1911 Firearm Addicts banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I don’t have $3k into my three Glocks and never ever would do more than sights and a new connector. But I don’t have a problem with a $4k 1911, or turning a $1k Colt into a $4k gun.

Polymer just doesn’t have that robust feel of steel I’d be proud to pass on

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
Admittedly, I have not tried the sti guns since the change of their name. The mags were a problem and also the fact that they make a gun and it's amazing, then...boom....not in production anymore.

The x9...that is a whole different animal. The gun I have hated most in my life is the beretta. The x9 is just a fancy beretta to me. Same as a fancy glock...its a $700 pistol that's been reincarnated. Jmo

My 1911's come first to me. If there is to be a runner up for me it will always be plastic that runs.

·
Beretta Fanatic
1,146 Posts
I have a John Wick Glock 34 Combat Master. Yes, with the cost of the modification and the gun, it was around $2400. I wanted it because I wanted it. I did not expect to get the performance out of it that Taran claims online... But, I still wanted it....

I have previously posted a review here before. It really is awesome. I was damn impressed. The 5th Gen Glock marksman barrels seem to be more accurate. Combined with the trigger work and the other work Taran Tactical does - it is amazingly accurate. I have owned 3 high end 1911s in the past (and twelve 1911s total). I shoot this gun as well as those guns. And, with my neck and shoulder issues, I like the lighter weight of the Glock.

I had planned to get a Brown 9mm 1911 one day - I have previously owned 2 Ed Browns and loved them. Now, I decided not to bother. In fact, I sent a Glock 19 to Taran Tactical 1 month after getting this JW Glock. Now, have another 14+ month wait, but they do awesome work.

Kinda like you won't "get it," until you own a high end 1911, you won't get a high end Glock until you try one. And, there are so many flavors (different companies) - so, it can depend on who ya go with.

·
Beretta Fanatic
1,146 Posts
NEVER spend Staccato money on a Glock
I have small hands. My G34 Taran Tactical Combat Master fits my hands because of their grip reductions. I'd get a Stucatto, but the grip is larger than a Glock grip.

I can't even tell you how many guns I have bought over the years, and then sold them later because the grip was too large....

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had a few Glocks over the years, and never really enjoyed shooting them. The most expensive one was a pre-1994 so I could legally suppress it (yeah, yeah, my state sucks after 2013).

Different strokes for different folks!

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
I spent just over $1000 on my Langdon Tactical G45 and feel that it was worth every penny. As for $2000? I don’t really think a Glock is worth that, however…… I had some money burning a hole in my pocket and decided I wanted to try a G34 Combat Master, so I got the Glock, sent it in, and I’m waiting until possibly March of next year. It was a calculated risk because, I
if it’s as nice as other owners claim, it’ll be worth it and if it’s not my thing they are pretty easy to sell off for more than you paid for them. I don’t see where I lose here.
But, aside from that, about $1k is my limit on a Glock. I’m considering a Shadow Systems since I learned you can put a Glock mag catch in them. Just not 100% sure yet.

·
NRA Life Member
1,221 Posts
Got more than that in the Boresight Glocks Ben has built me.
Got more than that in the Business End Custom Glock Lou built me.
I go 1,500+ rounds between cleaning and/or putting any lube on them.
Bash all you want, but I’d spend that money and more for them if I had it to do all over again.
Boresights grip and stippling is amazing! Probably gonna be selling the G17…really don’t need it.
Gun barrel Gun accessory Air gun Wood Fashion accessory

Trigger Wood Air gun Machine gun Gun barrel

Got more than that in the Boresight Glocks Ben has built me.
Got more than that in the Business End Custom Glock Lou built me.
I go 1,500+ rounds between cleaning and/or putting any lube on them.
Bash all you want, but I’d spend that money and more for them if I had it to do all over again.

Revolver Rectangle Air gun Trigger Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my son an expensive Glock for his 21st birthday in March. I'm not a Glock fan, just don't care for them. I tried to talk him out of it but it's the gun he wanted. Gold coated barrel, slide cuts, RMR, Timney trigger, custom stippling. I wouldn't want to be seen with it but for whatever reason it was the gun he wanted and I was dumb enough to buy it. It is a decent shooting gun, for a Glock at least. I just gave him my Staccato C2 after I bought an Atlas Nyx so he's seeing the light now😂. I will say his Glock is an interesting looking gun and I told him he'd better keep it hidden or it will definitely be stolen. I still can't believe I paid what I did for a Glock though.
Man, you’re a great dad. Wish mine had bought me my C2. (Any interest in adopting a 52 year old man?)

·
Premium Member
30,330 Posts
Hey guys....so I have been seeing alot of Glocks for sale for $1700-$2200 why.....just why.....
please explain the rhyme or reason when there are so many amazing better platform....yes I am NOT A HUGE FAN.....AND I should be I get blue label pricing...
please make it make sense...they are good $400-$600 pistols but 2k.....
When I 1st got into 1911s, I couldn’t imagine spending $3-4k on ANY 1911. That really doesn’t even phase me much anymore. A $2k “Glock” is going to have some work done. At that price point, you are paying for the work and the parts. Same deal with a custom 1911

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have OZ9's and Shadow Systems in addition to the Glock. Both the OZ9 and the Shadow Systems guns address 90% of my complaints with a Glock.

(note both of these are under $2K guns, but I could easily see a guy spending $2K+ to get exactly what he wanted in a Glock platform. You can get a ton of improvement for that first $1500 over a factory Glock)

1) The OZ9 grip angle is straight and at the 1911 angle. Shadow Systems' small grip insert does the same. Now the gun indexes right for me (instead of coming up front sight high).
2) Both have improved triggers. Well at least the OZ9 as the Shadow Systems is pretty much like a gen5 Glock trigger. Makes it a little easier to get the accuracy out the the platform. Note for us 1911 guys you have to run the Glock trigger more like you would run a revolver trigger. Just pull through and don't stage the break.
3) Both retain what I consider one of the greatest features of the Glock, insanely flat recoil. In my experience there is no other factory non-comped gun that recoils as flat out of the box as a Glock.
4) Grip stippling, magwell, and RDS machining/inserts are all included up front.
5) The OZ9's P320 like frame allows you to change grip modules which is pretty cool. I made a compact into a G19x setup with a $59 grip module.

Now that Glock is off patent, expect more Shadow Systems like clones and innovation. We are still in the early days of Glock evolution now that the patent is off.

I still can't work a Glock trigger as fast as a 1911 but that is a training issue.

A tricked out Glock in the right hands is flat out a shooting machine. Hell a factory Glock in the right hands is a shooting machine.

·
Registered
79 Posts
With all that said I would not recommend the OZ9 for self defense. Mine only runs right with Glock Mags, chokes occasionally on PMags. Interestingly they ship with Pmags. So far the Shadow Systems guns have eaten everything I've thrown at them.

·
Premium Member
30,330 Posts
I’ve had Glocks choke with pMags, they are crap

They ship with MagPul because they are less than half the cost. Seriously, don’t blame the gun, blame the mag, they are crap

·
Registered
282 Posts
Air gun Machine gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

Here it is new. Couple years later and 7k rds through it looks different. Awesome gun tho. Expensive, but premiere for striker fired poly gun. This outshoots any production 1911 out there.

for those curious, this is the Agency Arms Sage Dynamics V2 on a 19X platform. Just took a Sage Dynamics class with Aaron Cowen using this gun. Awesome stuff.

Why anyone would pay 1k for a colt or low end Springfield is beyond me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Maybe 5 years ago I took a Vickers/Leatham Advanced Pistol class here in Phoenix. Bunch of squared away LE and competitive types in the class, mostly 1911 guys. I was strictly middle of the road with this bunch of students.

Best shooter in the class was a cop from a smaller force in the Chicago area. He had a box stock gen3 G35. He won most every drill whether accuracy or speed was emphasized.

No mods to the gun. Just a lot of trigger time and not screwing around with multiple platforms.

For folks dismissing the Glock platform, think again.

·
Premium Member
30,330 Posts
Fair enough. I haven't run enough SD ammo through the OZ9 to feel confident since making the switch to Glock mags. Mostly because I've been distracted by my Stacattos.

Zev is hurting themselves by shipping with those mags.
I’ve tried Stacotto a few times. Can’t get over the lack of quality at STI

You’re right, Zev is making a mistake shipping with those mags. I use them for range only .

·
Premium Member
30,330 Posts
Maybe 5 years ago I took a Vickers/Leatham Advanced Pistol class here in Phoenix. Bunch of squared away LE and competitive types in the class, mostly 1911 guys. I was strictly middle of the road with this bunch of students.

Best shooter in the class was a cop from a smaller force in the Chicago area. He had a box stock gen3 G35. He won most every drill whether accuracy or speed was emphasized.

No mods to the gun. Just a lot of trigger time and not screwing around with multiple platforms.

For folks dismissing the Glock platform, think again.
I agree

61 - 80 of 84 Posts