1911 Firearm Addicts banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
The Valkyrie is a great shooting 1911 - just wanted to see if there's something slimmer , trimmer for carry .
I was looking at the EMP - aside from price [ $ 1100 ] it would be the smallest candidate - EMP 3 - there's a 4 also
will need to search them out
I have two EMP’s (both 3’s), one in 9mm and one in .40 cal. I also have Commanders and Gov’t models galore, in 10mm, 9mm and .45 ACP. The EMP 3’s carry very, very well, IMHO. I have no experience with the 4’s. I frequently rotate my EDC, but I find I reach for one of the EMP’s alot. I think you may be pleased if you can find one at a reasonable price. I’ve had the 9mm for about 10 years; IIRC I paid $650 for it. I got the .40 about 2 years ago. I only paid $800 for the .40 when the new price was what you quoted, $1100.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
You might be able to adjust a 1911's felt recoil to some extent. Use of a small-radius firing pin stop and a stronger hammer spring can decrease the impulse felt by spreading the force out over a longer period of time. I think a bull barreled gun with these adjustments should start to get you into the ballpark. This is very subjective, only you can decide what is "close enough" to shooting like a full size gun.

·
What me worry ?
12,479 Posts
Maybe I’m old school but the 1911 platform was designed to function properly in a 5” form , latter a commander size pistol in .45 acp or .38 super. For reliability in self defense .
While many have hacked up JMB’s design ,short 1911s just do not posses the same attributes in the form of reliability and accuracy.
If your intention is to carry a 9mm for defense , and want a smaller ,slimmer pistol look elsewhere,the market is overrun with good small 9mm pistols at more affordable pricing.
Don’t bet your life on something that has to be severely modified to try to function, better options are readily available.
Tiny pistols in a 1911 platform weren’t ment to be .

·
Registered
44 Posts
Maybe I’m old school but the 1911 platform was designed to function properly in a 5” form , latter a commander size pistol in .45 acp or .38 super. For reliability in self defense .
While many have hacked up JMB’s design ,short 1911s just do not posses the same attributes in the form of reliability and accuracy.
If your intention is to carry a 9mm for defense , and want a smaller ,slimmer pistol look elsewhere,the market is overrun with good small 9mm pistols at more affordable pricing.
Don’t bet your life on something that has to be severely modified to try to function, better options are readily available.
Tiny pistols in a 1911 platform weren’t ment to be .
I think it is simply a biased opinion that shorter 1911/2011 based pistols are unreliable. I've had a Bul Armory SAS II FS for a little over a year now and it's been reliable. I shoot a Kimber Micro 9 at our BUG matches and have won both matches this year with it. I believe Wilson and Nighthawk produce shorter than 5" 1911's, and they have quite the reputation to uphold. I suppose I'm just not seeing or experiencing this unreliability that's supposed to be in any 1911 shorter than JMB's original holy design.

·
Cav Troopers Dad
1,333 Posts
My vote would be either a Wilson Combat ULCC, mine is a 9mm with about 6K rounds through it. I honestly can’t remember a malfunction with it. My second vote would be a NH Counselor, I don’t have as many rounds through it but the 3 that I have owned were extremely reliable and easy to carry. With that being said the Glock 43/43X and Sig 365/365L carry real well also. Probably the biggest thing for carry comfort is a sturdy belt and holster selection. Good luck on your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
born in the wrong century
5,900 Posts
I think it is simply a biased opinion that shorter 1911/2011 based pistols are unreliable. I've had a Bul Armory SAS II FS for a little over a year now and it's been reliable. I shoot a Kimber Micro 9 at our BUG matches and have won both matches this year with it. I believe Wilson and Nighthawk produce shorter than 5" 1911's, and they have quite the reputation to uphold. I suppose I'm just not seeing or experiencing this unreliability that's supposed to be in any 1911 shorter than JMB's original holy design.
You are certainly correct.

It is a biased opinion.

In my case it is biased by marginal reliability & performance with the snubbie 1911's that I have tried.

I want more than marginal for self defense. For me, that's best found in a 4"+ slide 1911.

