1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm seeking input, information, advice or opinions. (civil in nature) Regarding a SW1911 I have.
Here's my dilemma: Should I attempt to have the billboarding on the slide removed or not?
It is a low round gun (less than 100) with an early S/N (167) when S&W first got into 1911's (so I'm told)
I was also told that the first ones came out of their Performance Center and may have been assembled with some Wilson parts.
I bought it for its condition and limited use and maybe its heritage.

I'm open to any thoughts you may have about this.
IMG_1756.jpg
IMG_1757.jpg

·
It is a dry heat, right...
3,816 Posts
The early SW1911's were assembled by the Performance Center. How many is subject to many different opinions... If you feel yours is truly a "collectable" you should not alter it by removing the billboards. If it does not fall under that category, do what you will with it... JMHO and your results will vary.

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The early SW1911's were assembled by the Performance Center. How many is subject to many different opinions... If you feel yours is truly a "collectable" you should not alter it by removing the billboards. If it does not fall under that category, do what you will with it... JMHO and your results will vary.
Any suggestions on where I might get history info about this S/N?

·
It is a dry heat, right...
3,816 Posts
If you have the factory box for it there should be a product code on the box label for this pistol. If you do not have the box a Roy Jinks factory letter might reveal more information. I will take a look in my S&W digest and see what I can find...

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought the first editions out of the pc had JMB serial#s.
found this comment:
I thought the JRD and JRE prefix S/Ns were the early ones where some have said people from the Performance Center were training workers how to put them together. I have a JRE prefix Commander and it is very well put together.

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you have the factory box for it there should be a product code on the box label for this pistol. If you do not have the box a Roy Jinks factory letter might reveal more information. I will take a look in my S&W digest and see what I can find...
Thanks.... I have the original plastic case in the attic.... perhaps I should dig it out and see what, if any info is on it.

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,221 Posts
I have no knowledge Of early production models however
I briefly owned on and it was a
fairly accurate reliable gun.
If it’s has collector value what would it be worth?

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First production run was "JRD" prefix released in 2003 after the Shot Show debut.
Perhaps my JRE was pre-production release... calls for more research before any mods are started.

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have no knowledge Of early production models however
I briefly owned on and it was a
fairly accurate reliable gun.
If it’s has collector value what would it be worth?
I guess whatever someone is willing to pay.... are you making an offer???? :happy::happy::happy:

Reactions: Dwe

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 20 of 24 Posts