1911 Firearm Addicts banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Im with @FWoo45 never, ever use shock buffs. If you have the proper spring in your gun they are unnecessary and that is the best one can say about them. They have been known to get chewed up, entangled with the springs, jam up guns. They were created way back when by Armand Swenson when so many other refinements and offerings, like different strength springs weren't readily available like they are today. Back then, people would put them in their gun for range use and take them out afterwards when they carried their gun - Ive heard these stories from John Jardine, who helped his uncle make and distribute them. First time I showed him a wilson I had picked up with a shock buff installed by the prior owner he had some choice words and sent that thing flying through the air (shock buff that is).
That’s an excellent point. You might put any doodad you like on a range toy, but your carry gun might be better as no-nonsense as possible.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I like the C&S Light Pull Sear Springs myself.

I don’t like Shok Buffs, two.piece guide rods, or heavier than standard spring rates.

·
Registered
496 Posts
If Wilson or Springco recoil springs measured consistently or true to their rating, I'd run them. Why would I want a 8 pound spring that says 11 on the package?

Instead, I buy Wolff, becuase they do. Keep them on hand in weights you use. Cheap convenience.

I keep mag catch springs and mainsprings on hand too. Mostly since I often have new guns in my inventory so it helps set them up with known springs rather than what randomness they come in with.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I like the C&S Light Pull Sear Springs myself.

I don’t like Shok Buffs, two.piece guide rods, or heavier than standard spring rates.
Ooofdah. You’d want a hard pass on shooting 2/3rds of my guns. 😳

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
If Wilson or Springco recoil springs measured consistently or true to their rating, I'd run them. Why would I want a 8 pound spring that says 11 on the package?

Instead, I buy Wolff, becuase they do. Keep them on hand in weights you use. Cheap convenience.

I keep mag catch springs and mainsprings on hand too. Mostly since I often have new guns in my inventory so it helps set them up with known springs rather than what randomness they come in with.
Strange, my experience with Sprinco has been quite the opposite.
Granted I have used only .45 Auto springs but when I started with them about five years ago I did compression and weight measurements on all the springs from 14 to 22 pounds both in Government and Commander length and they always were within + or - 5%.
At the 10,000 round mark a retest was done and no spring had dropped below 8%. My results with Wolf had not been nearly so good when new and at the 3000 round mark.
Just one persons experience but I do shoot nearly daily and they have worked well for me.

·
Registered
820 Posts
You don't want them on your range pistols either.
Ok.

No outside shooting here through the weekend, it’s too hot and we’re getting lots of wildfire smoke. I’ve been waiting for the weekend to go out to the range. I’ll remove the shock buffs and train without them. At least for awhile.

·
Premium Member
8,126 Posts
Ok.

No outside shooting here through the weekend, it’s too hot and we’re getting lots of wildfire smoke. I’ve been waiting for the weekend to go out to the range. I’ll remove the shock buffs and train without them. At least for awhile.
If you're worried about frame battering, just go with a heavier recoil spring. You may have to experiment with them depending on the ammo you shoot. All of my reloads are still running hardball equivalent loads. Lightest 45acp recoil spring is 18.5. My old IPSC load had a 22lb recoil spring in them with a BarSto buffer (no longer made by Jr).

21 - 31 of 31 Posts