So many holsters......

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by leadfarmer, Mar 17, 2019.

1. leadfarmer

leadfarmer Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2018
    I would like to start carrying a commander but cant figure out which holster I should buy. I sure dont want to go through as many as I did for my daily carry piece. I use a IWB kydex holster for my plastic piece and it is hard on the finish on the slide which I dont mind for this gun.
    I dont know if I will like the weight of a 1911 for carry but would like to give it a try. I have quite a few 1911s that I only use at the range. I like a tuck able style but mabe that's not what I should start out with.
    I would like to hear your thoughts on Holsters.
    I cant afford to buy to many at the price they seem to be to find one I like.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    Warbird for IWB and TT Gunleather for OWB.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Dave Jessee

Dave Jessee Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 31, 2014
    Sparks Criterion for IWB. For a nice Quick on/Quick off belt holster a TT Gunleather High Ride Snap.

For high and tight OWB comfort it's hard to beat my Tucker HF-1.

10mm Guy, 1L26, leadfarmer and 2 others like this.
  4. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I carry IWB in a Milt Sparks Criterion. The magnetic belt clips aren't tuckable, but I really like how easy they are taking the holster on/off. It rides low in the waist with plenty of cant to hide the gun. I find it extremely comfortable. I often take a snooze on the couch with it on.

thumbnail_IMG_0725.jpg

10mm Guy, 1L26, 1911 dawg and 5 others like this.
  5. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Another vote for the Sparks Criterion. Used to think the VMII was the best IWB holster until I bought a Criterion a little over a year ago. Now I have Criterions for everything.

Mr. Knight and 1L26 like this.
  6. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Milt Sparks Versa Max II

1L26 and Harleyvato like this.
  7. RIS

RIS Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2019
    I vote for an R Grizzle Town and Country Two. Very comfortable, conceals great, and an awesome guy to deal with. He also has a hybrid holster that can be carried IWB and OWB. I plan on trying that next for economic purposes.

1911 dawg likes this.
  8. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    For IWB, I've been impressed with how well the Milt Sparks Summer Special carries my full size 1911. The rough out leather really helps to keep the holster glued to your body as you move about.

20181228_185203.jpg 20181228_185241.jpg

For OWB carry, I've been trying out a new rig made for me by Warbird

20190311_190728.jpg

20190311_184716.jpg

Mike Meints, FWoo45, cgff and 2 others like this.
  9. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    Currently using a Milt Sparks Summer Special , have an Overland Gun Leather on order [​IMG]

10. leadfarmer

Jun 13, 2018
    These IWB just look so bulky, does the leather collapse when gun comes out ? Tell what you like about your choice.
    You guys have some good looking leather.

11. InstiGator

Jan 21, 2019
    The Criterion has a reinforced mouth. It stays open for re-holstering.

ETA: If you're worried about bulky, the Summer Special II is also reinforced and a very popular, classic design. Personally, I think the wide-spread loops on the Criterion support the weight of a steel gun better and they don't print as much for me, but different strokes for different folks.

jimkahler, FWoo45, 10mm Guy and 2 others like this.
  12. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    Milt Sparks Summer Special holds shape extremely well , re holstering is easy .

leadfarmer likes this.
  13. 1L26

1L26 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Sparks Criterion! No doubt about it.

10mm Guy and leadfarmer like this.
  14. krunchnik

krunchnik THE CROW Supporting Addict

Mar 6, 2012
    Mostly all TT Gunleather for OWB and I do own a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe for the occasional IWB carry.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. leadfarmer

Jun 13, 2018
    Ok, I have been on Milt Sparks site for 2 days now and am no closer than before. Other than I believe that is who will get my order. Tell my why I shouldn't try the Nexus as compared to the Criterion. Also up to 18 weeks for delivery so I dont want to get something I'm not satisfied with.
    I an not taking your recommendations for granted as many of you have said to choose a Criterion. Would just like to know why. Thanks for your help

16. Yellowsupersport

Yellowsupersport Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Another vote for a Sparks Summer Special. I use one on a Daltech steel reinforced belt to aiwb my TRP, so no worries about it handling weight - a commander will be a non-issue. The mouth doesn’t collapse and I can safely reholster one-handed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leadfarmer likes this.
  17. InstiGator

Jan 21, 2019
    I wore a Nexus daily for years and I still think it's a heck of a holster. The lack of a reinforced mouth makes it a little thinner in your pants and more flexible. I still think it's a bit more comfortable than a Criterion.

Then I got a Criterion as a gift this past Christmas and started wearing it to break in. I never had much of an issue re-holstering with a Nexus but it's so much easier with a Criterion. I practice my draw a lot, so I've really appreciated the difference. If I didn't I'd probably go back to the Nexus for the slight edge in comfort, and who knows? I still might at some point.

I guess it comes down to which side of that decision you come down on.

leadfarmer likes this.
  18. leadfarmer

Jun 13, 2018
    I thought I read on his site that all his IWB had metal reinforcements. I will check that again. Also if not, does the leather fully collapse when gun is drawn?

19. 10mm Guy

10mm Guy Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2018
    Yet another vote for the Criterion for IWB....I've tried quite a few holsters and between the easy to use magnetic snaps, the depth of carry, the cant, and the weight distribution, it outshines ever other leather IWB I've tried.

Good luck with your decision!

leadfarmer and gps man like this.
  20. InstiGator

Jan 21, 2019
    Go to the Sparks webpage for the Criterion and check out the first paragraph.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted