So, What's The Consensus on Ruger's 1911s?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Nicholst55, Aug 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith

Sep 11, 2011
    5.7 is literally the dumbest caliber for a pistol ever...

2. mtkamark

mtkamark Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Feb 1, 2020
    Zoid Thanks for sharing your rust - corrosion photos

ZoidMeister likes this.

3. Jennifers

Jennifers Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Yeah, I was wondering about Billy Ruger's "capitulation" over guns/mags, as he was a HUGE statist and snob. He STARTED the hi-cap mag ban, GUNS mag did a whole series on it back in the day, including copies of the letter he sent to EVERY Commieman in CONgress wanting them banned as "the common man on the street does not need high capacity magazines and they should be banned!"

Want to thank anyone for banning military surplus? Again, Slick Willie Ruger! Again read your GUNS magazine where they published Slick's letter wanting all mil surplus banned! ESPECIALLY the AKs and SKS, the AK because it had that nasty "hi-cap" mag and the SKS as it was FAR cheaper, FAR more accurate and FAR better than his POS Mini-30 that couldn't hit the side of a barn from the inside. Yes, most of them were 12" at 100 yards with ANY/ALL ammo, and that was on a good day! He refused to sell the Mini-14 to the public, refused to sell the factory 20rd mags to the public, etc., etc. The QC/CS ALWAYS sucked too, not just to bad lately!

There are whole lists of quotes by Billy where he trashes gun owners, hi-cap mags, supports gun laws (Chuckie Heston was another traitor too, just go look up his record! Why do you think he was never seen with an auto ANYTHING, only break open shotgun or muzzleloader?! Oh it was OK for HIM to collect full-auto, same as the National Vegetable, Jim Brady, but not for the unwashed masses!) the list is endless

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    forester4259 likes this.
  4. Trashyshoots

Trashyshoots Active Member

Apr 3, 2020
    I like 5.7, 9x25 dillon and in theory i would like 224 boz. Curious, why do you feel that way about 5.7?

5. Schoenborn

Schoenborn Member

Jul 14, 2020
    I handled one at a local Murdochs the other day. Thought it was a nice gun. I didn't end up purchasing it, but I think you could make worse choices. I think overall Ruger is making pretty nice stuff right now.

6. CoalCracker.

CoalCracker. Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2020
    Im an RIA fan. My 1st 1911 was a RIA. And i stuck with the brand. They have great customer service. I needed a new slide stop. On my one 45. Send it in and we will take care of it. They paid for 2 day shipping both ways and did a tune up while they had my gun there. And it did not take long for the round trip. I broke the barrel lug on my 10mm. Shooting hot loads. They replaced the lug and barrel and slide.
    My 22's are colt/walthers and a chiappa though.

My last few new ruger purchases i had trouble with front sights loose and roll pins creeping out. Nothing that some loctite couldn't fix. My older rugers i have never had those issues.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    Jennifers and Mike0707 like this.
  7. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith

Sep 11, 2011
    Because it has sub par terminal ballistics. Now, the 9x25...that's a different story.

8. NIU2009

NIU2009 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2018
    That's something with the type of stainless they are using. Out of curiosity, does the magwell attract a magnet?

9. Joe.45

Joe.45 Member

May 3, 2016
    My full size Ruger Night Watchman is one of the last guns I would ever sell or trade.
    That right there should tell you everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1911 dawg and Mike0707 like this.
  10. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1 Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2011
    I own both Lightweight Commanders in 9MM and .45 and one of them is constantly on my hip every day. I wouldn't carry them unless they worked 100%, were acceptable in accuracy, and shootable.

Mike0707 and 1911 dawg like this.
  11. Grizz

Grizz Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2016
    I cant believe that Ruger did not take care of your issue!

I've had a variety of issues with different guns, some used some new, and they always took care of me for free, I didnt even pay for shipping. In one case they gave me the choice of refund, replacement or choice of ANY other firearm in their lineup. They are a VERY standup company and take care of their customers

To the OP - I have the lwt cmdr in 45acp. I enjoy shooting it but its picky with the ammo it likes and has feeding issues that I believe are related to the extractor.

12. 1911chrisa

1911chrisa Member

Aug 3, 2020
    My first 1911 was a SR1911 LW Commander in 45. It ate everything I fed it, and shot better than anything else I had at the time. It was something I almost felt guilty trading off, but for some reason it just didn't do it for me. 20201102_220505.jpg

13. TheLegoJoker

TheLegoJoker Member

Jul 14, 2020
    I had a basic stainless Ruger that I acquired in a trade. Even with the basic blacked out front and rear sights (much prefer a front dot of some sort) I shot it extremely well. Sold it off to help fund a Nighthawk, which I don’t regret at all, but I wouldn’t hesitate to add another Ruger to my safe I find a decent deal on one in the future.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted