Soft shooting .45 1911 ?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by MFM22, Sep 17, 2020.

1. puddi_nugget

puddi_nugget Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2014
    Anyone have any leads on where I can buy the Colt guide rod for the dual recoil spring found in the M45A1? I found the springs on Brownells but no guide rod.

if anyone wants to part with theirs for $..shoot me a DM.

2. Mark Littleton

Mark Littleton Active Member

Dec 22, 2015
    That was good. Jerry is one amazing dude...

Mifune326 likes this.

3. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 22, 2017
    I bought a RO 9mm Champion (LWC) months ago to see if I'd like it, given my age and to many years of competing with 45acp. I liked it from the 2nd round and I actually enjoy shooting the heck out of it.

I had little interest in getting another 45acp LWC. If my arthritis kicks up, it's using the ROC and I use it a lot.

Low recoil is easy with a Govt model in 45acp by using a lighter load. Personally I'm still more accurate with the same 45acp load I've used for 40+ years.

Gary1911A1 likes this.
  4. Roehl

Roehl Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2019
    My STI DVC Omni 45 is the lightest recoil shooting gun I have ever shot in 45. But with that said, recoil doesn’t bother me. If you shoot a lot, you just get use to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. chuck.panoff

chuck.panoff Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 8, 2017
  6. MFM22

MFM22 Active Member

Sep 15, 2020
    I'm lucky to find any ammo these days. If you don't reload you have to settle

7. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I was just reading where the new load is heavy bullet and fast powder. I don't know anything else about this but a small charge of fast burning powder might have a shorter pressure spike/impulse that could keep the slide velocity down a bit. I suspect this is being done in USPSA competition maybe?

8. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    If you look at the formula for recoil the weight of the powder charge is included, so given the same bullet at the same velocity faster powder gives less recoil. An itty bitty tiny decrease that is not perceived.
    Heavier bullets and higher velocity increase recoil no matter what. Simple physics. USPSA guys in Open shoot comped guns and that changes things a bit - similar recoil but greatly decreased muzzle flip.
    If you want the lightest recoil shoot a slow, light bullet in a heavy gun. Or just shoot a 9mm. My CZ TSO 9mm with a frame mount and SRO is wonderful to shoot.
    Nicest pistol I’ve ever shot was an STI Omni in 9mm. Incredible gun. $4300.
    Jeff

9. deadseed

deadseed Active Member

Apr 30, 2018
    the wife was having an issue with recoil on a compact.got her a SA V- 10 and it helped her.maybe get a V-12 or V-16 would be even less felt recoil.both kinda pricey.

10. daveog

daveog New Member

Aug 30, 2019
    preamble, much English ale and scotch whiskey.....

now for the response. Put your purse down and try again. 45 will have a kick. If you need something lighter for various reasons, I.e., health, than buy an STI in 9mm.

simonp likes this.
  11. Gimpster

Gimpster Kevin G Supporting Addict

Apr 6, 2017
    Full Length Guide Rod? Yes? No? asking for a friend:grin:

12. buckshot

buckshot Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Not much can defeat basic Physics. Google "geezer load" which is 185gr plated bullet and a modest charge of fast "clays" powder. Find someone to load a couple thousand for you. OR, 9mm full size with a rail is the bee's knees if you don't require your 1911 in .45.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

13. None.Ya

None.Ya Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Find a Colt RGZ.

Best 1911 Colt ever built.
    They come up for sale every now and then.

Barstool Aviator likes this.
  14. Nick Rice

Nick Rice Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2017
    I bought my first lightweight 45 a few months ago. 1969 Colt Commander and was a little shocked at the less felt recoil it had compared to my 5" Steel 45s

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

cgff likes this.
  15. OldCuz

OldCuz FREEDOM IS NOT FREE Supporting Addict

Mar 22, 2020
    Bull barrel long slide .45 :sneaky:

16. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Well-Known Member

May 5, 2020
    If you’re willing to look at a larger pistol and a pistol that is not a 1911, you should definitely check out the FNX—45.

It has such a long lockup-release cycle that it’s extremely soft shooting.

Throw a DPM Recoil Reduction RSA in there as well and you’ll have a .45 with barely more recoil than a 9mm.

Combined with 15+1 capacity, it makes for the perfect home defense handgun.

It’s entirely too gigantic for any kind of carry purpose though, unless it’s open carried in a thigh holster.

17. Au Jus in Bello

Au Jus in Bello Well-Known Member

May 19, 2017
    Interesting -- what do you think accounts for it?

Nick Rice likes this.
  18. Nick Rice

Nick Rice Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2017
    No idea maybe part due to using 185gr Only thing I changed was going to a flat spring set up. Also I guess in my mind I was just expecting more of a kick. It was pretty accurate too with no hiccups. Actually when I first got it went to the range and it had ejection problems, had my smith go through everything along with a trigger job. Perfecto now.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

cgff and Au Jus in Bello like this.
  19. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 6, 2014
    And shoot it a lot. Felt recoil disappears as training improves.

cgff likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted