1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get a nice set of grips for my ACW. In my opinion, grips with a smooth finish would look the best on this gun. All of my guns have grips that are checkered or have some form of texture and I'm concerned that I wouldn't be happy with the feel/function of smooth grips. I don't know of anyone that has a gun with smooth grips that I could try. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Apart from ivory smooth grips never look “right” to me but just a personal opinion. All my guns have double diamond patterns, both for visual appeal & grip. Obviously smooth must work for some but I prefer something grippy when it comes to grips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
NRA Endowment member
3,727 Posts
I think the random/uneven border checkering that is done on Cherokee Hills wood grips look the best of both worlds and function. It’s not true checkering but more like rough stippling effect. YMMV

·
Premium Member
3,902 Posts
I run various grips including checkered, smooth and Bobs stippled. I personally like aggressive grips so the checkered are best suited for me. With that said I just put a smooth pair of Bobs on my CQBE and was shooting it exceptionally well but I only put a box through it. I wouldn’t suggest the smooth for extensive shooting, when your hands are sweaty, etc.

I personally would buy them and at the very least you have a nice pair of dress up grips but you likely shouldn’t listen to me because currently I am as much of a grip addict as I am 1911 addict....

·
Registered
9,505 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the random/uneven border checkering that is done on Cherokee Hills wood grips look the best of both worlds and function. It’s not true checkering but more like rough stippling effect. YMMV
I've been looking at those and really like them. I want the grips/gun to look good but more importantly I want to enjoy shooting the gun. I'm afraid my old, weak hands would not like shooting with totally smooth grips.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Smooth on my Custom Commander, Box Elder with great grain and they're pressure treated with an epoxy so no problems after 10+ years with the softer wood.
MSH and front strap are 25LPI checkered and that solves the grip issue.
I push on the frt strap and back strap any how so what's on the sides just fills the void so to speak.
Personally like smooth for my carry gun

Reactions: Kip

·
Registered
521 Posts
ACW is a 1911????? Need textured grips. I don't want it to move when I shoot. They're ugly but some of the new laminated grips like VZs are really good for shooting. Checkered walnut also works and looks better. Save the smooth ones for the BBQ.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.