Are there solid snubbies ? I'm sure there must me, but the 4"+ models conceal just as comfortably for me and are much, much more comfortable to shoot on range sessions.

Range time with a carry gun is a big percentage of my range time.....I enjoy being comfortable.

That being said.....your back-up gun matches sound like perfect practice. Good stuff (y)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can only speak from experience. My first 1911 was a Kimber Eclipse Pro II, 4" bull barrel. 5500 rounds without a single hiccup of any kind shooting 230 gr., 200 gr., 185 gr. JHPs, all hand loads. Traded it (plus some cash) for a Les Baer TR Special Comanche (4 1/4" barrel w/ bushing). Again, thousands of rounds without a hiccup. I don't believe that reliability is an issue in a shorter 1911 from a reputable maker. When I got my first 5" 1911 (Les Baer Monolith), I realized the limitation of the shorter sight radius in the 4" guns, but by then had trained myself to shoot very well with them. Sure, you have to replace the recoil springs more frequently with the shorter platform, but that's not a big deal or expense. I carried both 4" guns, found them to be comfortable enough and easy enough to conceal.

·
What me worry ?
12,479 Posts
Hey , ask any lady if she finds anything less then 4+ inches satisfactory or reliable, you don’t have to ask JMB !! 😜😆😆
Oh , due you like Ferraris to compensate with. ?

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I really like my STI Staccato C. Shoots great and is easier to carry than a heavier gov’t or commander. I just purchased a GI CCO, and am going to start carrying it once I get a holster. It’s going to be quite a bit heavier, but boy, does it shoot. Both the STI and the CCO seem a lot easier to carry, and aren’t so small as to induce reliability issues.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Hi,
Well if we all thought the same, it would be a pretty boring crowd.

I think the 1911 .45 Commander, is just right for CCW.

If for some reason, I needed to go smaller, I would go with a 9mm Tupperware!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey , ask any lady if she finds anything less then 4+ inches satisfactory or reliable, you don’t have to ask JMB !! 😜😆😆
Oh , due you like Ferraris to compensate with. ?
I wish I could afford a Ferrari. I became an F1 race fan back in the 80's. Used to root for Schumacher back when he dominated in a Ferrari. Nowadays, Ferrari isn't doing so well.

Actually, if I won the lotto, I'd probably get an Aston Martin, not a Ferrari. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Lots of good choices on the market, I really like my Staccato C2 as well. Great size, easy to conceal, very accurate, fun to shoot, and not too bad of a price. It’s my summer EDC. In 9mm I’d also take a look at a NHC Counselor, or a Wilson SFX9 in the 15 round version. In a 45 no question I’d go for a NHC T4. My son has a Sig 928 and a 365, great carry guns, just not as fun to shoot, for me anyway. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a Kimber Micro 9- it is surprisingly accurate given it's size. I carry a DW CCO Vigil for my daily. It shoots pretty close to a full size, just a bit snappier.

·
What me worry ?
12,479 Posts
Good on you , I think a Mclaron took the last race , no. ?
I admire their skill , but if you want to be amazed, watch a motorcycle road race , Isle Of Mann comes to mind

·
Registered
482 Posts
In my opinion a bobtail 4” 9mm would be perfect for what you’re looking for. As long as you’re not someone who doesn’t hold a bobtail well. I’ve never found it to be an issue.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ruger makes an officer size 9mm 1911 with a 3.6 inch barrel that holds 8 rounds and is only 27 ounces unloaded. It fits regular 1911 holsters and I think is a good value and solid performer. Colt also has the Defender in 9mm and 45acp that I think is a great carry gun. I have one in 45acp and it is my 2nd favorite 1911 my 1st choice being a Colt CCO.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I have two depending on budget. I know this first one will not be real popular with this crowd. Any flavor of Kimber Ultra's, I have several, my favorite is Super Carry Ultra Plus .45 (no longer in production) 3" barrel, full size round heel grip, or if budget allows WC CQB Compact, I have both .45acp and 9mm. The 9mm has Black controls.
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

21 - 40 of 65 Posts