Smoked Nitride... Are you a fan?

Discussion in '1911 Photo Gallery' started by Dwe, Dec 25, 2019.

1. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    Good for you :)

My Colt Commander in 38 super has been at NH since the 1st week in March having an extensive list of mods done.

I hope I'm close to seeing it completed.

JM44 likes this.
  2. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Join us others..

waiting.gif

Greg M., gps man and JM44 like this.

3. JM44

JM44 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2018
    Yup, I think this one went in around January and was a relatively simplistic “carry” build. Glad it’s on it’s way but I also have a full custom build with them that I am impatiently waiting on as well!

Mtek likes this.
  4. Mtek

Mtek Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2019
    @JM44 I can’t wait to see pics of both.

JM44 likes this.
  5. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    8 months is a longtime :mad:

6. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    No!

Why take a buffing wheel to a perfectly good finish?

To sell guns to folks who will never draw them enough to develop honest wear but want forum cred of course! The folks who sell guns with less than 200 rounds through em but like to post pictures of their latest safe queens. Trading card gun guys is what I call em.

I like the guys at NHC, and their guns, this is strictly marketing. I'm sure that Mark rightfully makes a bunch of money off folks that buy his guns but don't shoot em but want to look like they do.

Dub and simonp like this.
  7. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    I wasn't a fan but it grew on me some. I bought my 1st one and like it a lot but can't make up my mind if I like as much or better than DLC or Hard Chrome. I don't have anything against it but I don't think it would look good on just any 1911.

Smoked Nitride 10mm Commander
    NH 10MM GRP COMMANDER (3).jpg NH 10MM GRP COMMANDER (4).jpg NH GRP 10MM (3).JPG NH GRP 10MM (5).JPG NH GRP 10MM (9).JPG

RN47, cherokee2u, Greg M. and 4 others like this.
  8. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Might I suggest a thought to ponder? What do your blue jeans look like when you buy them? Chances are, you are buying prewashed, faded and slightly worn jeans. What is the difference?

duketbrd88 and wrmiller like this.
  9. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
  10. Dwe

Sep 4, 2011
    Yep

It’s official!
    I am... a fan of smoked Nitride!
    87E05C36-F620-4E94-830F-BE6BFF274E67.png

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  11. ILED93

ILED93 Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2017
    I really need to see it and handle a gun with it in person. I go back and forth on the pics I see posted. Some look good and others don't do it for me. I think the grips, options, and general attitude of the gun affect my opinion.

1911 crazed and JM44 like this.
  12. JM44

Feb 2, 2018
    one other observation I have that I believe is important to note is that the distressed characteristics of the finish are more noticeable where there are cuts, curves, etc. therefore, the cleaner the slide the less you will notice the distressed characteristics. For that reason, I find the finish to be absolutely perfect on the Trooper. If you look at it quick you won’t even notice it’s smoked unless you look at the slide stop, etc. FA3AEBAD-3F66-470D-B35B-B7D4248779BC.jpeg

13. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Wrangler doesn't wash the sub $20 pairs, I have to do that myself. I get your point, I just can't see paying for a phenomenal finish, that forever looks like the gun was actually used, but had a lesser finish and sticking it in the safe. To me it looks like a solid marketing plan pointed directly at the trading card 1911 crowd.

Dub and simonp like this.
  14. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    I don't hate the smoked nitride, but when my colt/hawk gets finished up ,it'll be wearing straight black nitride finish.

But I don't buy pre-faded, or torn jeans either. Never have, likely never will.

JM44 likes this.
  15. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    I hear what you are saying. Wasn’t trying to discount your opinion, it is very valid and spot on correct.

Many of today’s society are in a hurry. Fast food, fast shipping, constantly going and seem to love new stuff that looks old.

my apologies, I used your comment as a reflection board to get a point out.

On a related front, a buddy of mine is all about “made in the USA” rides a Harley, drives a Ford, doesn’t eat foreign food. However, he is a tech junkie. Always has to have the latest computer and audio equipment. Funny how he gets arse chapped when he is called out on that.

duketbrd88, Dub and FWoo45 like this.
  16. JM44

Feb 2, 2018
    for my Clapp Hawk I went with DLC with polished flats. I have the standard nitride, smoked nitride and DLC from them. All excellent finishes, in my opinion.

17. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    No apology necessary, I appreciate your point. As I woke up this morning to find that the pup had eaten my shoes, I wish that there was a smoked nitride option so I wouldn't have to deal with the sore feet that go with breaking in new ones.

switchback, Dub, simonp and 2 others like this.
  18. FNFAN

FNFAN Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

May 15, 2013
    Maybe the pup read of your appreciation of the distressed finish and was trying to help!?! :o.o:

Dub and FWoo45 like this.
  19. ILED93

ILED93 Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2017
    That gun looks good to me. I agree that, for me, less is more on the smoked nitride guns. I think it better lends itself to a more traditional looking pistol...the Colt Hawk for example. I just need to get one in my hands.

20. Dwe

Sep 4, 2011
    I don't look at it as a pre-faded, or pre-worn anything...
    I don't know why everyone else does either.
    I look at it as an alternative finish like, AT, HC, Nitride, DLC, Blue...
    Smoked Nitride is what it is... Smoked Nitride... Like it or not!
    You all keep comparing it to pre-worn or pre that.
    Horse Hockey!

I like it, like I do, HC, or traditional blue.
    I like Options, and Smoked Nitride is one.
    Don't like it fine... It's a free Country... or at least it used to be.
    I'm starting to wonder about that too!:bang::usa:

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted