Some Issues With Guide Rod Sleeve

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Batty, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Batty

Batty Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2019
    So, Ive been having some issues with my Kimber Aegis Elite Pro and am curious if anyone has had this issue before. Sorry for the long post.

Keep in mind I have a guide rod with the sleeve that goes over it. I don't have the guide rod that has the plug that captures the spring like you'd see on the 5" 1911s. Mine is like this one:

[​IMG]

I noticed that when I took down the gun, I had a lot of trouble getting the recoil spring and sleeve out of the gun, it was always jammed into the slide and I would have to take a mallet to the guide rod and hammer on the part sticking out the front of the gun slightly to get it to release from the slide. The sleeve itself was jammed halfway into the slide, so whenever I took the slide off, I could see half the sleeve while the rest of it was jammed into the front of the slide. I didn't think this was normal, but wasn't sure as I've never had a 1911 before and my husband's is a 5" with the plug that captures the spring, so totally different than mine. The sleeve would never go all the way into the front of the slide, either, but again, didn't know if this was normal or not, and the gun was working.

The other thing I noticed was when I put the gun back together after cleaning it, I had to SLAM the slide back onto the frame or there was no way I could get the slide stop to line up with the notch to put the slide stop back in. My husband could get the thing to slam back together but there was no way I could.

Fast forward to today. I cleaned my gun and could NOT get the slide on correctly, even slamming the thing together wasn't allowing the notches to line up. After watching like six Youtube videos, I realized that the guide rod sleeve is actually supposed to go completely into the front of the slide and not stick half way out. We had to sand down the lip around the sleeve in order for it to slip into the slide easily the way it was doing on the videos we watched. We also realized that when we were slamming the slide on, it would push the sleeve fully into the front of the slide where it should be, but that's why it was jammed in there when taking down the gun and why I needed to use the mallet to get the whole thing out.

Has anyone had issues like this? I noticed that now since we sanded the sleeve lip down and it fits properly in the slide, I can use my fingers to remove the slide stop, when before I had to lever it up and out with a tool, and it was stuck in there good.

Guide rod sleeve sticking half way out. This circled part would not go into the slide until we sanded the lip down. And the whole thing was jammed in there whenever I tried to strip the gun for cleaning.
    [​IMG]

Guide rod sleeve not sticking out anymore. I don't need to use a mallet to get the guide rod out anymore, either, because it doesn't get jammed in there.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    Old Sea Dragon and xerts1191 like this.
  2. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    A couple of my guns have a tight fitting spring plug, but none will jam half way. It is a stationary part that does not need to move once in place so hopefully you are all good now.

xerts1191 and Batty like this.

3. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    It may have had a burr obstructing the guide rod. Sounds like a little sanding freed things up. It’s been many years since I had anything other than the standard GI plug and guide rod, it’s hard to say. Hopefully it’s now resolved. On another note... I looked at one of the Agis Elite Pros (9mm) today at a local gun shop. I was very impressed! Kimber has always made some attractive 1911s, but this one really stands out! I did manage to keep my wallet in my hip pocket, but this is a great looking pistol. I can certainly understand your attraction! Hope she shoots as sweet as she looks.

xerts1191 and Batty like this.
  4. Batty

Batty Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2019
    She does shoot great, but I'm a little annoyed that I had this issue. I will shoot again tomorrow and see if anything changed. Hopefully resolved now and I can get on to just enjoying my range time and the zen of cleaning without any problems.

Old Sea Dragon and 41 Charlie like this.
  5. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    You shouldn't have a problem now that you took a few .0001's off the sleeve.

41 Charlie likes this.
  6. Batty

Batty Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2019
    I will say this has been a learning experience :)

7. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Is yours chambered in 9mm, also? I’ve owned 7 or 8 Kimber over the years, all ran flawlessly. Kimber’s tend to get a lot of bashing on most internet forums. I’ve never experienced any issues with the ones I’ve owned. Unfortunately, all of my Kimbers have been traded away. This Agis Pro (9mm) really looked nice! And a 4” 9mm has it’s own attraction.

Old Sea Dragon likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted