1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My love for building on Colt base guns knows no bounds. While the current production Series 70 Government Models are likely the best base guns Colt has every produced, many of the ‘70’s era guns can present challenges and at times a seemingly limitless amount of hurdles for a custom builder. I’ve always found that when the gun is complete and staring back at you any extra efforts were always worth it, sort of the reward for sticking through the gun.

Then there is the earlier generation of Colts, the “Commercials”, and among those older Colts are some real gems. The kind of gun that makes me smile at just the hint or prospect of building it. For me this is one of those guns... a ’68 Colt Commercial “Slant Groove”, also known as an “AMU Colt Commercial”.

These particular Colts are kind of an anomaly and there are different stories of how they came to be, no matter the reason they are likely one of the more rare Colt Government Models. Their significance is the factory features/characteristics and how they differ from other Commercial Colts of the era. These guns are traditional round top slides but have the slanted “NM” style cocking serrations. Many folks often confused these Government Models with Gold Cups due to the angled cocking serrations, while others don’t notice at all. This subtle feature set that has always made them a bit cooler in my book. I’ve been fortunate to build other examples of these “AMU” Commercials” over the years with every one of them being a special gun, this one is no different. Enjoy the pictures!

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,043 Posts
4fd16a17ce669114c27b3fcabbe9393ccb74c978dedf0d3259cff985722f1897.jpg

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Beautiful Colt, as always, but being who I am, I've just gotta ask . . . . .

What's the skinny on that pen . . . . !

Case color hardened Paper-mate . . . ? Sweet knife too.

upload_2018-3-16_15-27-28.png

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
That is a beautiful 1911....

·
Previously RS.
1,214 Posts
Said it on instagram and I’ll say it here. You’re killing me with these AMU slides!!! Wait till the legacy comes out. I might actually faint. Every time you post one I’m on GB for an hour looking for one.

True perfection @Jason Burton - you build the stuff dreams are made of.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,604 Posts
That is outstanding! Love your work, Jason.

·
Cogito ergo armatus sum
1,934 Posts
Perfection.

·
No way Jose
465 Posts
Stunning work as always, Jason!

I've been thinking about switching up my WW1 Retro for a late 60's Commercial too, mostly for the roll marks. How's the front strap thickness? The one's I've seen are usually on the thin side and I want to go 20lpi...

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks so much gents!

What's the skinny on that pen . . . .
The pen is made by Tuff Writer pens... that one is flamed titanium.

Stunning work as always, Jason!

I've been thinking about switching up my WW1 Retro for a late 60's Commercial too, mostly for the roll marks. How's the front strap thickness? The one's I've seen are usually on the thin side and I want to go 20lpi...
As I recall this one was thick enough. It all depends on the specific gun and how flat the front strap is, I’ve seen them in all shapes and sizes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts