'Smith for rolling trigger??

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by samuse, Mar 10, 2019.

1. samuse

samuse Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    I really don't shoot the crisp triggers in my Wilsons well and would like to get a good 3.5-4lb rolling break trigger job done.

I need to call a plumber because I'm not a DIYer on stuff like that.

Kip and 41 Charlie like this.
  2. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Historically, 1911s (single action pistols) have always had the superior trigger. Some manufactures trigger pull are better than others. Wilson Combat has one of the best triggers in the business. I kind of fall into the same camp as you. For whatever reason, I seem to be more accurate with certain double action revolvers, than my 1911s. It sounds crazy, as I try to shoot my revolvers DA only.

Actually I’m a pretty crappy shot, so the differences is not that noticeable. But I can tell. I would seek out one of our very qualified Smiths on this forum (we do have some great ones) and discuss what you are trying to achieve. You might even reach out to Wilson Combat. They have stellar customer support. If you’re seeking a specific trigger pull, perhaps they can assist. Best of luck!

Kip and Colorado Sonny like this.

3. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    Mr Chambers has spoken on this subject from time to time...
    @Joe C

Joe C, FWoo45, Steve B and 5 others like this.
  4. Ohio

Ohio I like this place !

Mar 22, 2018
    I recently purchased a Wilson Combat Beretta Centurion with the action works......the SA trigger is amazing, unfortunately I’m fighting with the DA trigger (it’s me, not the pistol). I can only describe the SA trigger as a “rolling” trigger and it has spoiled me for triggers that break. I shoot the Centurion better then any pistol I’ve owned, and I’ve owned a few Wilson Combat 1911’s and some nice Sigs. The only other pistol I own that comes close to the Centurion is a CZ Shadow Line compact, nice action but not up to the Centurion.

I would convert all my pistols to a rolling trigger if that were possible.

5. samuse

samuse Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Wilson won't do a rolling trigger. On purpose anyway...

gaijin, Autonomous and wrmiller like this.
  6. Oldgunner

Oldgunner Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2018
    You could try Sams Custom Gunworks, LLC in northern Virginia.

7. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Option 1- Buy a True Radius sear jig and a spare sear and hammer then play around a bit.

One man’s short roll trigger is another man’s mushy trigger.

Option 2- @Joe C might be the best for roll triggers. I don’t know many other smiths that have talked about roll. Most people talk about a glass rod or snapping carrot break but from the smiths and gun trainers I’ve talked to a lot of shooters would benifit from a small amount of roll.

Joe C, Greg45acp and Steve B like this.
  8. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Or just buy a Glock (or other striker type) and enjoy the mush. ;)

(I'll show myself out...)

RIS, the.batman, WWB and 4 others like this.
  9. rmac

rmac Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 26, 2016
    Any Bullseye Smith should be able to fix you up.
    You need to try several first and decide which suits your style of shooting. Roll triggers are usually referred to as 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 or full roll.

JNW and 41 Charlie like this.
  10. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    KCs Kustom Kreations
    KCsKustomKreations.com

hks1911, JNW, Oldgunner and 1 other person like this.
  11. Boatbum101

Boatbum101 Member

Mar 9, 2019
    Any 'smith that builds Bullseye guns can do a roll trigger . All my 1911 wadcutter & Hardball guns have them . It's easier to keep sights aligned with constant trigger movement . True Radius sear & longer hammer hooks . A good one you can feel the sear roll out from under the hooks , but it has to be smooth , not creepy . I'd stick with a short roll to start with as for most a long roll is hard to master . Bullseye is shot one-handed so trigger control & smoothness is paramount . Barrel fit / lockup is also important especially for 50yd accuracy . Some of the better BE 'smiths include Roddy Toyota , John Eullette , Alex Hamilton , Buddy Chapman , Travis Strahan , KC Crawford , David Sams , Greg Derr .

JNW and Oldgunner like this.
  12. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Wish I knew what a rolling trigger was...

I just shoot the damn things.

13. rmac

rmac Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 26, 2016
    I use K.C.'s 1/4 roll with the Battle Ax hammer.

tac45 and Oldgunner like this.
  14. jglenn

jglenn Member

Jul 8, 2016
    unfortunately Travis has left us this past year.

15. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    I have 2 1911s with short roll triggers by John Vincent at Hallston Custom Machine in Pennsylvania. He is a High Master bullseye shooter and knows his way around a 1911. My custom built frame for my .22 Nelson conversion has a trigger pull that can bring tears of joy to your eyes. I am now spoiled and dislike all my other triggers.
    Jeff

Steve B and samuse like this.
  16. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    My competition and carry 1911s all have roll triggers. I've used several other smiths but Joe C does all my 1911 work and does THE FINEST roll trigger you'll ever feel.

Joe C likes this.
  17. samuse

samuse Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Does a roll trigger tend to last as long as a crisp trigger, or does it need freshening up every now and then?

18. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Someone describe a "roll trigger" for me please.

19. puddi_nugget

puddi_nugget Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2014
    Laymen terms: It’s not a glass rod break. The break is a “surprise” as you push on the trigger, as there’s little or no “wall”.

It’s not a mushy trigger, but it allows you to roll through the press so you don’t have time to pause or think about the wall or prepping the trigger. It’s actually amazing.

You don’t put a single stage AR trigger when you’re going for groups at 600yds.

20. puddi_nugget

puddi_nugget Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2014
    Should be fine for a long long time.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted