Spotting Scope Advice

Discussion in 'AR Forum' started by JNW, May 13, 2020.

1. pcar157

pcar157 Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Hey Jeff, help me out here. What is the difference of a spotting scope compared to a LPVO?

EDIT: went on YouTube and answered my own question!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  2. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    I have the little 25X 60mm and a friend has a 27X 82mm.
    I don't know why we don't see all the stuff I read about on the internet.
    Good luck.

3. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
  4. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
  5. handforged

handforged Limestone Canyon Leather and Tool Supporting Addict

May 19, 2020
    Kowa for the money is hard to beat. Top tier glass and the adjustments are fine enough to detune to see bullet path and heat waves at range. Hard to go wrong with one. I have 3... The best scope that I have used is the Swarovski STS80 HD. You can see knats copulating at a grand with it.... It's not that far out of your price range but WOW.

6. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    This is a link to Rokslide a hunting forum with a robust section on optics

7. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Thanks for the responses.
    Scaramouche - appreciate the link. LOTS of information. Its a bit like going to AR15.com to find out a little about rifles.
    handforged - the Swar is awesome. I've looked through a bunch of their glass. But, $3,000 is a bit more than I want to spend.
    As I cogitate on this I am leaning heavily towards the Kowa.
    Jeff

8. handforged

May 19, 2020
    that SW I mentioned is on sale right now for 1800....

9. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Where might this be? You can PM me if you like.
    Jeff

10. handforged

May 19, 2020
  11. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2015
    I went with this cute little guy.

https://www.swfa.com/vortex-11-33x50-razor-hd-spotting-scope-3.html?___SID=U

i have access to a rifle range to 300 yards and at 33x it works well with my .223 and 6.5 Grendel rounds. I also use for the 50 and 100 yard rimfire range for little 22 holes. It is also small enough for backpacking or hunting if that’s your thing. Add a decent tripod and you are right about your price range.

I have used bigger and better spotters with friends, but for casual short to medium range this one works well. But if you have the budget you never get hurt by buying better optics.

12. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Cardiac,
    I'm tempted by your set up. There's a special where you can get a Vortex tripod for free with any Razor or Viper spotting scope. For $700 I can get either the Razor you have or the Viper 15-45x 65mm. The 11-33 Razor at 25oz seems like a great scope that I would use a lot. If I ever shoot long range I would just pony up for a big boy scope.
    Jeff

13. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    The vortex tripod kinda sucks IMO. Why put good glass on a crappy base? I'm pretty happy with my Manfrotto.

14. ~JM~

~JM~ Wrinkled Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Following.

The only advice I can offer is don't compare optics under good lighting. Try them in twilight & near dark conditions.

gaijin likes this.
  15. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    FW,
    Which Manfrotto? They cost from $100 to $2500.
    Jeff

16. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Finally ordered a scope. I went with the Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50. I got it from B&H Photo for $659 with the free tripod. This scope will do everything I need for now - max distance at my range is 100 yards. Its nice and light at 25oz so I will use it a lot. Yes, a Swarovski would be nice but it would be overkill for what I need. I also shoot pistols indoor in winter and this will work well for that. I'll give a review when I get it next week.
    Jeff

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted