SOME Doctors pushing for gun control

Discussion in 'Open Mic' started by jaydoc, Nov 13, 2018.

1. jaydoc

jaydoc i'm riding a turtle!

Aug 10, 2012
    1. If you saw gunshot wounds everyday, your perspective on gun control might get skewed.
    2. Most of the gunshot wounds these doctors see are not inflicted by law abiding citizens and actually occur in places that already have strict gun laws.
    3. Being a physician, like being a celebrity, might give one a little more clout in the public arena but it doesn't mean your opinions are more valid or more valuable than other people's

2. deadguy

deadguy Jack Welch Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    “Do you have any idea how many bullets I pull out of corpses weekly? This isn’t just my lane,” tweeted a doctor named Judy Melinek (the tweet has now been "liked" more than 500,000 times). “It’s my f---ing highway.”

This lady is a pathologist, but has not worked in the SanFran ME's office in 5 years. She is an activist now.

I see dead people all the time. I see gun shots, cancers, heart attacks, hangings, drug overdoses, vehicular accidents, stabbings, burnings, drownings...you name it. I've seen it all. Guess what? I am not an expert on ANY of them, nor does my opinion on any of them mean anything. Does seeing these causes of death everyday make me wish I could do something about them? Sure it does. Does it mean I should impede on another person's rights to accomplish the end goal? Hell no.

Someone always wants to blame someone, or something, else for their woes. I would like for these concerned doctors to do a little research in how many deaths are caused by medical malpractice each year vs. how many guns are responsible for killing people on their own.

Fred_G, Stentor, Acroyer and 17 others like this.
  3. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    North Las Vegas doctors are trying to save a 3 year old boy this morning that may have suffered a self inflicted gun shot wound, police are still investigating.
    What medical malpractice has to do with doctor's opinions on guns is lost on me.

Mike Meints, UBOATDOC and isialk like this.
  4. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    My doctors assistant asked about guns 7 or 8 years ago, I gave her the stink eye and said nothing. The subject has not been raised since.

5. radshooter

radshooter Active Member

Dec 26, 2011
    One of the questions asked for pre screening at my doc office is "Are you safe at home?" I always say "Absolutely..I have more guns and ammo than any of my neighbors." After awhile they quit asking.

Grizz, ZoidMeister and Chris O like this.
  6. deadguy

deadguy Jack Welch Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Not sure if directed to me, but I'll clarify in case it was.

Basically saying these doctors should be more concerned with doing their job trying to save people's lives rather than soliciting money for a gun grab effort masked as a study on the causes of shootings.

Common sense tells me it's one of three things in all gun victim cases: negligence, murder, suicide. Two of those can be attributed to mental health issues (or pure evil), and THIS is where research should be done. Figure out what is causing people to snap and kill others. Problem is, a temporary moment of insanity in some cases can never be explained or remedied.

I've been following different physicians on this issue, and the end game is a slew of gun restrictions.

7. Gimpster

Gimpster Kevin G Supporting Addict

Apr 6, 2017
    I wonder how much the AMA has to do with this!

8. Antechinus

Antechinus Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2018
    Doctors bury their mistakes

9. The War Wagon

The War Wagon Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2018
    MOST of it. :finger:

I still plan on dying in the age of Der Kommissar ObamassarKare. I wanna see who resurrects me first; the Obamessiah, or the TRUE Messiah.

MY money's on the latter... :angel:

ZoidMeister likes this.
  10. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    They should "stay in their lane".
    Far more chances to get snuffed in car accidents, prescription drug overdose,medical malpractice.
    There's three that kill a LOT thru no fault of their own.

Antechinus and ZoidMeister like this.
  11. Usp45ct

Usp45ct Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2012
    How do these doctors feel about the amount of deaths per year associated with medical malpractice coupled with the over perscribing of opioids?

Physicians, heal thy profession first... then MYOFB.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  12. N of 1

N of 1 just one more

Nov 3, 2016
    I know many doctors who shoot regularly and own plenty of guns of all varieties. Some have the budget for training and toys most of us only dream about, classes with top trainers, NFA stuff, minimal pressure on how much they shoot in a setting etc. 100=200 round of the good stuff for a precision rifle course- they get over it pretty quick. Many say they would carry at work if allowed.

As always one side of the story often gets more press, and it could be because the pro-gun docs don't have the time or energy to wade in deeper. Administrators don't tend to like people who voice potentially controversial opinions. I wonder why the above mentioned pathologist is an activist? And pathology...I mean they don't even see patient,s just parts!

SCS1911 likes this.
  13. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    That's just mentality,some docs are like us(and some are us),and don't feel the need to fuel their ego.
    Others are small people that feel the need to tell us what to do so they feel like they're in charge.

14. C_Hallbert

C_Hallbert Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2017
    Doctors, Scientists and Engineers would do better to keep their attention on their professions rather than on politics. As it stands, physicians kill and injure far more people due to errors, malpractice and omissions than all the bloodshed and mayhem caused by intentional and accidental gunfire. I am suspicious that (just perhaps) physicians are in fact trying to keep the attention of the public on something other than themselves.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john_anch_ak likes this.
  15. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    I know one on this very site that's never had one leave his table alive....:cool:

deadguy and Ethanol Red like this.
  16. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    Not even close to deaths caused by:
    Heart disease
    Smoking
    Alcohol consumption
    Car accidents
    Diabetes

What are the MD’s solutions for those causes? Smoking alone is attributable to 443,000, according to the latest numbers provided by th CDC. Let’s ban ciggys and tobaccy growing and forget about the tax revenue - an interesting trade off.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    UBOATDOC and Kip like this.
  17. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    To be fair,those are mostly self inflicted.
    I smoke,stupidly still doing it.
    Supposedly a drink a day promotes health(?),cramming a months worth into a day....prolly not! ;)

john_anch_ak likes this.
  18. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    But,taxes off these said vices...ooh!

19. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    My last Dr. visit was a "wellness" check up.
    He asked if I ever feel depressed... I said that every time I start feeling depressed, I buy another 1911.
    There were people waiting for me when I got home!!!! :confused:

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted