So...Ruger CEO calls my LGS over email...........

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by ravenkeeper98, Oct 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98 Member

Aug 24, 2011
    I was at the local gun show this weekend, first one in about 9 years to be local, and I run into one of the owners of a small local shop here. I asked him if he has seen any of the SR1911 around (at the list price, not the jacked up $900+). He said that it was funny I asked him. Recently he got a call from the CEO of Ruger. LGS owner's partner has sent an email to Ruger wanting answers as to why the shipping dept of thier factory keeps saying that they are sending out 1200 of them a week, and none of his 6 distributors has any.

The Ruger CEO did a little research of my LGS owner before he called (called all the distributors, checked his web page and even knew the guys age).

Anyway, the CEO asked him if he had this guy that works for him, he said yes, he is my partner. CEO then asks, "do you know about the email he sent saying that our shipping department is lying to you?" LGS owner answers, yes. CEO "what do you think about it?" LGS "I agree with all of it"

They had a nice 30 min talk on the phone. Turns out the Ruger shipping has been telling the LGS and his distributors that 1200 are being shipped "every Friday". Ruger CEO basically admitts that is not correct. It turns out that Ruger is not concidering the SR1911 a priority product at the moment and is putting all of the effort into the SR9 and SR40 lines, and do not plan on upping the production of the SR1911 until "maybe mid spring next year".

Straight from Ruger CEO the best daily run they have had for the SR1911 was 45 a day, and average only 10-15 a day only. There is no way that Ruger can ship 1200 weekly at the moment.

So people like me, that will not break down and buy one for $900+ off Gun Broker is stuck waiting till Summer at the earliest:mad2:

So if there is anyone else out there like me, that is the word directly from the CEO himself.

I'm just a lil curious as to why all the ads and fanfare over the SR1911 when it is still just a low number run for at least the next 6 months!

2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Thanks for the heads up.

3. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Yep....supply < demand = price gouging. Sucks for the enduser either way.

4. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    I doubt Vance's has any left. they had a lot in stock for a Ruger Day a few weeks back. Selling for $699

5. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98 Member

Aug 24, 2011
    No problem

LGS was getting tired of telling about 10 customers that are willing to buy right now, "just wait another week, they are sending out 1200 weekly" for months now. LGS owner told CEO "I just want to know the truth, so I can stop stringing my customers along and was tired of being lied to by your shipping warehouse."

He also told him to check out what Davidson's is doing with the ones they are getting, by holding on to them untill they get a few, then sell them at a premium well over the list.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  6. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98 Member

Aug 24, 2011
    LGS owner said one was at the show for $675 early, but sold quick. I had to work that morning and got to the show late:frusty:

I did see a Glock 17L NIB for $649, I almost bought it, but that would have taken an extra car payment from me when I'm trying to pay that off before my Mil pay stops. I was so close to offering up $600 cash for it, so hard to find the G17L any more.

7. kentucky_smith

kentucky_smith Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Lot of other good 1911s out there. Meanwhile I know a lot of small gunmstores that are overstocked with Rugers and Taurii pistols.

8. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    Who the F would pay $900+ for a Ruger 1911? :der:

9. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    ^^^this^^^

10. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    I am glad my dealer is in good with Ruger. Mine will be here in a few weeks, and I just told him to get me one two weeks ago.

11. Nick

Nick Member

Aug 22, 2011
    That's pretty much what all the other dealers are saying too. :animlol:

12. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    He is a friend, so he shoots me straight. Plus, He had some in stock, but were already spoken for.

13. 230gr

230gr Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    10-15 a day let's all you suckers beta test their new product...and develop a somewhat artificial demand with short production.

14. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Thanks for confirming what a lot of us thought!

I work in a small gunshop on the weekends and I can tell the hype works.People are always asking when we will get some.We are not a "super store",just a small family owned operation so I would suspect we are not going to see any for a LOOOOONG time.

Now I can give the owner a heads up.
    We will probably just order more R1's and S&W E series 1911's rather than wait for this "flash in the pan". :rolleyes2:

DAT85

15. zaskar017

zaskar017 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    So Ruger is taking productions pointers from Colt?
    Interesting...

Create demand by lowering the supply

16. 230gr

230gr Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    It seems produce a short supply of good to very good guns, create demand while beta testing which if they're producing good guns, initial field reports will be very good. Then they ramp up production in 2012, quality goes down (how much?) but demand likely stays high because they've got you conditioned to thinking great guns, high demand when it's really good guns and artificially choking the supply.

Ive heard it all...1200 guns a week, now it's 10-15 a day, also heard they're not out and available to the general public yet....it's comical.

17. minderasr

minderasr Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Funny thing, I bought mine from a small, family owned operation. They had one in stock that was spoken for, claiming to have more on the way. I put down a deposit and had mine a month later. That was back in May.

I can say this, to all you people impatiently waiting. It's worth the wait.

:smilie:

18. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Not that I'm disbelieving of you or your LGS owner, but I am a bit disbelieving the person who called is actually the CEO.

More likely someone in their Marketing dept., but who knows?

BTW, this was the word back in august from some serious Ruger collectors with friends/contacts in the company:
    http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=123656&sid=0206dfde46899a683ef0676b15554c7a

19. kentucky_smith

kentucky_smith Member

Sep 13, 2011
    It's bizarro world. Meanwhile, all the lgs' around here are packed to the gills with LCP's, LCR's, LC9's, Blackhawks, MK III's, 77's, 10-22s, min14's, Single sixes, blackhawks that Ellet Bros and other distibutors are pushing. They're not selling.

20. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    side note. LGS owner last week told me the Colt Defender passed the LC9 as the best seller for the week or whatever. is this true?

2nd side note. another LGS owner told me Kimber reported being 30,000 pistols behind schedule.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted