1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with thier AR15s? Good? Bad? How about customer service?

·
Premium Member
27,972 Posts
Spikes is not one of my favorite manufacturers,.....goes back questionable
practices during the Obama gun scare a few years back.

Overall, good products, pricing and CS.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I'm choosing between the and a S&W M&P

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes complete rifle. I'm also researching Brazillan rifle laws. That's where I'm trying to go so I need to make sure everything is compliant.

·
Makes **** Move
252 Posts
Spikes makes quality product. The billet receivers are manufactured by Seekins in WA state and the lack of availability speaks for their market acceptance. I'm also a huge fan of the Tungsten filled T2 buffer from Spikes. Soft shooting and no weight rattle that other standard buffers tend to have. Overall they have definitely stepped up their game the past few years and dedicated resources to a 3 gun team and truly quality and functional product.

No real experience with the CS but they were very responsive and fast to ship on my last order.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What advantage does a Billet lower have? Is it a forged vs cast thing?

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So it's a weight savings issue then.

·
Premium Member
27,972 Posts
So it's a weight savings issue then.
No,.........I've built billet rifled and forged. Little to no weight difference.
My main AR is a Quentin Defense biller upper/billet lower, chambered in 6.8 SPC
It's a hard hitting and accurate hunted out to 300m

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Then what is the advantage?

·
I hate this addiction
570 Posts
Yeah pretty much. I think there are other things but that is pretty much it. Someone else might chime in with more info.

·
Premium Member
27,972 Posts
The overall deminsions of billet parts are much better controlled.
My upper/lower locks up like a bank vault. Manufacturers are able to
tweak designs a bit, IE,....trigger guards, flared mag wells, ambi mag releases.

·
I hate this addiction
570 Posts
The overall deminsions of billet parts are much better controlled.
My upper/lower locks up like a bank vault. Manufacturers are able to
tweak designs a bit, IE,....trigger guards, flared mag wells, ambi mag releases.
This is the advantage to billet, but a forged lower will serve you well also. It is your preference really.

Greg I could of sworn the Mega billet lower was lighter than the Spikes lower when I compared them. I could be wrong but it sure felt like it was lighter.

·
Makes **** Move
252 Posts
The weight savings is very minimal between styles of receivers. The stock, barrel and forearm rail or handguard are going to contribute more to weight savings and maneuverability. The billet receivers are cut from block aluminum and allow companies to give the rifles some different lines compared to the forged receivers.

Faawrenchbndr makes a good point that it allows for some new design features such as mag wells and trigger guards. I'm not terribly familiar with the ambi mag release integrated into the lower receiver. I have used the Norgon ambi mag release with good results although it is pricey. POF and Seekins/Spikes do offer ambi bolt releases which allows sending the bolt home without releasing the grip on the rifle.

·
BIG OL' BALD HAID !
3,291 Posts
I have been considering one of their .22 uppers for some time but more and more reports of issues have kept me away.

I am going to sit back and do a little more research before any dollars get spent.

DAT85

·
Premium Member
27,972 Posts
I have been considering one of their .22 uppers for some time but more
and more reports of issues have kept me away.
I have a Spikes ST-22 upper. It's been nearly 100% reliable, it had close to 5k rounds fired

1 - 20 of 51 Posts