Some of my work...

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Crewchief, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Crewchief

Crewchief Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2017
  2. Crewchief

Sep 7, 2017
    IMG_2164.jpeg
    And springtime in KS.

DRYHUMOR, DRD, 1L26 and 22 others like this.

3. River runner

River runner Well-Known Member

May 4, 2020
    Wow, those are fantastic!

4. Greg M.

Greg M. Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 6, 2020
    Really yeah wow and those are all beautiful!!

5. Crewchief

Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks! When KidChief was born, I ended out buying a Canon EOS Rebel XT, and put in a good chunk of effort on learning to use it. Ended out spending more on glass than I did on the body. For years, I was humping a pretty good backpack any time we went to the zoo or on vacation: the body, usually 3 or 4 lenses, and a tripod. Plus a laptop if it was going to be longer than a day trip. Finally, it got to the point that I was spending more time on vacation taking pictures than I was actually living the moments I was trying to photograph, and it kind of stopped being fun.

Recently, I've been toying with the idea of going after a more modern body and getting back into it again. Bodies are dirt cheap these days, and the capabilities are light-years ahead of where my old Canon was (my max ISO equivalent on my Rebel XT was only 1200. These days, even the cheapest bodies can add at least another zero to the end of that number).

Most of my pictures involved either friends or family (or myself), and I'm usually a little leery of posting photos to social media. I may post a couple at some point, though.

CC

River runner and livinthelife like this.
  6. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    Nice pictures. I want to know who put the leash on the cat?

7. Crewchief

Sep 7, 2017
    That’s a juvenile at either the San Diego Zoo or the Wildlife Safari up in Salem, OR. Pretty sure it was San Diego, but won’t swear to it. Both of them would socialize their juveniles by putting leashes on them and letting them get fairly close to humans while the keepers or docents gave talks about them.

I was trying to keep the harness out of the shot, but I couldn’t quite get the angle.

Wildlife Safari used to let you pay $5 and go in with both handler and cheetah and get your picture taken. Beautiful cats, but I never did learn to trust them.

CC

Edited to add: Those aren't actually leashes - they're full on chest harnesses like what you can buy for your dog or cat to seatbelt them into your car.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    Fred_G and livinthelife like this.
  8. isialk

isialk Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 7, 2017
    Great pictures! Thanks Chief!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Crewchief

Sep 7, 2017
    In case anyone's wondering about this, the pic was taken at the top of exit 303 on I-70 in KS, just at the southeast corner of Ft. Riley. I was on the way back home from the range, and my weather radio was doing handsprings with severe thunderstorm and tornado warnings. I don't know if the cell pictured had actually produced a tornado warning at that point, but there was definitely strong rotation in the bottom of the cell, and this storm did produce a few tornadoes out over Konza Prairie not long after the pic was taken.

CC

jaydoc likes this.
  10. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    I have some zoo shots of an albino lion somewhere around here... Nice pictures! And I was offered a chance to go into the cage with a lion to take pictures. No thanks!

Crewchief likes this.
  11. jaydoc

jaydoc i'm riding a turtle!

Aug 10, 2012
    Near my neck of the woods!

Crewchief and Bender like this.
  12. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Ive been in that very same spot when we lived in Manhattan
    Miss the area.....one of our best assignments

Crewchief and jaydoc like this.
  13. Crewchief

Sep 7, 2017
    Well, since all y'all seem to be enjoying this, here are a few more:

IMG_1504.jpeg

This is our youngest boy: Fyvie (for those of you with networking experience, think Cat 5-e). He's a one cat protest march.

DSC01060.jpeg

Meerkat at the San Diego zoo.

DSC00877.jpeg

I don't remember what these critters were, but I felt a little bad for them having to walk in the middle of a pond that was having such an algal bloom. Interesting color contrast, though.

IMG_8967.jpeg

Leafy sea dragon at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. The focus was a little out, but he was so well lit that I kept the picture.

2011-10-14 08.42.45.jpeg

Fungus on an old tree stump in our back yard. We'd had to chop the tree down and we just sprinkled some of that natural stump remover stuff on it. Was a heck of a fungus.

IMG_0917.jpeg

Peahen at Brookfield Zoo. I don't think she was an actual albino, but the coloration was so far off of what peahens usually look like...

IMG_0631.jpeg

More Chitchen Itza. I believe these were supposed to be alligators, but I don't remember. If anyone wants to see an album of the Chitchen Itza pics, let me know and I'll try to throw something together.

CC

DRYHUMOR, zChambers, 1L26 and 2 others like this.
  14. livinthelife

livinthelife Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    "If anyone wants to see an album of the Chitchen Itza pics, let me know and I'll try to throw something together."

If this means more pictures, yes please.

15. Eddie H

Eddie H Member

Oct 28, 2020
    C137CC3E-24A7-4580-A1BC-A7D0A02F500C.jpeg 56CACD1D-743B-4D1D-B225-2BC6F5AE8226.jpeg Not good as yours but roses are pretty this year.

DRYHUMOR, livinthelife and Crewchief like this.
  16. Crewchief

Sep 7, 2017
  17. Crewchief

Sep 7, 2017
    A few more:

As I noted above, I'm a little leery of posting pictures of identifiable people on social media. Myself very much included: I have a policy of getting explicit permission from the subject before posting anything that is remotely identifiable. However, I've come up with a couple of more pictures. One is my cousin in law and his newborn boy. The next is my daughter at about 2 weeks being held by my wife, and the last is my niece out at Ashland, OR.

PA090035.jpeg

IMG_2657.jpeg

IMG_6887.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    livinthelife and DRYHUMOR like this.
  18. Crewchief

Sep 7, 2017
    And another of the niece:

IMG_7757.jpeg

19. Rainyknight

Rainyknight Member

Jun 27, 2020
    Wow, you have a wonderful eye. I'm happy if my pictures are clear enough just to make out what it is i'm trying to photograph. I am both impressed and a little jealous by your talent. Thanks for sharing these.

Crewchief likes this.
  20. Eddie H

Eddie H Member

Oct 28, 2020
    Beautiful

Crewchief likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted