't like the way I shoot it

The problem is reliability with smaller 1911's so that is another consideration .
Going to Carry and train with this so I need to have full confidence with it . May even shoot some IDPA .

Thanks

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I've carried a STI Elektra in 45 for 7-8 years now. Trust it enough that I bought a 2nd one in case I have to use the first one and it gets held for evidence. I've never had a FTF with it out of the thousands of rounds down the tube.

Trigger Mammal Air gun Grey Gun barrel

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
What do you dislike about the DW Valkyrie?

Only 1911s feel like a 1911…

Bull barrel helps reduce recoil, so trying something with one would be worth it to get you closer to the feel of a full size 1911 in a smaller gun.

Edit to add: Maybe you went too small on that Ruger, have you taken a look at something with 3.5-4” barrel? Something like a SW Shield Plus 4” or Sig p365 XL are still easy to conceal but are much more pleasant and easy to shoot than a micro 3” pistol. About the same size as a 1911 CCO like Valkyrie with higher capacity.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
I personally don't carry smaller than a Commander any more. I do believe that reliability in small guns is better than it used to be, but that is a comment and observation on the 1911 world in general and not a particular make or model. I carried a Para Warthog for quite a while and for a 3" double stack .45 with a 10-round mag it worked just fine.

Plastic guns will never have the trigger of a 1911, but along the lines of the LCP Max I owned a SA Hellcat and it's a great little gun that my sister now carries all the time. I shot it much better than I thought I would. Of course, the EMP sounds like it may be exactly what you're looking for. I was always intrigued by them but have never owned one. The whole theory behind it is a smaller 1911 in 9mm.

I don't know if there is an answer that suits you, but I don't think it's a stupid question and I hope you find what you're looking for.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Valkyrie is a great shooting 1911 - just wanted to see if there's something slimmer , trimmer for carry .
I was looking at the EMP - aside from price [ $ 1100 ] it would be the smallest candidate - EMP 3 - there's a 4 also
will need to search them out

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
The Valkyrie is a great shooting 1911 - just wanted to see if there's something slimmer , trimmer for carry .
I was looking at the EMP - aside from price [ $ 1100 ] it would be the smallest candidate - EMP 3 - there's a 4 also
It’s a fine balance between size and “shootability”… and seems to differ from person to person

That being said, all 1911s are the same width…

(EMP included since it uses the same thumb safety as a standard 1911, right?)

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
7,437 Posts
There's a million and they all work, Dan Wesson ECO (excellent price point), Nighthawk Counselor or T4, Wilson Sentinel Compact or EDC X9S, Ed Brown CCO's or EVO CCO's

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I have a Colt OACP and a SA Ultra Compact that are worthwhile reductions in size from a Commander but I pay for it in shootability. You might not.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
I like the EMP4 Contour Carry(or something like that) model. I also don't need to conceal the way many do, so I would rather have the longer barrel. I have seen some used EMP's in gun stores that look to be in pretty good shape for around $750. I think many traded their standard models in when the 4 came out, but that's speculation.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Keep one thing in mind with the EMPs, they are not compatible with standard 1911 parts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm a firm believer in smaller carry pistols. But, I hate to give up much in the way of capacity and accuracy. About a year ago, I came upon the Bul Armory SAS II FS. This is a very compact 2011 with and officer's grip and a 3.2" barrel. It holds 15+1 rounds of 9mm. I ordered one the day I first saw it. I've carried it and shot it in our monthly defensive pistol matches ever since I got it. I think it is a fantastic 1911-based compact carry pistol.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Everyday carry

But there are times I dress up or just need something a little lighter, smaller and slimmer. That's what I bought my Kimber Micro 9 for. 1911 controls in a very, very tiny package. I am always amazed when I hold it and realize it carries 7+1 rounds of 9mm. Mine is also very accurate for having such a short barrel. I've won two BUG matches with the Kimber this year.
Wood Handgun holster Hardwood Wood stain Bicycle part

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
I'm a firm believer in smaller carry pistols. But, I hate to give up much in the way of capacity and accuracy. About a year ago, I came upon the Bul Armory SAS II FS. This is a very compact 2011 with and officer's grip and a 3.2" barrel. It holds 15+1 rounds of 9mm. I ordered one the day I first saw it. I've carried it and shot it in our monthly defensive pistol matches ever since I got it. I think it is a fantastic 1911-based compact carry pistol.

View attachment 819977

But there are times I dress up or just need something a little lighter, smaller and slimmer. That's what I bought my Kimber Micro 9 for. 1911 controls in a very, very tiny package. I am always amazed when I hold it and realize it carries 7+1 rounds of 9mm. Mine is also very accurate for having such a short barrel. I've won two BUG matches with the Kimber this year.
View attachment 819979

See post #6, slimmer and trimmer

·
born in the wrong century
5,880 Posts
OP, you'll get a gazillion responses.

I only have the experience of the guns I've owned...they aren't as numerous as most of the Addicts here....but I have put considerable ammo through any gun that I've wanted to use as a carry gun....same as some Addicts....others I wonder if they ever shoot anything.

You mentioned shooting & training with what you'll carry. Good on you. (y) 👍 (y)

A steel-framed commander carries well and shoots very, very well.

The officer framed 3-3.5" slide equipped model .45 that tried to trust and carry simply sucked in many categories. Short sight radius and smallish grip frame made getting hits on 10yd targets a bit more challenging.

It certainly wasn't as much fun to shoot as the steel-framed commanders.

I won't be going smaller than CCO-sized guns for carry.

Those short slides require new springs much sooner.....more sensitive to ammo choices....magazine choices....harder to get precision.....no thanks.

Others have other opinions.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Hi,
Not going to happen...

The recoil, or feel even between a .45 Auto GM 1911, and a Commander, is quite distinct...

Much less something even smaller!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
A guy here has one of those dwarf Kimbers. It shoots very well for its size and even reliably after only one trip back to the factory.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used to own EMP4, I did not like its grips when I held it. It shoot just fine, don't feel 1911is at all.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts