1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So you all know I've been tinkering on a project gun for some time now. A few weeks ago, I dropped the gun and some other parts off at a local gunsmith to be refinished - the gun to be matte blued and the parts parkerized. Today I got them back and the parts I wanted parkerized were blued, the ones I wanted blued were parkerized, none of the pins were refinished, and a trigger and some pins are missing. Oh, and it was definitely represented to me that the gun would be refinished in a legit bluing tank. It wasn't, it was very obviously done with a birchwood casey perma blue kit...

He tells me for future projects, I ought to come to him, "a qualified gunsmith," first :LOL:

So if anyone knows of any folks who can blue and park, hit me up! lol

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
If you need some help I have a few bottles of Birchwood Casey Cold Blue around I could do you up real good! I shouldn't kid, that sucks.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I did most of the work on this thing (just obviously not the finish) so for the sake of my ego just imagine if it weren't F'd up and everything 😂

You'll have to excuse the poor lighting and I took these just now:

Start off with the easy, the grip safety is parked (decently too! which is such a shame considering everything else):

Those streaks aren't oil, I just KNOW those are the cotton swabs from the kit:

The magazine catch lock isn't finished. Neither are the pins but they're under the ambi:

Parked slide stop and unfinished grip screw, or rather a grip screw that wouldn't take on birchwood casey perma blue:

It gets better once we look inside:

Something beyond just the odor tells me this is perma blue dripped onto the gun:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll put it this way as a compromise since I'm not really one to call people out explicitly: I'm in northern indiana and there's only one shop within an hour drive of me I know of that offers in-house parkerizing.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I'm still learning what I like and don't like in my 1911. I'm often looking for the details others discuss when critiquing a build. But even my lamo untrained eye can see the issues with this finish.

I would be so f%^&*#@ irate. You worked at this to your liking only to have some dink screw up the finish like this, ...damn! 🤬.

I feel for ya.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Hey at least it's just the finish! It can be fixed and it's nothing permanent.
True, but I bet if you would have done the diy kit it would've come out wat better. Not to mention the parts would have the finish that you wanted where you wanted it. Just saying when you take someone's money for a service, one should be able to do what was agreed upon.

I'm glad your attitude is better than mine 😉
Have a great day 🇺🇸👍

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Wow....so crappy, that...yeah, ya gotta laugh (otherwise crying over the lost $$ would lead to anger).

I'd say strip it, blast it, and park it yourself. It's not hard. I did a Springer....came out pretty good...did it on my own time and my own dime, so if I screwed it up, i'd only have myself to blame.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Hey at least it's just the finish! It can be fixed and it's nothing permanent.
That's a fact! But man, that is some grade-A shoddy work they did on that pistol. I don't understand the mental gymnastics one would have to perform to convince themselves that level of quality was OK to present to a paying customer.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no yeah it blows, I just dont have the bandwidth right now to argue with them and claw back a benjamin - I just have too much on my plate. It’s just an expensive lesson and I’ll call around today for people who can blue and park :/

·
The Tinker
4,289 Posts
I bead blasted this slide and cold blued it in my garage. And it looks a heck of a lot better than the work done by that 'professional' gunsmith. :rolleyes:

It's not perfect, but it will do for my purposes. Someone above said they did their own parkerizing. I'd hit them up for the recipe. (y)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts