1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I have a quick question....so i sold a firearm to someone and transferred it from my FFL to his FFL.... I was charged $30 for the transfer when I have a CCW. Do they even do a background check? Is that $30 for a background check?? and also it cost me $115 to ship the firearm.... why so much!
thank you for the input

·
North Central AZ Grasslands
3,366 Posts
My FFL charges the $30 transfer fee, actual shipping cost, and, if asked for, $2 per hundred for insurance.

·
Registered
294 Posts
That's a choice by your FFL...mine doesn't charge me a transfer fee, just the shipping/packaging. I'd find a new guy to deal with!

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Depends on your location and on your FFL.

Kali FFL's, some wont ship period, some ship but charge as much as $200 plus whatever insurance you want, some are more reasonable.........all depends

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
I might have this twisted, but if you owned the pistol and shipped it FFL to buyers FFL, you didn't fill out form 4473, as you already had previously upon purchase. The buyer filled out 4473 once it was received by his FFL
Your FFL charged you for 1- receiving your pistol into his records 2- handling and preparing to ship and 3- actual shipping fees and insurance. One could opt out of insurance but why?
Your having CCW permit has nothing to do with shipping charges or transfer fees. And if you live in a free state, you didn't fill out 4473 as I previously stated, so no background check would be initiated on you , the seller.

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
My FFl charges me what it cost him to ship FedEx with insurance. I shipped a ACW insured for 4k for less than $100

And a pistol I shipped recently was also insured and shipped FFL to FFL. I've never shipped uninsured and likely wouldn't

OP, develop a relationship with a LGS, do business there, bring in goodies occasionally and likely your costs will be reduced.

I work in a gunstore and its a PIA to accept a transfer to sell, prepare, then ship. It takes a bit of time, doesn't happen instantly and then to hear about the cost of shipping, well, it wears thin

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I pay my FFL $50 to ship a gun... That includes shipping.
And a pistol I shipped recently was also insured and shipped FFL to FFL. I've never shipped uninsured and likely wouldn't

OP, develop a relationship with a LGS, do business there, bring in goodies occasionally and likely your costs will be reduced.

I work in a gunstore and its a PIA to accept a transfer to sell, prepare, then ship. It takes a bit of time, doesn't happen instantly and then to hear about the cost of shipping, well, it wears thin
this is my gun store i go to all the time.... it cost me $155

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just out of curiosity, if you go there a lot and have a relationship, why not ask about the break down of the cost and why it was so much?

if it was an especially expensive item, insurance can get pricey quickly, but $155 is still a lot. The FFL i ship from is generally a flat $50 for a handgun.

·
Premium Member
7,766 Posts
Reactions: Series70

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just out of curiosity, if you go there a lot and have a relationship, why not ask about the break down of the cost and why it was so much?

if it was an especially expensive item, insurance can get pricey quickly, but $155 is still a lot. The FFL i ship from is generally a flat $50 for a handgun.
well they gave me the option to chose the shipping it was 2 day shipping...they charged a $10 packing fee lol and $30 transfer
Receipt Font Material property Transparency Event

1 - 20 of 89 Posts