Smith and Wesson 1500 upgrade.

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by nmbuzz, Jan 14, 2019.

1. nmbuzz

nmbuzz Livin Large

Apr 9, 2013
    My big game/elk rifle for the last 35 years has been a Smith & Wesson Deluxe in 7mm Mag.
    [​IMG]

I took it in trade in 1981or 2 for building a 14 x40 deck for my neighbor, at the time, Bill Hoke.

I would like to say that was the only trade he ever got the best of me on over the years but, turns out he was GOOD at trading. And I liked him a lot. And I liked guns. Weakness.
    The trade really did work out for me over the years if meat in the freezer is any measure.
    A dozen or so deer, a bear, and enough elk I have lost count. That rifle and I just seemed to fit when it was time to send a round toward an animal. Heavy!? Lord it should have come with tag axles to pull it around with. But it has spent many hours laying against a tree, covered in snow, dripping from rain, swapping shoulders, swapping again, and again, being pushed around a truck cab, and clamped into ATV and UTV mounts.

It came with a '70s-'Tasco 3-9 x 32 scope mounted on an old school Burris base and Signature rings that have held up to my demands all these years.

The last few years I have been hunting on the open grasslands and planning a stalk or ambush that will get the elk into 2-300 yd range has been difficult. I could have taken many
    4-600 yd shots but holding over the top of an elk just seems wrong. Also my Tasco came loose 2 years ago and resulted in it requiring more than one shot to get my elk.

The ranch owner came up as I was filling out my tag and dressing the elk and I asked him what time it was, so I could fill out the tag accurately.

His comment was..... would that be the time you "started" shooting or when you "stopped"?

Been working on an upgrade for optics since and decided on the following scope.
    VORTEX Diamondback 6-24x50 FFP EBR-2C.
    [​IMG]

I expect success this spring on my hunt.
    [​IMG]

KS95B40, 1911 dawg, Kip and 5 others like this.
  2. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    I think you will be very pleased with the new glass! MOA?

nmbuzz likes this.

3. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    That's a LOT of glass for a hunting scope.

Gotta love this: "His comment was..... would that be the time you "started" shooting or when you "stopped"?" :)

KS95B40, nmbuzz and Kip like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted