1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on a recent spiffin spree on a couple of my guns. These two Kimber's have gone through a number of upgrades. They have been "enhanced" with flat triggers from CCP, SI magwells from Stan Chen, and new WC grips courtesy of a member who liberated them.

I think they wear the upgrades well . . . . . . .

Gun Product Firearm White Trigger

Product Metal Composite material Material property Everyday carry

Gun Firearm White Trigger Line

·
The Tinker
4,255 Posts
Nice looking pistolas Sir! Now that I have the 2011 where I want it, it's time to focus on my Kimber and get it finished.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Your Kimber's look fantastic. Didn't know you was a Kimber man...me too, I have a few.
Did you install the magwells? Blending required? Fit and finish looks awesome.
Fellow on another forum had ordered a magwell from Kimber for his Pro size (I forget model) pistol, anyway he installed it and it looked awful in his pics. He was going to send it back.
I've never added a magwell, don't really have a need for it. I thought I had more but a count revealed I only own three 1911's that have magwells, one is on a Kimber Gold Combat LE came with it and one on a WC CQB Compact 9mm both look great. I knew I had one Kimber with a magwell that I bought used, got to looking at it and it's coming off poor fit.
If I ever need to buy any magwells I'm buying the SI from Stan. His look great, perform a function without being gaudy.

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Your Kimber's look fantastic. Didn't know you was a Kimber man...me too, I have a few.
Did you install the magwells? Blending required? Fit and finish looks awesome.
Fellow on another forum had ordered a magwell from Kimber for his Pro size (I forget model) pistol, anyway he installed it and it looked awful in his pics. He was going to send it back.
I've never added a magwell, don't really have a need for it. I thought I had more but a count revealed I only own three 1911's that have magwells, one is on a Kimber Gold Combat LE came with it and one on a WC CQB Compact 9mm both look great. I knew I had one Kimber with a magwell that I bought used, got to looking at it and it's coming off poor fit.
If I ever need to buy any magwells I'm buying the SI from Stan. His look great, perform a function without being gaudy.
Yes, I "installed" the magwells myself (dropped them right in). I didn't do any blending, as that level of refinement really isn't that important to me. The only blending that might be "required" is if the funnel transition from the magwell to the frame wasn't "smooth enough" or "seamless enough" for your individual OCD. To me, the transition "as-is" does not inhibit function, and it isn't unpleasing to the eye, so I left them "as-is."

Wood Hardwood Wood stain Plywood Plastic

Wood Hardwood Wood stain Table Plywood

At this point, I have six 1911's (I think) that I have transitioned from Smith & Alexander arched mainspring/magwells to the Stan Chen SI Installed magwells. I used to prefer the S&A Arched UNTIL I bought and felt the Stan Chen.

HOLY CRAP
! All I can say is that Stan ruined my reputation as an "arched mainspring" guy. Ergonomically, these SI magwells with their ever so gentle round butts (@TheCollector , that is your cue) made me rethink and start changing out all of my arched magwells.

As far as being a Kimber "fan" - well, not really. I like a few of the designs they have produced over the years, like the Ageis series, but I have yet to pull the trigger on one in .45 ACP. These two came across my radar by being produced in one of the "oddball" calibers.

The Pro Carry HD II (commander) is chambered in .38 Superb. The full size Eclipse Custom II is chambered in 10mm.

How could I pass on either of these, regardless of manufacturer?

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Of course I have been tweaking with the triggers as well and have both of these breaking at or below #3.5 lbs, minimal take-up, respectable over travel. I need to get a bit of creep out of the 10mm, which is a result of the hammer hooks being a tad too proud.

Once I get the hammer hooks tweaked to my liking on both of these, I think I can reduce the over travel a bit. With hooks too proud of the hammer, you need a bit extra over travel to get the sear to clear them on recoil / reset.

Z

Reactions: KS95B40

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good God almighty, using Wilson Combat grips on a Kimber :meh:

That like using Grey Poupon on SPAM :rolleyes:
I know, I know. I was expecting the SACRILEGE posts out of the gate.

I thought about changing out the medallions to Colts, or using one of my $2.5 Gold Quarter Eagles in these grips, but I kind of like how they look now . . . . .

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I know, I know. I was expecting the SACRILEGE posts out of the gate.

I thought about changing out the medallions to Colts, or using one of my $2.5 Gold Quarter Eagles in these grips, but I kind of like how they look now . . . . .
Yes why degrade the Kimber! :)

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Did you have to modify your grips with for Chen SI magwell or you ordered magwell grips? Curious because I've been considering adding one to my Vigil and I've already ordered the wrong VZ's for it once LOL! Looks great Zoid!

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,412 Posts
I think they look awesome!
Good call!
I also am a big fan of Chen SI magwell.

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Did you have to modify your grips with for Chen SI magwell or you ordered magwell grips? Curious because I've been considering adding one to my Vigil and I've already ordered the wrong VZ's for it once LOL! Looks great Zoid!
No grips modifications needed. Just slapped them on. They are standard magwell cut grips.

No "fitting" required by the magwells. Just pushed them in.

The triggers on the other hand, needed a bit of massaging. Nothing too terrible, normal fitting and tuning.

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Us arched mainspring housing types have noted your defection from the ranks. Don’t wait for the invite to the pig roast this year. :devil:
I know, right?

I'll prolly just bring along one of these beauties and corrupt y'all.

Then the world will be littered with more unwanted arched mainspring housings.

Anyone interested in a couple of S&A arched magwells? I've got a couple available . . . .

Z

Reactions: FWoo45
1 - 20 of 28 Posts