Some Amazing Facts About Hummingbirds ...

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by LYKUNO, Sep 22, 2020.

1. LYKUNO

LYKUNO Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2018
    Love watching these birds, and this video reveals a lot surprising things that I never knew about them.

2. Lou1

Lou1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2018
    That was very cool! Thanks for posting. I’ve actually been sitting on the back porch this afternoon watching the hummingbirds at my feeders. They’re virtually impossible to count but best estimate would put the count of the ones that show up at my house every year at somewhere between 75 to 100 at their peak which was about a week ago. They’ve started to head south now and the numbers have been dropping since this past weekend. We had 11 feeders up this year and have gone through about 60 pounds of sugar since mid August.

3. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    I put up a couple feeders every year. Fascinating to watch; I've been intrigued with them for years. Here in north Texas, they show up around the first of April and have departed by the first of October (including the few stragglers heading to Mexico). We mainly get the Ruby-throated hummingbirds nesting in our location. On their way to Central America, they can fly nonstop across the Gulf of Mexico!

OneEyedTanker, isialk and Lou1 like this.
  4. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    There are still a few Ruby Throats in Northern Illinois but I have stopped filling my feeders, time for them to fly south. My first memory of Hummingbirds was arriving at Infantry Training School at Camp Pendleton and one of the trees was in bloom with large flowers. Probably 30 Hummers were flitting around, flower to flower. It was a pretty amazing site.

5. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    This thread needs a pic.....
    Screenshot_20200923-065437_Gallery.jpg

6. Lou1

Lou1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2018
  7. xerts1191

xerts1191 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Truely one of god’s greatest creation, thanks for posting LYK

isialk and Lou1 like this.
  8. xerts1191

xerts1191 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Wish I could take credit for the pics, I cannot, thought I would share facebook_1590874174503_6672609913617132643.JPG IMG_0160.JPG IMG_0205.JPG IMG_0398.JPG IMG_0525.JPG IMG_1702.JPG IMG_9284.JPG

9. BigDeeeeeeee

BigDeeeeeeee Idaho 1911er

Aug 19, 2011
    I have a Calliope that claims the territory beside my driveway. Fun to watch.

[​IMG]

10. River runner

River runner Well-Known Member

May 4, 2020
    livinthelife, isialk and Lou1 like this.
  11. isialk

isialk Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 7, 2017
    Thanks for posting LYKUNO and also Lou1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou1 likes this.
  12. livinthelife

livinthelife Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    I used to haul sugar to a general mills plant. Every load I picked up came with a 5lb sample bag (5 loads a day). General mills took samples directly from the load, refusing bagged samples. Which I gave to all the older ladies in my neighborhood for an endless supply of hummingbird food. And cookies :)

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted