Some advice please

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by AUSSIE1911, Jul 2, 2020.

1. AUSSIE1911

AUSSIE1911 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2019
    just wondering if someone could please give me a brief explanation of America's export rules on firearms and parts. I would really like to get myself a 1911 builder's kit. I have been looking into what I'm required to do to import it in to Australia and I have a licenced gun dealer that will help me with the process but he thinks it could be a very long and difficult process. Any advice would be helpful and thanks in advance.

2. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    It’s a shot in the dark but Nighthawk Custom is now offering builders kits and their parts are first rate. Since they import the Korth revolvers they may be familiar with the process. Good luck.

AUSSIE1911 likes this.

3. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    I won’t be much help but will share some limited knowledge. If I purchase what they call a 100% frame from a maker. It has a serial number and must go through the FFL process. If I buy what they call an 80% frame it has no serial number and can be sent from the maker straight to my door. Of course that makes my building task a little more complex as some tooling items are required to complete the 20%of frame work.
    This doesn’t answer your question but the difference of the two may very well determine what you may have to do.

AUSSIE1911 likes this.
  4. Adam13

Adam13 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2020
    I thought Australia didn’t allow firearm ownership? Didn’t they have mandatory gun buy backs a few years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tac45, AUSSIE1911 and nathanotis like this.
  5. AUSSIE1911

Oct 1, 2019
    Thank you. It might be worth sending them an email.

6. AUSSIE1911

Oct 1, 2019
    Colorado Sonny likes this.
  7. AUSSIE1911

Oct 1, 2019
    I'm going to say that weather the gun has a serial number or not would definitely make a difference to the process for Australia so thank you. You did have some useful information.

Colorado Sonny and TheCollector like this.
  8. AUSSIE1911

Oct 1, 2019
    Yes we are allowed to own firearms but we do have some fairly strict rules. The gun buy back your talking about was for semi auto shotguns and rifles. We are still allowed bolt action rifles and we also have bolt/lever action shotguns but magazine capacity is limited to fairly low numbers depending on the use. We still have a large community of hunting and sporting shooters in Australia

9. Rick McC.

Rick McC. Well-Known Member

May 3, 2013
    Well good on ‘ya; and I hope y'all get things sorted politically before it’s terminal for gun owners in Australia.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted