Spots in bluing

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by TexShooter, Jan 4, 2012.

1. TexShooter

TexShooter Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I noticed the other day that the blue finish on my Baer has what looks like water spots. They weren't there when I got the gun. I tried using solvent and oil to get them out to no avail. Any ideas what it's from and how to get rid of them?

Thanks guys.

2. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011

3. TexShooter

TexShooter Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Its hard to photograph. Heres one of them.
    [​IMG]

4. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    Just talked to Jim...who used to do all the bluing for Baer, and he says there's really nothing you can do other than re-bluing it. Sorry we couldn't be of more help. Hate to see that happen.
    It takes place because Les is too cheap to use distilled water in his bluing process and he uses tap water. Tap water has minerals in it. Minerals leave spots. If you soak it in enough Break Free, that will hide the spots temporarily.

5. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tex just go shoot the crap out of it. The spots will give it "character".

6. TexShooter

TexShooter Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I don't really care about them that much. Just wanted to see what caused them, to see if I could keep it from happening again. If its from the bluing process itself then that's a whole different story. All the CLP that was on the gun when I got it probably hid it well.

The bluing is definitely thin and it's already wearing down near the muzzle from a few presentations out of a MS VMII. I don't mind the wear actually. After it gets really bad I may send it in for some DLC.

7. Greg Derr

Greg Derr Custom Pistolsmith Supporting Addict

Oct 3, 2011
    Some solvents can damage bluing, for example Naval Jelly or what is in it kills bluing. What type of cleaners are you using?

8. TexShooter

TexShooter Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Hoppes and Breakfree CLP

9. curdog

curdog New Member

Nov 23, 2011
    how old is this pistol ?

10. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    That's exactly what we used on them at Baer. Pretty sure your water marks were there when new. Call up Les and say you have water spots in the bluing on your slide and you want to send in your slide for a re-blue. He should re-blue it for you at no charge. Make sure you tell him you use Hoppe's and Break Free only.

11. EOL

EOL New Member

Dec 20, 2011
    If you noticed the spots now wouldn't you have noticed it when it was new? How old is the pistol?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted