1911 Firearm Addicts banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Send it to Jason Burton and then shoot the hell out of it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: 1911 crazed

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Beautiful pistol, but I am amazed at how dated it looks when compared to what is available now.

Maybe send it to Alchemy?

·
Registered
34 Posts
For restoration - Turnbull
For customization - Heirloom Precision

Not sure of the wait times for HP.
I agree esp with Heirloom.
But the door ticket is high aside from add ons.
The guy who bought my blued 1973 boxed pristine 9mm Colt MK4 series 70 sent it to Heirloom. Money ontop of money.
A personal choice. His happy.

If you got it free, then do what you like.

Good luck with it !! Nice pistol.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
I agree esp with Heirloom.
But the door ticket is high aside from add ons.
The guy who bought my blued 1973 boxed pristine 9mm Colt MK4 series 70 sent it to Heirloom. Money ontop of money.
A personal choice. His happy.

If you got it free, then do what you like.

Good luck with it !! Nice pistol.
To quote @pistolwretch "Cheap, fast, good- pick any two" you get what you pay for, sending it off to HP wont be cheap or fast but youll have a gun you can shoot for the rest of your life and a return on investment. With a Colt as beautiful as this, it deserves to go to a top smith.

·
Registered
43 Posts
A few years ago I found a ‘70 combat commander- not as nice but in good condition, no box for $500 then sent it to Don Williams in an effort to keep period correct look adding safety, grip safety, egw bushing, heine sights and worked over the original trigger parts. If I did it again would go with the Harrison retro sights.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
A few years ago I found a ‘70 combat commander- not as nice but in good condition, no box for $500 then sent it to Don Williams in an effort to keep period correct look adding safety, grip safety, egw bushing, heine sights and worked over the original trigger parts. If I did it again would go with the Harrison retro sights.
Don doesn’t get on the forums or get the press some smiths do which is unfortunate because he does top tier work & is truly a pleasure to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
189 Posts
It doesn't sound like it is your carry at all, so a nice set of dark wood grips or pearl, or a set you really love. Call it yours then, but keep the original beauty, imo.
Beautiful piece!
;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
To start off by repeating what others have said, that is a stunning, beautiful gun.

I don’t have the wherewithal to patronize Mr. Yost or Mr. Burton, but you can be sure that they would return to you a piece even more magnificent and perfect than when it started.

My own choice would be to send the gun to Wilson Combat, and to get a modern beavertail, thumb safety, and sighting system. I’d also spring for a flat mainspring housing, checkering front and rear, and a beveled magwell. Finally, I probably get a light “carry” softening of the various sharp corners and edges of the gun. I’m sure that you could find someone to reproduce to the bluing, and you’d have a gun as capable as any other modern pistol pistol out there while retaining the panache of the original.

There’s also nothing wrong with just leaving it as is.

·
الواحد
1,225 Posts
1. Send it to me! It’ll have a good life!
2. If #1 is not an option I would send it to Integrity Arms, Alchemy or NightHawk for:
-High cut all around
-Front Strap texture
-Novak sights
-Full trigger and action job (leave the trigger bar and hammer) or flat trigger
-Tight slide to frame fit
-French border
-DLC or Nitrite the entire gun
-Flush and crown the barrel
-Maybe a magwell
***keep the grips or if using a magwell I’d have some magwell cut ivory grips added
That’s what I’d do

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Leave it alone. Don't do anything to it.

You don't need to do anything to it to "make it yours".
It's already yours.

It's a classic Colt that can't be replaced.
I had a ‘78 CC, and that’s what I did. Someone did come along and offered way too much $$ for it, so it went to a new home. (It wasn’t a family heirloom like yours is, or it’d have never been sold.)

I currently have a pristine 1985 Colt Lt. Commander (one of only 500) that’s 100% original, so it’s staying that way.

Wood Gun Brown Firearm Photograph

I have plenty of other 1911’s to carry and shoot, and it sounds like you do too; so why mess with it?

21 - 40 of 56 Posts