1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have this mint 1976 Combat Commander.....

Not sure if I should leave it alone or send it somewhere and have some work done. I’ve only send guns out for restoration never for customization.

What would you have done to it if it was yours?

And where would you send it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,390 Posts
That's really nice. You'd have a hard time finding another one in such nice shape. Given a choice, I'd probably leave it alone and buy a new one to have customized. I used a new Wiley Clapp Commander for a build and it worked out great.

·
1911 'TIL DEATH DO US PART
24,342 Posts
And where would you send it
I would most definitely send it to @AGENT P !
From what I've heard he needs a Colt in his collection but I think he would prefer a 38 super commander.
That said this one would certainly scratch that itch.
Very nice Colt congrats.
The answer will come to you just follow your true desires.
If you end up needing my address just private message me and I'll get you my FFL dealer information. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
What do you do with a gun too pretty to fix up to suit yourself?

My Combat Commander was not pristine so I didn't mind changing sights and trigger, adding a beavertail and a fitted barrel. It is probably my most accurate .45... from a Ransom Rest, the 3/4" shorter sight radius and light muzzle make it harder to shoot well handheld.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I was thinking of a retro type project for one. I traded into a 1982 which is on top below. It had not been shot much but my friend had thrown the original box etc. out. I do shoot it every now and then. Next I found the one on the bottom in a LGS for $650. It was made in 1980 and again no box etc.

Even though I field stripped the 1980 in the LGS, when I detail stripped it I was sort of surprised. It appears a previous owner had got a new barrel bushing and link for it.

I used the 1980 for my project. I used a EGW ignition kit which includes a new main and sear spring plus a new sear and disconnector. I also put in a new recoil and firing pin spring. I used a new all black Commander hammer from Colt. My hand likes a flat MSH and long trigger so I used a flat Colt MSH and a long Harrison Design trigger. I also used a new Titanium firing pin from Colt. I put on some new stocks from Altamont secured with new Colt grip screws.

It is fun to take it out and shoot it next to the 1982 where I have not made any changes.

I got a Plano pistol case and all the take off parts are in there. And I was happy that a Ciener 22 Conversion in "Commander" size I bought years ago (back when Brownells was selling Ciener kits) fits perfectly.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Beautiful Colt Combat Commander. I just sent off a 1971 very similar to yours to Nighthawk for “re-work”. I’d say keep it stock or make it yours. Either way you can’t go wrong as long as you enjoy it.

·
just one more
656 Posts
Don't be afraid to cut it up, but I wouldn't "restore" it. In my mind it's currently restored perfectly, b/c original. Either way I'd shoot it, maybe carry it, and enjoy it. It a gun and it's worth grows by being shot.

If it were mine, I might have it chopped to cco grip size and add a magwell, but that would seriously depend on cost. Front strap checkering, highcut/ undercut trigger guard, beavertail with speedbump, useable sights, and I'd want a nice trigger job unless it's good as is. I might splurge for blued screws and a flush cut slide stop, b/c that dressed up pic of HPGURU's is drool worthy. However, I'd leave the slide alone except sites, as honest wear is part of the charm of the gun for me.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts