Soft shooting .45 1911 ?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by MFM22, Sep 17, 2020.

1. MFM22

MFM22 Member

Sep 15, 2020
    what if any 1911's if any , would have less recoil . Saw something that seemed to say that commander size may have less perceived recoil - this was due to the shorter slide cycle and less muzzle flip. This goes against what I had thought.
    -Thinking a full size would feel softer

Any company that has a "formula " figured out for weight ratio to springs. Etc ?

2. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Government length (5" barrel), steel frame, small radius firing pin stop, 16lb recoil spring, 23lb mainspring. Enjoy...

3. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 6, 2014
    The heavier the gun, the less felt recoil.

And getting used to recoil is nothing more than a training issue. Hold the gun properly and shoot it properly.

cgff, Roehl, Mifune326 and 6 others like this.
  4. MFM22

MFM22 Member

Sep 15, 2020
    What can be done to "soften " a commander size (4.25 barrel)

What is the relationship between main spring & recoil ?
    Thanks

5. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Small radius firing pin stop, 18lb recoil spring, 23lb mainspring, 185gr semi wadcutter at 750fps

6. Jim 1855

Jim 1855 Active Member

Mar 1, 2020
    I run light loads, works, I can keep shooting otherwise I couldn't.

But you have to reload and be willing to test a variety of load/recoil spring combinations.

Otherwise lighter bullets and heavier guns help. Aluminum framed guns are not your friend or at least not mine.

Jim

7. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    I have to say the STI in 45 I shot had the softest recoil I’d felt shooting 230 grain ball out of a factory gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. ~JM~

~JM~ Wrinkled Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Try a Star PD. :D

9. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    My favorite setup for .45 is a 18 lb recoil spring, 23 lb main, and a square firing pin stop in a full size TRP. Gun shoots flat and makes second shots quicker. With arthritis I limit my shooting .45 to 50 rounds a session. For extended shooting I switch to a full size RO 9mm. The sweetest shooting tool going.

Mifune326, Mike A and 41 Charlie like this.
  10. puddi_nugget

puddi_nugget Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2014
    You want a compensated 1911 like the Nighthawk Firehawk or use lighter bullets with less powder in an all steel government model, with as much weight you can throw on it. The 1911 shoots a smidge softer with a properly felt barrel as well.

I heard the Colt M45A1 dual recoil spring also softens up recoil a little but I have never shot one.

11. blamo

blamo Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2018
    Was just about to chime in to say my custom shop M45A1 is pretty dang soft shooting relative to other 45s I shoot.

cgff and Mifune326 like this.
  12. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Comp on a .45? Like a wing on a civic.

DWdude, 1911fanatic, Slapshot and 3 others like this.
  13. Jameeson

Jameeson Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2015
    If you want soft, I would consider a bull barrel, railed 1911. I notice they shoot softer / adsorb recoil more.
    If you then add a 10 rd mag and a tac-light, it is very soft...and fast shooting! It's good weight for recoil, but unfortunately will make the gun heavy.

This was my old gun I put on trade that I fired a box of ammo through. If you have the coin, was a wonderful shooter and very soft compared to a mil spec style 1911. Ended up selling because we have 2 CQB Tac LE's in the family already. This one was the safe queen. They are wonderful guns, many LEO's use these specific models.

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/used-wilson-combat-cqb-tactical-le.111409/

JM44, simonp and Dub like this.
  14. 2tone

2tone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2018
    My old man has a Star that I'm fairly certain is officer sized, and I'm 100% convinced that handgun is solely responsible for the arthritis in his wrist. Last time we took it to the range, my palm near the mainspring went completely numb.

In response to the OP: I own a Colt Combat Commander (all steel) and a DW Valkyrie CCO (aluminum frame) in .45. You'd think the all steel gun would soften the recoil better, but it actually pushes significantly more than the DW. The Valkyrie is as soft as some of my 9s.

The softest 9mms I've ever shot have been STI's with recoil masters in them. Those guns stay completely flat, and the front sight stays on the target throughout the entire recoil cycle.

In my experience, rather than focusing on weight, material, or size... it all comes down to how well tuned the gun is.

So this.

1911fanatic, FWoo45 and simonp like this.
  15. AGENT P

AGENT P 1911 'TIL DEATH DO US PART

Jun 24, 2019
    Monolith anyone?

JNW and Dub like this.
  16. Tom RKBA

Tom RKBA Member

Dec 29, 2019
    Nighthawk Firehawk or Predator

17. Wildcat Creeker

Wildcat Creeker Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2012
    I can tell you that a lightweight Commander with 230 Gr +P ammo does NOT fit in the soft shooting category.

18. Havoc35

Havoc35 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2020
    To answer this question, the mainspring acts in conjunction with the recoil spring as it puts tension on the hammer which in turn creates additional resistance for the slide after a shot is fired.

If you interested in learning the mechanical nature of the 1911 design, this is the bible

https://www.amazon.com/45-Automatic...d=1600428935&sprefix=jerry+kun,aps,163&sr=8-1

Mifune326 and DonTejano like this.
  19. Genes 1911

Genes 1911 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2019
    I have a NH Fire Hawk in 9mm.....very light recoil.Double tapping plates with tight groups is a joy.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted