Soft shooting .45 1911 ?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by MFM22, Sep 17, 2020.

1. jaydoc

jaydoc i'm riding a turtle!

Aug 10, 2012
    Totally agree with this. I don’t know if the recoil is actually less but it is less snappy. Similar to how a .45 ACP is less snappy than a .40

cgff and blamo like this.
  2. puddi_nugget

puddi_nugget Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2014
    Does the guide rod accept regular recoil springs in the M45A1? I would guess no - but might be something to try to compare how the dual recoil spring actually works.

If I could find the stinkin' things somewhere, I would totally buy the dual recoil spring to try it :D.

3. jaydoc

jaydoc i'm riding a turtle!

Aug 10, 2012
    ^^^^^
    Don’t know. Haven’t tried it.

4. MFM22

MFM22 Active Member

Sep 15, 2020
    appreciate all the responses , got a bit of an education !
    I've been buying some 9mm and wanted to keep .45 in the mix . I have 2 kimber full size .45
    but would consider adding 1 more of a better quality - that Wilson is tempting

5. soverystout

soverystout Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    That is due to the recoil master guide rod setup that STI used. It is a great setup. My full length railed 5.0 tactical SS in 9mm has the lightest recoil of any pistol I have ever shot. I don't shoot or own anything in 22LR but the STI is so light and easy it feels like 22LR even with +P SD rounds.

1911 crazed and simonp like this.
  6. NIU2009

NIU2009 Active Member

Nov 6, 2018
    If Staccato would put their new recoil setup in a single stack .45, then paired with the red spring, I would say that would be the ticket. I can't believe how little felt recoil there is with my Staccato P.

Also, to those that have said "heavier gun = less recoil", I don't believe that's accurate. Heavier gun can also = more mass traveling with the recoil which can mean more felt recoil depending on the gun design (especially in the slide). Newton's Third Law - action/reaction. It'll just be a different feeling recoil, but not less. The springs have far more to do with it than the weight of the gun.

simonp likes this.
  7. SCS1911

SCS1911 Failed all therapy

Oct 5, 2012
    This one is very soft shooting, but it is a Chambers long slide so.........

B0DFE860-BD9A-481E-BECD-BAED32792418.jpeg

8. SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ Member

Oct 17, 2019
    About 6 or 7 years ago I was at the range and I guy I knew through a buddy was shooting a Kimber .45. He let me shoot it and I couldn't believe how little recoil there was. Less than my DW CCO .45 or Guardian 9mm. I just don't remember the model.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

9. soverystout

soverystout Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    All STI single stacks in 10MM from before the Staccato days (heavy 10/Nitro 10/Tactical SS 10MM) had 25lb springs in the recoil master setup. Certainly helped with recoil but wrestling those recoil masters back in the gun without a dawson tool less guide rod is a bear.

Dub likes this.
  10. Au Jus in Bello

Au Jus in Bello Well-Known Member

May 19, 2017
    Here is a podcast featuring -- among other gun world notables -- our very own Joe Chambers. It's one of the best extended discussions of the 1911 (and more) you're likely to find and a heckuva an education...not to mention very entertaining.

There's an extended bit on what makes a soft shooting 1911. Among the many legit factors mentioned in this thread, the most important, really, is how properly and perfectly the 1911 in question has been built vis-a-viss the mating and interacting of moving parts under ignition, and the proper springing of the pistol to a given load.

Really worth the listen, despite the length...

cgff, Gary1911A1, Brennerman and 3 others like this.
  11. mbacker_99

mbacker_99 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Quality barrel fit = soft shooting

12. Mifune326

Mifune326 Member

Feb 15, 2020
    I was asking the same thing a few weeks back regarding muzzle flip. My man @Infidel4life11 turned me on to the below video and it has done wonders for my recoil control and muzzle flip issues. He recommended I work on my technique for shooting the pistol first before I tinkered with anything mechanically and he was correct:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  13. mauserfan

mauserfan Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2018
    M45A1. Colt's best engineers+CQC's demanding requirements=softest 45Acp out there. Just analyze how they're designed and it will become apparent.
    Darrel

Mifune326 likes this.
  14. mbacker_99

mbacker_99 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2017

At 2:25:00 you have the answer

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  15. mauserfan

mauserfan Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2018
    I agree with this and also need to add. It is the vibration that is magnified throughout the gun that is an important multiple in the recoil equation. Mitigate vibration and recoil will be less felt. I have worked on many Competition Semi Auto Shotguns and one of the tricks is to use a quality grease on bearing action parts to lube and reduce vibration and on the outside radius of the barrel tang to mitigate vibrations into the receiver. This is also why I only use grease on the bearing parts of semi auto handguns. To be specific-I use Lubriplate Wheel Bearing Grease.
    Just my humble .02......Darrel Wick

Mifune326 likes this.
  16. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 6, 2014
    I have Lubriplate that is used on my M1A. However Lubriplate is really thick and gets gummy. Are you recommending it be used on pistols?

17. NIU2009

NIU2009 Active Member

Nov 6, 2018
    I’d have no reservations using it on the rails and maybe the barrel, but I’d probably use something more viscous on, say, the disconnector.

Definitely do not apply nearly as much as the M1s like.

[email protected] likes this.
  18. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Well-Known Member

May 5, 2020
    My full sized Colt Combat Elite with its dual-recoil spring seems very shooting compared to other 1911s I have fired.

19. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    Flanged barreled 1911’s shoot soft.
    Plus they look cool as hell IMO.

dash likes this.
  20. Au Jus in Bello

Au Jus in Bello Well-Known Member

May 19, 2017
    Yes, the start of it. Just past about 2:40:00 they talk springing, and Joe discusses the mainspring's role recoil control.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted