1911 Firearm Addicts banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
Guys, learn to reload. I only shot 38spl in my cowboy gun (Ruger Blackhawk). 357 +P in a Blackhawk wears you down. I can post my cowboy gun load, it's reasonable compared to 38 +P. That's cheaper ammo and less wear and tear especially with a J frame. Be advised, shoot 38+P in them sparingly.

·
What me worry ?
11,709 Posts
Yessir, I too had to have one of these , it’s light ,it’s cool ,it’s loud and shoots fire out the front !
Couldn’t wait to fire a couple of full house .357s through it ——- they tell me the cast comes off soon
🥵

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,915 Posts
I ran a cylinder of 9x23 Winchesters through my 13oz 360J and survived, I don't want to hear any whining about .357mags in a snubby.

·
What me worry ?
11,709 Posts
I ran a cylinder of 9x23 Winchesters through my 13oz 360J and survived, I don't want to hear any whining about .357mags in a snubby.
Easy now big boy or I’ll stop showing you all the obscene things I’ve been up to with my itty Bitty Farm hat lately, remember Bike weeks coming up ! 🤣 :p

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,915 Posts
Easy now big boy or I’ll stop showing you all the obscene things I’ve been up to with my itty Bitty Farm hat lately, remember Bike weeks coming up ! 🤣 :p
Your hat has seen way more action than any of mine! We'll all be expecting to see an expansive portfolio of bike week pics. 😁

Reactions: gps man and tac45

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a S&W 940 and it was heavy and I shot a 642 of a friends and it was amazing.
I sold my 940 and used those funds to purchase a used 642 and a new 940 cylinder from S&W.
I also had Mark Hartshorne from Pinnacle High Performance fit the cylinder.
It is a great gun and something the S&W should have produced.
Here is the 642 with my S&W 65 that was also modified by Mark removing the original 3" bull barrel and putting on a 4" standard barrel and cut the cylinder for 357 moonclips.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Everyone needs at least one J frame snubby and the 642 is just about the perfect pocket gun. However, IME, .38spls or .357s in moonclips are even worse than speedloaders, the rounds fit tighter in a speed loader so they move less. Trying to load a snubby with moonclipped .38s is like trying to stuff a 5 legged spider in there. I like moonclips but they work best with short rounded cartridges like .45ACP and 9mm.

My most used snubby is my 360J Convertible, it was my BUG on the job, the perfect "Get the f**k off me" gun and still gets carried regularly. It's got a lot of miles on it and has been all over the country with me. Mark Hartshorne did a lot work on it for me back in 2008 including rechambering the original steel cylinder to 9x23 so it'll shoot 9mm, .38 Super, etc, and and I had him fit a titanium .38spl cylinder to it a few years later. If I'm carrying it with .38 cylinder I carry speed strips for my reloads.
View attachment 722658
I completely agree about the difficulty in trying to jamb a moonclip full of .38's into any handgun and to take that to the extreme level, I have a 7 shot .357 cut for moonclips.
What the moonclips really do is make for easy loading of the initial load and they also make for perfect extraction of the entire cylinder of spent cartridges. From there I go to speedstrips.
BTW, I gave sold the 642 to my son-in-law BUT kept my favorite, a 340PD.

[url=https://postimages.org/][/URL]

Much heavier but if you are into all steel snubbies don't forget Kimber's six shot K6s. After owning one for a couple of years, I sold all my other steel S&W's
[url=https://postimages.org/][/URL]

21 - 40 of 60 Posts