Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

So why carry a 1911 when there are so many other choices?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by awmp, Mar 6, 2018.

1. awmp

awmp Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2012
    I have had the above question asked of me several times.

Your pistol is a very old design, it does not hold very many rounds, its heavy, its expensive, too hard to maintain and nobody else carries one. etc etc

Being an old design does not make it bad or outdated, but in the age when everyone has to get a new cell phone every time a new one comes out, well you get the idea.

I only need so many rounds, plus I hit what I aim at.

Yep it is heavy, I wear suspenders now under my shirt now and my back never even feels the weight, plus its comforting to have the weight there.

It is not cheap, neither is a good car or heck they way its going your cell phone is going to cost as much as my GI or Wilson. Plus can your cell phone repel attackers? Sorry I forgot you do have a flashlight on your cell phone.

Maintenance is an issue, you have to do it. Unlike plastic guns that don't need it. Wait I think I remember seeing a few plastic guns bite the dust as well, maintenance is still needed. (just not as much)

There are a few that carry 1911s. Those that do understand, those that don't will never understand.

So why do you carry a 1911?

If you don't, what do you carry and why?
  2. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2015
    A 1911 is as American as you can get. Though I like variety in my women. German, Czech, Austrian, Swiss, Italian. They are all good kissers.
    Cw1023, Hacker, cghelton and 14 others like this.

3. Longmire

Longmire Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2018
    For me, there simply is no other choice. Go with what you know and like! I like Big Trucks, Cars, Horses, Dogs and Big Irons on my hip! I love the flat/hefty design for carrying and when I pull, I KNOW it'll get the job DONE! (anything worth owning needs maintenance!)
  4. Justin_Pelletier

Justin_Pelletier Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 27, 2016

Love 1911’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    1L26, Mike A, blitz45 and 4 others like this.
  5. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 11, 2017
    Simplicity, ergonomics, choice of caliber, and the simple fact you can customize it to suit YOU!
  6. blitz45

blitz45 Cogito ergo armatus sum Supporting Addict

Nov 6, 2017
    I hear ya brother. My wife is Italian. :D
    Longmire, Babboonbobo, Mike A and 3 others like this.
  7. tgoldie00

tgoldie00 Active Member

Jan 9, 2018
    I carry a 1911 because I shoot it better than most other options. As a CCW piece, to me, that is literally all that matters. Will I hit what I am shooting at when I am in a fight for my literal life. Anything else I carry I do so for secondary reasons (can I conceal it better, is the trade-off on conceal-ability worth the potential reduction in capacity/accuracy. etc.).

The other options I use for carry depending on circumstance (Glock 43, Hk VP9SK) I practice more with so I can shoot at well as my DW Valkyrie 9mm. Notice I keep the caliber the same to keep everything on as even a keel as possible. I shoot .45 and 10mm often, but I don't carry them.
  8. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Active Member Supporting Addict

Mar 3, 2018
    Love to carry my slab sides!! Comfortable but sometimes I need more HP (have quite a few 10's) that what the old girl can provide then I go with some of my revolvers in 454.
    Longmire, Mike A, limbkiller and 2 others like this.
  9. Colt1911Guy

Colt1911Guy Lifetime NRA member Supporting Addict

Aug 27, 2017
    I don’t carry a 1911 as much. Mainly because right now I only have one and if I had to use it I wouldn’t want it to become part of an evidence locker.
    So I carry a Glock G30 as it is pretty much disposable.
  10. Mike A

Mike A America I'll stand by you. Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    In a world of plastic people, guns & cars. It's a nice feeling to have a steel warrior
    in your hands when the going gets tough. Why would I want anything else?

11. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . . Supporting Addict

Dec 4, 2014
  12. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . . Supporting Addict

Dec 4, 2014
  13. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
  14. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    I haven’t met too many guns that I don’t like but, after a fair bit of experimentation carrying and shooting over the years, the 1911 keeps landing at the top o’ the heap for me.

What has been pleasantly surprising to me is the number of folks I’ve let shoot one of my full-size 1911s for their very first time who have shot so very well with it. Kinda eye-opening!
    1L26, Longmire, Mike A and 4 others like this.
  15. sammm

sammm Active Member

Feb 26, 2018
    ^Love it Zoid!
    Longmire, Mike A, ZoidMeister and 2 others like this.
  16. Bro. Pappaw

Bro. Pappaw Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 18, 2016
    I shoot it better than anything else I've tried. The weight has never been an issue.
    july19, Longmire, Mike A and 3 others like this.
  17. WC145

WC145 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 1, 2013
    You need to rephrase your question - Why carry anything else when there is the 1911?

I don't care what is the newest or the latest and greatest. I care about what works and the 1911 and S&W revolvers work for me so those are what I carry and trust over any others.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  18. blitz45

blitz45 Cogito ergo armatus sum Supporting Addict

Nov 6, 2017
    Most importantly, because it's what I shoot the best. I can run a Glock well, but I'm considerably better with the 1911.

The rest is just preference. I prefer metal guns and the flat thin profile makes concealing a full size pistol easier.
  19. dstallguy

dstallguy Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 13, 2017
    I own / have owned many handgun makes & models. I thinned out the herd except for 1 Sig modified to my standards, an EDC X9 for lightweight 1911-style carry, and a glorious bunch of 5” 1911s because that’s what I like most.
  20. dstallguy

dstallguy Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 13, 2017
    Everyone who was a Sig, HK, Glock, M&P and CZ fan that I’ve let try my 1911s...has converted to owning / carrying 1911s (budget allowIng). Some of them are now members here too

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Draft saved Draft deleted