1911 Firearm Addicts banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Ask me about faith...
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
That is a nice looking pistol. I've been on the verge of picking up an X9S for a year now. I even bought a blue gun of the X9S to get an idea of how it feels (and if there are any hot spots) Traditionally I haven't had good luck with small pistols as far as my accuracy and good firing grip goes.

The extended grip might push me over the edge. I assume this is a bit thinner in the grip than an X9? Has anyone noticed the traditional hot spot that causes the 1911 callous on the middle finger on an X9S? It looks pretty sharp under the right side of the mag release mechanism.
Well. They can do an extreme dehorn or even a melt job....

·
Registered
987 Posts
Is it an improvement over the old-fashioned EDC X9 that isn't "gripless"? Wondering if it's more than marketing/sales driven.
Don't know if it's an improvement from a performance perspective. I could see aluminum being less grippy than G10, but perhaps the X-Tac overcomes that. Other than that, and perhaps slightly different grip shape and feel, more of same overall.

From a manufacturing standpoint, it's one less outside vendor Wilson has to rely on for a part, and that's likely good for production.

I'm still trying to figure where the EDC X9 goes if the SFX9 line expands to longer barrel lengths...

·
ISO The Very Best 1911's
2,170 Posts
Don't know if it's an improvement from a performance perspective. I could see aluminum being less grippy than G10, but perhaps the X-Tac overcomes that. Other than that, and perhaps slightly different grip shape and feel, more of same overall.

From a manufacturing standpoint, it's one less outside vendor Wilson has to rely on for a part, and that's likely good for production.

I'm still trying to figure where the EDC X9 goes if the SFX9 line expands to longer barrel lengths...
The X9 is Wilson's hottest handgun. It won't go anywhere. I love the grip of my SFX9 and the flat grip gives me superior recoil control over the oval X9 shape,

·
Registered
987 Posts
The X9 is Wilson's hottest handgun. It won't go anywhere. I love the grip of my SFX9 and the flat grip gives me superior recoil control over the oval X9 shape,
So if Wilson does indeed go Professional and Commander lengths for SFX9 we'll have two separate lines that are identical save for G10 grips versus a one piece frame?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
As Bender say's----Meh.

Reactions: Dub

·
Registered
Ask me about faith...
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
It fits both. The 18 round mag in the last pic fits just fine . I used the univ-2 TLR plate to make the tlr 7a fit.. It's possible one of other 1913 rail plates will fit as well but not 1913-1 or Univ-1.

Using the TLR 7a light is one of the reason I switched my build to the SFX9 from the X9s...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I owned a X9S and was not impressed at all, I find thick guns harder to carry than heavy or long and I found the TS nearly impossible to reach and disengaged, to each their own I guess.

·
Registered
Ask me about faith...
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Completely understand... Of course I also prefer the g26 to EDC instead of all the single stack, staggered Glocks ( 43, 48 ,...) for performance reasons... Somehow this SFX9 seems to fit my hand just right.. now I'm reconsidering whether I need an EDC X9 at all...

·
Registered
201 Posts
I don’t see much difference if the 15 round grip is maintained vs Standard EDC x9? Is t the grip the hardest part to Conceal. Ideally would mine go see a 12 round standard with a 3.5 inch barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Ask me about faith...
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
There is just about no difference in length. They fit the same 15 round magazines. The SFX9 is maybe thinner or more accurately flatter side to side. I really like the contour and fit in my hand. Plus it's very accurate as easy to control. I want an EDC X9 but I'm having trouble justifying the purchase.. Im not sure there any real advantage.. At least for me...

·
Registered
Wilson Sentinel compact, Ed Brown Kc9, Nighthawk T4
292 Posts
View attachment 774741 View attachment 774743

This next pic is the X9s for comparison. This was nicely done by another member on the TOS. View attachment 774745

So thought I might bring this discussion
that started on TOS over here since I haven't seen anything on this yet here.

After seeing this threadonTOS, I called WC about my X9S( or now renamed SFX9) build and had them change it to the 15 rounder. So basically this is their Professional model of the SFX9. This saved me some money since/ I was able to cancel the 10 round magazines and pinky extensions. And I already have the 15 round mags which are the same ones as the EDC. Plus they said that they haven't even been able to take pre orders from vendors since customers are Already in line almost 200 deep at this point.
Another reason to consider changing your build is the last pic in the article showed a streamlight TLR-7a mounted under the barrel. This light was not an option for the X9S rail. So not sure when they made that change but I'm glad they did.
I had been chasing the small carry gun idea for a long time went through many models settled on Dan wesson ECO for a long time because it shot amazing for me and I could carry 9 round mags .
switched to a SA Hellcat to get the extra round and my shooting went downhill beyond 7 yards.
my sweetspot is a 3-1/2” or 4” 1911 .
tried a few edcx9 and they are just not for me I dont like or understand the fact they removed the grip safety .
that is what makes carrying condition 1 ok for me thumb and grip safety .
to each their own but that is my take . I think the EDCx9 looks great as does the sfx but I am sticking with the EDC9 single stack with traditional safety systems

21 - 40 of 49 Posts