1911 Firearm Addicts banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
11,341 Posts
So I have this mint 1976 Combat Commander.....

Not sure if I should leave it alone or send it somewhere and have some work done. I’ve only send guns out for restoration never for customization.

What would you have done to it if it was yours?

And where would you send it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Karl Benning, Steve Owens or Jason Burton. Great pistols! Far better than the LWCs.

Back in the day I would have said Jim Hoag

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,390 Posts

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,390 Posts
If they were so good, why do people like Karl Beining and Jason Burton make them so much nicer to the point if being heirlooms?

Few of us that bought Colts in the 70s left them close to stock. They got improved.
The custom work on a gun or anything else isn't what makes that item an "heirloom".

In the case of this gun, 50 years later, the value and beauty is in it's originality. Sure everybody was having work done on them in the '70s, that's what makes this particular example stand out - it's unmolested, it escaped being cut up and modified. If this gun was beat up or had been previously "improved" I'd be all for using it as a base for a build but it isn't, it's a very nice original example and there are fewer of those around all the time.

Some things are best left alone. I could take my '52 Chevy truck and "improve" it - change the suspension, steering, drivetrain, paint it - make it more modern. It would be easier to drive and more comfortable, but would it be better? Would losing that originality, that is so rare these days, be worth it? I don't think so, the fun of owning it is that I'm stepping back 70 years every time I drive it. It forces me to slow down and not be in a rush, gives me time to take in my surroundings and experience the ride to wherever I'm going rather than be isolated from the world in a climate controlled glass and plastic capsule. It can be good to enjoy things for just what they are.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think im with the leave it alone crowd. I have a 1976 lightweight commander that is set up exactly the same (but well used) , those old style sights are not the greatest compared to modern ones but they are so low profile that its great for a carry gun

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
If I wasn't going to carry it, I would sell it and get something I would use.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
The custom work on a gun or anything else isn't what makes that item an "heirloom".

In the case of this gun, 50 years later, the value and beauty is in it's originality. Sure everybody was having work done on them in the '70s, that's what makes this particular example stand out - it's unmolested, it escaped being cut up and modified. If this gun was beat up or had been previously "improved" I'd be all for using it as a base for a build but it isn't, it's a very nice original example and there are fewer of those around all the time.

Some things are best left alone. I could take my '52 Chevy truck and "improve" it - change the suspension, steering, drivetrain, paint it - make it more modern. It would be easier to drive and more comfortable, but would it be better? Would losing that originality, that is so rare these days, be worth it? I don't think so, the fun of owning it is that I'm stepping back 70 years every time I drive it. It forces me to slow down and not be in a rush, gives me time to take in my surroundings and experience the ride to wherever I'm going rather than be isolated from the world in a climate controlled glass and plastic capsule. It can be good to enjoy things for just what they are.
This is the way.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts