Some thoughts about Carry Concealed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by paid4c4, Feb 13, 2012.

1. paid4c4

paid4c4 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 26, 2011
    First I'm not a lawyer and am not offering legal advice just the thoughts of an old guy in passing.

Unfortunately when you carry a concealed weapon it's possible that sooner or later you may have to use your weapon to save a life. It's also unfortunate that once you've used your weapon there is going to be legal ramifications. Depending on the circumstances there could be criminal legal expenses and secondly their could be a civil suit. The point I'm getting to is do a little preparation before hand. Some Home Owners Insurance will cover you should you become involved in an action growing from concealed carry. It is usually a rider and is fairly inexpensive, mine is fifty dollars a year. Second item you might want to consider is an umbrella liability policy. I carry a 1M umbrella which is $157 per year and covers civil suit losses for any reason including having to use your weapon. This might all sound like over kill however almost every citizen shooting involves some type of court action either criminal or civil. Regardless of the outcome I'd rather carry and be able to save myself or others than to allow fear of court action to prevent me from being prepared. Just an after thought; In the event of a shooting training and marksmanship is going to be a very important part of the court action and defense.
    Bill

2. Twisted

Twisted Member

Feb 13, 2012
    kansas has a statute in our personal/family protection act that prevent any type of civil/liability lawsuit against a person protecting a life legally.

3. paid4c4

Sep 26, 2011
    We have limited immunity as part of Kentucky's Castle Law. We're working on improving the civil/liability portion.
    Bill

4. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    Doesn't the NRA offer a policy similar to what you describe above ????

5. Twisted

Twisted Member

Feb 13, 2012
  6. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I'll look into this, thanks!
    The NRA P&C insurance is $254 for a quarter million in coverage, if the one Bill refers to is comparing apples to apples, the NRA isn't a very good deal.

7. paid4c4

Sep 26, 2011
    Keep in mine my coverage is part of an overall insurance package covering our houses, cars and life which lowers the cost considerably. It does provide a starting point for comparison. It's just good to discuss, plan and take action a head of time.
    Bill

8. wichaka

wichaka Member

Sep 8, 2011
    I would submit that folks contact an attorney who is versed in use of force issues in the area(s) one carries. For the cost of a case of ammo or so, sit down with them and have a discussion of the laws etc. Best money you'll ever spend, prepping for a day that we all hope never comes.

...and keep their biz card handy in case.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted