1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you have friends, accomplices, co-workers that just don't get why in the H*** someone would pay X amount of dollars on a high quality 1911?

I Have co-workers and friends that ride me pretty good for the amount of money my Baer cost....(which is kind of humurous considering I have a Wilson and a custom Colt en route that were both basically double the cost of the Baer) neither of which numbers I've shared with them.

I don't usually even attempt to try and convince them of the reasons behind the cost or of the workmanship involved as it usually falls on deaf ears.

Sometimes I have to question myself and ask, "am I as crazy as they put on, to spend the amount of money I do on a gun?!"

....then I go shoot my Baer, patiently awaiting my other two works of art, and think, maybe....just maybe. :roflmaro:

Ah well, I just tell myself I'm getting them before I have a significant other to answer to for my irresponsible spending!

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
I have tried to stop telling people what I spend on guns. If it is worth it to me then good enough. I just picked up my first Baer but the Wesson wasn't cheap either and my recent rifle kick was basically without a limiting budget. I figure that I'm at a point in my life where as long as the mortgage is paid and the dog is fed, why not? Like you I do not yet have a bride wondering how guns multiply in the safe and am just learning what I really like in a pistol so there are more to come. It's a hobby and those cost money but that's why we work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,783 Posts
Excellent responses! I agree with them very much. I have people in my life that understand the cost for the quality but just won't take the leap to purchase. They like to look at mine but have never asked to shoot them but understand! They are all gun people but they're doing the quantity not quality thing?

I to think life is too short not to enjoy it. If you are housed and fed and all the important people and dependents (human or otherwise) are well taken care of and you have the means. Then screw it, enjoy and buy what you like! I've bought 2 Baers (45&9mm PM2) and a 9mm Knighthawk since November!

I'm so stoked and haven't even shot any of them yet. I'm now working on plans for a Wilson, Brown as I have fondled them. Once those are acquired then a Guncrafter and if everything continues to go well I'll move on to full custom. I want the major semi's first.

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
For me its quality over quantity. I no longer own any semi-customs, and but a few custom 1911s. Been thru the variety stage of 1911s, then one day I realized I was not, nor did I want to be a" collector". I know what I like and thats how they're set up. I would never share the value of any of my firearms. Seems almost like gloating. I do love a finely tuned 1911 however. Nor would I ever chastise anyone for spending their money however they wish, or revealing the value of a firearm to someone.

·
1911 'TIL DEATH DO US PART
24,339 Posts
I buy what I want and I want what I buy
That said I want that gun to have a purpose I don't just buy it to say hey look what I got.
However I seem to find more and more purposes as time goes by...
Nightstand
Car
Truck (don't want to move it from one to the other)
Carry
BBQs
Fish fries
Range
Etc etc etc
I think you get the idea.

·
Known Agitator
3,185 Posts
Many of these folks will raise hell about gas prices going up .25, while they drive their SUV to the liquor store to buy a bottle of single malt Scotch or Crown Reserve...

Own the guns you want and can get. You know none of us make it out of life alive.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
My SA 9mm, is the first complete rebuild that went through Joe C's shop when he opened. I sold off and traded off to be able to afford that.

When I saw it and shot it, I realized that I'd been missing something. When a range operator watched me shoot it one day, he made the comment, "that sure is a smooth shooting pistol". At that point, you just smile and say "yeah, I know".

·
Registered
9,072 Posts
I have tried to stop telling people what I spend on guns. If it is worth it to me then good enough. I just picked up my first Baer but the Wesson wasn't cheap either and my recent rifle kick was basically without a limiting budget. I figure that I'm at a point in my life where as long as the mortgage is paid and the dog is fed, why not? Like you I do not yet have a bride wondering how guns multiply in the safe and am just learning what I really like in a pistol so there are more to come. It's a hobby and those cost money but that's why we work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
my philosophy has changed a bit. since the government(especially Obama-doesn't care) has ruined any chance I have of retiring EVER, I decided,that I might as well enjoy what I earn NOW

I have not bought much of any value or cost over the past 35 years. I am not a material kind of guy. So why not get the 1911 s or any guns that make me smile when I use them?

I consider buying nice guns a reward for YEARS of sacrifice and taking care of business(family first all this time)

I do not brag about my toys nor do I flaunt them--they are for personal enjoyment not to make others feel bad
JMHO

·
Registered
9,072 Posts
Many of these folks will raise hell about gas prices going up .25, while they drive their SUV to the liquor store to buy a bottle of single malt Scotch or Crown Reserve...

Own the guns you want and can get. You know none of us make it out of life alive.
+ you never s ee a U-Haul behind a hearse=enjoy life nOW

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Most of my friends have no idea what I have because I don't show them. The few friends I shoot with see/use them and have asked about the man or shop that worked on them. I tell them and it ends there. They don't ask how much, nor would I tell them. I don't share what I have with any coworkers either. They just know I enjoy shooting and firearms.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I have asked myself that question. At one time, I did not intend to pay more for a 1911 than I paid for my Sig TacOps 1911.

Bought one big name semi-custom and did not see enough improvement to make it worthwhile to me. Sold it to someone else who did find it a good value. Ditto for a second big name semi-custom brand.

Guncrafter was another world. Perhaps it is having been a gunsmith (eons ago) and having been pretty decent at machining (again, eons ago) that gave me such an appreciation for the craftsmanship in the GI. And the CCO, to me, has such a wonderful balance and feel. A pleasure just to hold. A work of art with the ability (in the hands of a good shot, e.g. someone other than me) to drive tacks. I have full confidence that the GI's will be passed down from generation to generation for a many decades.

Why buy them at all? Well, as has been mentioned above everyone has their vices. I really have not spent money in other areas where men commonly sink dollars. I have scrimped on myself for decades. Tried hard to save up. And I look at guns as an investment. The guns will be passed down from generation to generation. And some generation may need guns and not be able to buy them. If that day arrives, maybe they will give a fleeting fond thought to the old man who ensured they could defend themselves.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts