1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first 1911 finished in Smoked Nitride was my NightHawk Falcon courtesy
Of @TheCollector. I was blown away by its appearance, and smooth feel and action.
My second, was my ColtHawk. Also finished in Smoked Nitride.
This finish rates right up there to DLC in my opinion...
Tell us all what you think and paste your own pics of your guns in Smoked Nitride!
Here are mine.
Gun Firearm Trigger Tan Grey
Gun Firearm Trigger Ammunition Gun accessory
Brown Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reactions: Mtek

·
Premium Member
8,110 Posts
I currently have 3 in that finish. My replacement Falcon (that I HAD to have after Kenny slick talked me out of #1) A Colt Hawk (that Kenny TALKED me in to.......... Kenny does a lot of talkin)
My recent JEM/Caspian build project........ I call it my JEM Hawk.
I'm drawn to the sheen of the finish more than the color... which is also kind of cool.

Ammunition Gun Bullet Gun accessory Trigger
Brown Gun Ammunition Firearm Trigger

·
Premium Member
8,110 Posts
Naysayer here; finish wear should be earned (through use), not purchased.
Symptomatic in part with what is wrong with our country.

Does it look great? Yes.
I don't see it as a "wear" treatment at all. I see it as a color change & sheen. I'm sure that a well used smoked nitride finish will get its own "wear" look that shows on this color just as it does on the black.

·
Premium Member
31,207 Posts
I like the look, I REALLY like the feel.

I don’t see it as “manufactured wear” but I can understand the idea behind it.
To each their own, I don’t have a smoked nitride pistol. Lately I’ve been rethinking the nitride/melonite finish idea in general.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Looks MUCH better in person! I was not a fan until our first annual Nighthawk Tour. Got to see and hold one, and really liked it...so much so that I had them refinish my The Bull in smoked nitride and love it!

View attachment 380059 View attachment 380061 View attachment 380063 View attachment 380067
I like the finish but my question to you is about those grips. I really like those and did not see anything similar on NH's website. They would look good on my Lady Hawk, the finish too but one thing at a time. Where did they come from please sir?

·
Premium Member
31,207 Posts
How so? I’ve never felt or seen this finish in person. I prefer blued (high polish or flat) or stainless (again high polished or flat/blasted).

I’m interested in your thoughts.
ok, so just my opinion, it may sound corny.
The black nitride or melonite seem to feel very industrial. Its not rough but, it’s certainly not smooth to the touch. The smoke nitride treatment really smooths the feel of the finish. Think broken in pair of jeans vs the old dark blue Levi’s or Wranglers.

The finish makes me ponder why? Personally, I don’t neglect my pistols, I like to inspect and oil them often. I just feel that, for me, I believe a blued steel or matte blasted stainless is just what I prefer or like.

·
Failed all therapy
3,160 Posts
ok, so just my opinion, it may sound corny.
The black nitride or melonite seem to feel very industrial. Its not rough but, it’s certainly not smooth to the touch. The smoke nitride treatment really smooths the feel of the finish. Think broken in pair of jeans vs the old dark blue Levi’s or Wranglers.

The finish makes me ponder why? Personally, I don’t neglect my pistols, I like to inspect and oil them often. I just feel that, for me, I believe a blued steel or matte blasted stainless is just what I prefer or like.
Thank you, G.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts