1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to my Fish and Game Club today. The Boy Scout Troop we sponsor and make a building available to had a big cookout for us. I took my Blackhawk 357 with me just for some range fun. 5 of the rounds from the box of ammo i took with me had ALOT more recoil, and more muzzle flash. As i was removing them i noticed the split cases. Heres a pic of 2 of them. Some of my friends that were there asked me if they were hot home loads.. but no, they were right out of the factory box. Anybody know what could have caused the brass to split on some of them ?

·
Dremel jockey
4,766 Posts
Factory new ammo?
I'd be looking at the cylinder bore dimensions.
And I'd avoid shooting any more of them.
Escaping gas can cause damage to the shooter.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes..factory new ammo, and i have had this gun for a few yrs. Hundreds of rounds thru it. never any issues like this.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
For practice ammo, you might consider 38spl. When I was shooting early SASS, I used an old 3 screw Blackhawk built for me. We all shot 38spl.

·
Professional Pest, NRA Patron member
2,962 Posts
I have Federal 38 Super that does the same all too often.
As we all know, it shouldn't be doing that unless the chambers are over sized.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I have Federal 38 Super that does the same all too often.
As we all know, it shouldn't be doing that unless the chambers are over sized.
If it hasn't happened with other makes, have to stop and wonder, although it might not hurt to have them checked. Chambers can be sleeved if they're really bad.

Frankly Federal brass makes me wonder, some of their rifle brass have soft heads.

·
Professional Pest, NRA Patron member
2,962 Posts
Only with the plated Federal brass in my LB, ACW & Chambers 38 Supers. I seriously doubt they all have the same chamber issue. I'm going with a bad lot of brass used by Federal. I used to have great results with Federal but that was long ago.
Most of my 44 Mag and 45acp brass is Federal as is a fair amount of my 9mm.

Reactions: Lisa93

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Only with the plated Federal brass in my LB, ACW & Chambers 38 Supers. I seriously doubt they all have the same chamber issue. I'm going with a bad lot of brass used by Federal. I used to have great results with Federal but that was long ago.
Most of my 44 Mag and 45acp brass is Federal as is a fair amount of my 9mm.
OK for the past 10 years nothing but complaints about soft case heads in certain calibers from Federal. Specific to me is 308, if I find a Federal case, it just goes in the recycling bucket. Lots of speculation why, no one knows for sure.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Had to look that up... Will read rhe whole thing tomorrow, (it's past my bedtime...lol) but the crack in the pic looks the same.
Brittle usually means overworked cases. It's common in 9mm when someone realizes a bulged case and than fires it in an unsupported chamber like a Glock. Starline also warns about M&Ps for both normal and their +P cases. In 7.62x51, most common when reloading cases fired in an M-60 machinegun. Chambers in the M-60 are abnormal for reliability in nasty conditions. I have some great examples of case head seperations.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK for the past 10 years nothing but complaints about soft case heads in certain calibers from Federal. Specific to me is 308, if I find a Federal case, it just goes in the recycling bucket. Lots of speculation why, no one knows for sure.
Thanks.. i have never had problems with Federal ammo. I guess this wasnt really a problem either. Just a few that didnt want to come out of the cylinder easy.

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
Interesting convo, seen a few just like that in my BILs 357 ruger. I refused to shoot it more.

Just glad no one was hurt.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Interesting convo, seen a few just like that in my BILs 357 ruger. I refused to shoot it more.

Just glad no one was hurt.
Im pretty sure it was the ammo..not the gun. Like i said, i have had this gun for yrs..hundreds of rnds thru her and never had this issue. Plus it was random cylinders,. If all 5 came out of the same one i might be concerned. The split ones did have some xtra punch ..do u think Federal could have just loaded them too hot. ?

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
Could be I suppose. I recall a couple ka-boom threads a few years ago. IIRC, prolly not (-: , getting ammo mfgs to admit wrong doing was nearly impossible. Not saying it can't be done. Especially since no firearm or shooter damage was experienced, perhaps a few boxes of ammo??
At any rate, just glad no injuries occured

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Could be I suppose. I recall a couple ka-boom threads a few years ago. IIRC, prolly not (-: , getting ammo mfgs to admit wrong doing was nearly impossible. Not saying it can't be done. Especially since no firearm or shooter damage was experienced, perhaps a few boxes of ammo??
At any rate, just glad no injuries occured
Thx... Im not gonna call them or looking to get anything from them. Just never had something like that happen with factory ammo before and thought maybe otherd had. And would find it interesting. Now if i get some 45lc from my brother that he loads...anything goes..lol

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
I have had serious issues with Federal rimfire ammo since the panic. The lots that I have purchased have the worst performance I've seen, with rounds missing their priming compound and others without powder charges, causing squibs and in one case a 38gr. HP bounced off the face of my chrono 8 feet away and didn't leave a mark.

I can't produce facts or exact numbers, but I feel quality isn't what it was pre-pandemic. Of course, if your box was made prior I don't know what to say. I used to be very fond of Federal handgun brass, but I am leery of all manufacturers over the last 18 months.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts