Something new!

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by handforged, Jun 8, 2020.

1. handforged

handforged Limestone Canyon Leather and Tool Supporting Addict Sponsor

May 19, 2020
    IN my never ending quest to get my daily carry whittled down to the essentials, I keep going back to the idea of a EDC belt knife and magazine carrier combo. Being the bladesmith but also a retired saddle maker, I put in the hours to get something that I would like to carry. This is what I came up with. Hope you guys like it too.

First off this one is made in Cordovan horsehide with black shark skin trim to match a Milt sparks holster. Hand stitched and molded by me. The sheath carries one of my every day fighters in w-2 tool steel with Walrus ivory handles and 0.020" green g-10 liners. 3.5" blade length on this one. it's about the perfect size for personal defense and maybe to cut up that steak. Magazine is canted forward with bullets forward as God and Jeff Cooper intended. This is a relatively compact setup and comfortable to wear in the 9 o'clock position. Should wear like iron for daily wear and tear.

I do still see a small area for improvement with it although they are just small aesthetic details that will make me happy. Here are some pictures for you guys. This prototype will be available. I will be posting professional pictures later when it stops raining... rather, if it stops raining.

fighter sheath.jpg fighter sheath1.jpg fighter sheath2.jpg

2. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    You used WHAT to trim that thing ???? :grumpy:
    Can you use my latest catch instead. ????

4344D381-BAEE-4D52-B30F-07BC593EE268.jpeg
    You know what they say about karma. :bored:

3. das_dude

das_dude “Careful man, there’s a beverage here!” — The Dude Supporting Addict

Nov 2, 2015
    Man that's sweet, great work!

4. TJC357

TJC357 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 18, 2011
    That looks like a great set up, I don't think I've ever seen a combo like that nice clean work.

5. handforged

May 19, 2020
    Thanks guys! I work hard at it. I am putting together several of these for customers now. I will keep posting pictures of them as we go along. The first batch will be Ladder pattern damascus steel that I made this weekend. One of them will have Elephant ivory scales for a member here. It should be exceptionally nice! A couple in burl wood scales and you never know, there might be a damascus version for sale? Who knows... Stay tuned!

6. handforged

May 19, 2020
    You send the tanned hide, I won't ask any questions.

7. Mike0707

Mike0707 JMB fan

Apr 11, 2019
  8. handforged

May 19, 2020
    fighter4.jpg This is one of the damascus (ladder pattern damascus) versions in the works now for a member here. This one will have elephant Ivory scales and silver pins and lanyard loop. Crappy cell pic with dirty hands but hey, I'm a blacksmith!

9. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
  10. TJC357

TJC357 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 18, 2011
    That pattern came out great.

11. handforged

May 19, 2020
    I tried to make it a little tighter pattern for the smaller knives. This is 416 layer.

BigSkyGuy likes this.
  12. Greg M.

Greg M. Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 6, 2020
    Man that looks awesome.

BigSkyGuy likes this.
  13. handforged

May 19, 2020
    as promised, here are some professional shots of the combo. These are headed out to their new owner! WalrusIvory_3Y5A0119[4107].jpg WalrusIvory_3Y5A0132[4109].jpg WalrusIvory_3Y5A0133[4106].jpg WalrusIvory_3Y5A0139[4108].jpg

14. handforged

May 19, 2020
    I wanted to illustrate the seam in the center that creates a natural slot for a belt loop. This also allows the combo to curve around the belt. I found out this was just about critical to comfort in the long run.

15. handforged

May 19, 2020
    Having a couple of really bad days and Since my materials are being delivered at the speed of smell, I am working on an extra damascus "master kit" this weekend. One of my wave pattern damascus everyday fighters with bocote scales. In the combo sheath with a mag carrier but I'm stepping it up a notch with a matching pair of bocote 1911 grips. STAY TUNED,

16. handforged

May 19, 2020
    Here is a master set that I finished this morning. Wave pattern damascus everyday fighter with Bocote scales. Brass pins and brass lanyard loop. My combo sheath in saddle tan with black shark skin trim. With this set I made a set of bocote 1911 grips with the same piece of wood for a matched set. I call it The Master Set! HA... master set3.jpg master set4.jpg master set.jpg master set1.jpg master set2.jpg

17. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Really great work sir!

handforged likes this.
  18. handforged

May 19, 2020
    Thanks! I really like this setup. Maybe one day soon I'll get to make one for myself...HA!

19. Eddie D

Eddie D Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2020
    I have a deep appreciation for handmade leather products and yours Sir are very impressive. Since you are retired saddle maker, do you do oak leaf and acorn tooling?

20. handforged

May 19, 2020
    I can and have done it but it's tough on my hands. I do a little from time to time but I try not to make a habit of it anymore.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted