SMOKED NITRIDE OR DLC ???

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Greg M., Sep 28, 2020.

Smoked Nitride or DLC

1. Smoked Nitride

18 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. DLC

30 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. Dub

Dub born in the wrong century

Mar 19, 2017

Beautiful guns.

Sharp looking finish on each.

Could you guesstimate what the round count is on each at the time the pics were taken ?

Carrying style ?

Kydex ? Leather?

Trying to get a feel for how durable the finishes are.

Great looking pistols.

livinthelife, FWoo45 and simonp like this.
  2. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Colt Rail Gun 012.JPG A few different DLC pistols each prepped a touch differently.[​IMG] C-bob Frank Woodmansee 050.JPG Sleeper Colt 007.JPG Colt Rail Gun 008.JPG

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Eddie D, livinthelife, FWoo45 and 4 others like this.

3. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    @FWoo45 carries his c-bob in kydex I believe he said. With no wear for near a year now

Uncle Bob, FWoo45 and Dub like this.
  4. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    DUB, sorry, wish I could help but 0 rounds fired & 0 carry so far.

Dub likes this.
  5. Dub

Mar 19, 2017

That one was foremost DLC pistola in my mind.

I know he's trained with it...classes....etc. Carries in kydex and lots of draws. Last pics I saw of it looked flawless.

Mighty impressive finish and a super looking gun all the way around. I think he knows a guy...... :)

6. Dub

Mar 19, 2017
    Understood.

I'll bet those will each be very much enjoyed and excellent performers.

7. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    GREG, I'm trying to help you decide buddy not show pics, but here's a Commander NH in 10mm that I got that was black-out with Smoked Nitride finish. It's beautiful in your hands!

NH 10MM GRP COMMANDER (2).jpg NH 10MM GRP COMMANDER (3).jpg NH 10MM GRP COMMANDER (4).jpg NH GRP 10MM (3).JPG NH GRP 10MM (5).JPG NH GRP 10MM (9).JPG

livinthelife, Bender, Roehl and 7 others like this.
  8. AGENT P

AGENT P 1911 'TIL DEATH DO US PART

Jun 24, 2019
    DLC
    But I like the looks of smoke nitride.

livinthelife, Bender and Lineman1982 like this.
  9. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    [email protected] answered this same question when I asked about finishes on my Colt, "both are good, tough finishes; with DLC being the best finish we offer." My Colt will be finished in black nitride.

FWoo45 and Integrity Arms like this.
  10. AGENT P

AGENT P 1911 'TIL DEATH DO US PART

Jun 24, 2019
    I've seen you post a lot of guns but man this one is by far my favorite.
    It just speaks to me. Super nice and glad you posted it, it's beautiful.

cherokee2u and Lineman1982 like this.
  11. Greg M.

Greg M. Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 6, 2020

I’ve never seen him post one that didn’t have some mess to say to me haha. Jim those look amazing as always. I’m leaning at doing maybe one and one. Just well because I can’t make my mind up.

Eddie D, cherokee2u and AGENT P like this.
  12. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    what fun that would be? Then people wouldn't have anything to come to forums about how their finish is shoddy ;)

FWoo45, DWdude and Greg M. like this.
  13. retrieverman

retrieverman Well-Known Member

May 16, 2013
    Both guns SteveO has reworked for me have DLC, and so far, I’m loving it. I’ve got a Baer I bought second hand that’s been nitrided (not smoked), and I like it too. As has been said, the DLC is supposed to less “harmful” to the metal, but I wouldn’t have a problem getting a gun nitrided BY THE RIGHT PERSON.
    As for the “smoked nitride”, in my opinion, it’s like my daughter buying jeans that are already faded out and with holes in them, but whatever turns your crank.

14. Roehl

Roehl Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2019
    I like them both. My STI Combat Master and and STI DVC Omni are DLC I believe and my GI NN is nitride. They both look great. Granted no holster wear but they both are beautiful finishes. Wish they would make a durable finish that would mimick that old Walther blue or that old Colt blue. Esthetically the best finish ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Integrity Arms and Greg M. like this.
  15. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    I had a little driveway moment reading this thread so I just wiped the lint off the ole see Bob an snapped a couple of pics. I haven't been shooting or taken any classes since the chi-na virus shutdown but I'll thankfully be knocking the dust off next week. 6kish down the pipe plus (not enough) dryfire. Vedder lite tuck for a little under a year, leather before that. I tried to capture any flaws and wiped off most of the lint. There is a tiny chip on either side of the slide, probably from before I watched Rob's video on field stripping with out a bushing wrench. You can see the wear on the rear sight from where it hits the sweat shield if I draw into my body. Don't think it's coated though, there is wear on the aluminum trigger but I don't care and knew it was going to happen. The slide looks as it did new. 20200928_182355.jpg 20200928_182334.jpg 20200928_182321.jpg 20200928_182319.jpg 20200928_182311.jpg
    On second thought, maybe those chips didn't come from a bushing wrench. No idea what I did but I haven't noticed before. Probably threw it at the TV watching the news.

I'm super impressed with this finish. I like nitrided guns too, just prefer to wear em in the honest way. Whatever floats your boat. I may be judgemental, but I'll keep it to myself.

Dub, Eddie D, switchback and 5 others like this.
  16. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    I’ve really started to think about having the Pro refinished with DLC.
    Everything except slide flats matte blasted. Slide flats brushed

17. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I will say if there is any draw backs to the DLC it's that it is a thin coating. Doesn't wear great on aluminum It chips or wears more readily on that because of the softer substrate under the finish. Because if it being so thin and hard it you do bang the pistol against something hard enough (I mean hard, it can chip) However the thinner application is also a plus in that dimensional tolerances aren't changed enough to alter the fit of the piece. It's friction resistant, and lubricious.

So imo all in all it's one of the best but, let's face it, a indestructible firearm finish doesn't exist like our human bodies they can only take so much wear and tear before giving up at some juncture. Nitride is IMO as wearable a finish as you'll find as well but also comes with its draw backs. I wish there was a perfect finish I'd be using that lol. But, for now DLC is the best offering out there imo.

stlgecko, FWoo45, Dub and 3 others like this.
  18. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Steve, what's your opinion about hard chrome finish?

Greg M. and Integrity Arms like this.
  19. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Very durable but, seems to be very difficult to find someone who can get consistent and even results. I know a couple Smiths who use it a lot but, have changed applicators numerous times due to inconsistencies in the thickness, appearance stripping prior to coating certain other finishes etc. Then there is the dimensional addition of material to an already prepped and fitted surface. So this has to be taken into account prior to coating and your kind of just guessing how undersized to make mating parts so that things fit back up when coating is applied. Hard as nails and very durable but, seems to me very hard to guess the actual added material. As a gunsmith imo there is nothing worse then fitting a gun then sending it off for finish and then nothing fits properly when it comes back. What a nightmare.. With DLC, bluing, and just SS blasted you know what your getting. If a hard chrome job comes back messed up then it has to be stripped and re-applied. Then that can cause more dimensional issues. I'm a bit Leary of the process for these reasons. But, properly done it's proven to be very durable and quite a great finish. But, again from horror stories I hear about getting it done correctly it's something I opt to stay away from..

FWoo45, Dub and Greg M. like this.
  20. Greenrunner

Greenrunner Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Just my opinion, but if a manufacturer, esp. a non-custom manufacturer like DW that is selling to the masses, is going to sell a gun with a finish that cannot hold up to an ordinary military grade/issue cleaner/lube like Break Free, they need to be a lot louder about warning potential buyers, instead of burying a warning in the manual. Most everyone on this forum knows about this issue, but what percentage of gun owners know?

Having launched my standard rant against nitride, I will say that DLC is great. It will wear but so will anything.

There also was a long thread (OP was @B81 I believe) about some durability problems with the metal on a nitrided gun. Some of the well known gunsmiths chimed in and there was some discussion about metal becoming brittle due to nitriding.

FWoo45 and Greg M. like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted