Spooky morning,coyotes singing.

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by c.helm, Feb 13, 2012.

1. c.helm

c.helm Active Member

Sep 7, 2011
    I'm up and getting the property pretty much everyday at 4:30--4:45 I was out with the dogs this morning and the Coyotes!
    The 'yotes were howling on both sides of me, out behind the barn and over on the far side of the house. I had a 45 with me but.... I had to yell at my dogs to stay near me rather than go investigate the woods...

I may need to start going out with the AR and 1911....

I never saw the coyotes even with my surefire lighting up the trees.

it was a bit unnerving this is the first time in 15 years I've had them this close to the house. :eek:

2. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    If yer dogs don't know to stay close when the coyotes are active it may be the dog version of "Darwin"!:grin:

Bob

3. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Their numbers are steadily increasing here in SW Florida also. Lots of land down here and nowhere to hunt unless you know someone and have landowner permission. I can see this getting out of control; if it hasn't already.

4. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    We have them as well and they got my young cats. I keep the 9mm AR at the ready now.. Ron

5. killaguhrilla

killaguhrilla recent convert

Dec 19, 2011
    I took a potshot at a coyote last weekend with my .357. He was out of accurate range, but I didn't have the Winchester carbine handy. One nice thing about being on the Colorado prairie is you can see them a good way off.

6. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    I was watching my kids sled down a hill on a nearby golf course... A yote came out of the woods as the kids got to the bottom of the hill.
    At first I thought it was a neighbors dog... I couldn't believe it came as close as it did... I got down there quick...
    Looked like the yote was trying to get the kids to follow it into the woods.....CREEPY....

7. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Keep small kids in sight and your pets away from them but a coyote is the last thing I'm worried about in the woods. They will not bother you as they are very wary of humans. Small kids have been attacked though. I bow hunt and walk in the dark in yote infested woods 75-80 times a season and have for years. I worry more about a twisted ankle or falling from a tree while climbing into or out of a tree stand than yotes. Believe me the woods in KY are full of them. I love hearing them and kill several each year.

8. paid4c4

paid4c4 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 26, 2011
    Chris, the coyotes are getting more common and brazen in NKY. We have a farm in Boone County and always had ferrel cats which lived around the barn. The only way to keep a cat is put it up at dark as cats are tops on a coyotes menu. We think coyotes killed a small donkey on a farm not far from ours last month. I always carry a .45 and now keep a rifle in the truck when I go to the back part of the farm. Now I hear there has been a wild hog sighting in an adjoining county, just what we needed.
    Bill

9. Gabe Asher

Gabe Asher New Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Yotes are more scavengers than predators, but they will take advantage of an opportunity when they find one.

10. JoeJ

JoeJ Member

Nov 27, 2011
    The coyote definitely prefers fresh meat to rotting meat, so I’d call him more of a predator than a scavenger. They try their best to keep down the populations of mice and rabbits and do a good job at that.

I know they need to be kept in check if you want good deer hunting in your area, as they will kill a good portion of the fawns in their area. They will take a full size deer on occasion, but it will take more than one or two to get that job done.

In urban areas they will take cats and small dogs but a good sized dog will more than hold its own against a single yote and some will kill a yote with no problem at all, such as an airedale. They will keep rats in check, so that is a tradeoff for the cats, unless the cat is yours.

It’s a lot of fun calling yotes and this spring I’ll take my 13 yoa granddaughter with me and we’ll shoot a few with handguns. A good electronic call will bring in all sorts of critters and having a youngster along just adds to the experience when everything under the sun might come your way to see what all the commotion is all about.

Unless a yote is rabid, an adult human has nothing to worry about – I wouldn’t trust anything in the wild around an infant.

11. Gabe Asher

Gabe Asher New Member

Feb 13, 2012
    My earlier reply was more towards the posters that might be confusing the tenacity of Yotes with that of Wolves. Yea technically a coyote is considered a predator but its no more of a predatory hunter than the average field cats (which hunt 24/7 and meticulous at stalking small prey of their own size).

The Yotes @ central oh are more prone to preying on some overturned trash cans, fresh road kill, or my sacrifitial hunting/trapping "scraps" :biggrin1: rather than little kids and dogs.

Heck my 15 pound jack Russel will chase after them...but he's grown up with a 110lb BlueTic and a 90lb Black Lab so he thinks he's no different (nobody has broke the news to him yet-lol) If I figure out I'll post a pic of an average size 30lb yote I got a few months ago. I think my biggest ever (@ here) was about 50lbs.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted