1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love watching these birds, and this video reveals a lot surprising things that I never knew about them.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
That was very cool! Thanks for posting. I’ve actually been sitting on the back porch this afternoon watching the hummingbirds at my feeders. They’re virtually impossible to count but best estimate would put the count of the ones that show up at my house every year at somewhere between 75 to 100 at their peak which was about a week ago. They’ve started to head south now and the numbers have been dropping since this past weekend. We had 11 feeders up this year and have gone through about 60 pounds of sugar since mid August.

·
Max Otto von Stierlitz
2,363 Posts
I put up a couple feeders every year. Fascinating to watch; I've been intrigued with them for years. Here in north Texas, they show up around the first of April and have departed by the first of October (including the few stragglers heading to Mexico). We mainly get the Ruby-throated hummingbirds nesting in our location. On their way to Central America, they can fly nonstop across the Gulf of Mexico!

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
There are still a few Ruby Throats in Northern Illinois but I have stopped filling my feeders, time for them to fly south. My first memory of Hummingbirds was arriving at Infantry Training School at Camp Pendleton and one of the trees was in bloom with large flowers. Probably 30 Hummers were flitting around, flower to flower. It was a pretty amazing site.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Hopefully this link will work. The video is from my back porch last September. I think that there were even more hummingbirds this year. The Christmas lights are up year round just because I like them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h8935d3nvx16s18/Video Sep 09, 6 39 29 PM.mov?dl=0
I used to haul sugar to a general mills plant. Every load I picked up came with a 5lb sample bag (5 loads a day). General mills took samples directly from the load, refusing bagged samples. Which I gave to all the older ladies in my neighborhood for an endless supply of hummingbird food. And cookies :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts