1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This afternoon, thanks to the assistance from this forum, I headed out to my LGS to purchase a 686.
But then I saw this behemoth in the case as soon as I walked in.

Revolver Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel

Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Line

It seemed different (and astonishingly clean) enough to merit some consideration.
Ultimately, I decided to buy it instead of the 686. I reasoned that I can get a new 686 any day, but this had a bit more character.
Could anyone give me a firm date of manufacture?
The gentleman who assisted me said he thought it was from the 70’s. But according to my internet search, this model was discontinued in 1966.
The serial number is 151,xxx.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your 38/44 Heavy Duty dates to '56-'57, right around the switchover to model marked designations -- Model 20 in this case.

Condition appear exceptional. Congrats.
Thank you very much for the info and kind words.
There is no Model 20 designation on this gun.

Now that I have a bit more insight, I guess my question has morphed more along the lines of, “Given the age, model, and condition, should I just go shoot it as I intended when I bought it as an oddball 1970’s gun?”

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Thank you very much for the info and kind words.
There is no Model 20 designation on this gun.

Now that I have a bit more insight, I guess my question has morphed more along the lines of, “Given the age, model, and condition, should I just go shoot it as I intended when I bought it as an oddball 1970’s gun?”
Pre-Model 20, then.

I understand the dilemma. Of course, only you can say if it's worth shooting. I shoot everything I get my paws on, but to each their own. The bluing is remarkable in the pic, given the age. But the roll marks look crisp and there's no overt evidence of dishing, so it appears original, gleaming finish.

The stocks I think are newer vintage; I'm not certain, but I think it would've shipped with diamond magnas, not plain.

I'd enjoy it or move it. Hope you got it for a song... ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
You made the right call. The gun will shoot just fine, and I would recommend shooting it unless it really is mint and came with the box papers and tools (if your intent is to keep it as a collector in mint condition). Yours Lisbon like it’s in great shape, but I wouldn’t worry too much about shooting an older N frame gun.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You made the right call. The gun will shoot just fine, and I would recommend shooting it unless it really is mint and came with the box papers and tools (if your intent is to keep it as a collector in mint condition). Yours Lisbon like it’s in great shape, but I wouldn’t worry too much about shooting an older N frame gun.
No box or papers. Well, I actually left the store with it in a paper bag. Does that count?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
256 Posts
You've got yourself a pristine 5-screw Smith!!! That's friggin awesome! In addition to the 3 screws you can see on the sideplate, there should be one additional screw underneath the grips and a fifth screw in front of the trigger guard. These were for the most part discontinued in 1955. That sir is an amazing find.

No doubt this is a MUCH MUCH better find than the 686. You made the right choice.

Here's a link to some brief info about the 5- 4- and 3-screw Smiths.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You've got yourself a pristine 5-screw Smith!!! That's friggin awesome! In addition to the 3 screws you can see on the sideplate, there should be one additional screw underneath the grips and a fifth screw in front of the trigger guard. These were for the most part discontinued in 1955. That sir is an amazing find.

No doubt this is a MUCH MUCH better find than the 686. You made the right choice.

Here's a link to some brief info about the 5- 4- and 3-screw Smiths.
You are correct!

Wood Tints and shades Auto part Metal Gun accessory

And another under the stock. I just removed the grips to check.

So……Is it still a “shooter”?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I probably would. You don't have the box or papers; and I'm not positive but I don't think those are period correct grips. That will somewhat hurt the value to a serious collector. Plus I doubt I could resist the urge to shoot it -- but that's just me.

But hey; if you find the urge too great to resist, feel free to ship me the gun. I don't want it to fill you with anxiety trying to decide whether or not to shoot it. I'm always glad to help ;)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts