spotting scope for long range shooting

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by PWS, Mar 16, 2019.

1. PWS

PWS Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 20, 2016
    Looking for a good used spotting scope for long range shooting....going to get back in the game at 300-500 yards, then hopefully push further....anybody have some used glass they no longer need/use??

2. BigSkyGuy

BigSkyGuy Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2018
    What are you looking to spend...?

I've got a beautiful Leica spotter that I might let go of.

3. DSTallguy

DSTallguy Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 13, 2017
    Price???

4. BigSkyGuy

Dec 25, 2018
    It's a straight body 20-60x77 with the cordura "keep on" case/cover. These cases are next to impossible to find!

Scope body MIGHT have a few rubs on it, nothing egregious at all. Glass is perfect! Not the HD glass, but still phenomenal!

The scope is at my other place, but I'll be down there next week if you want some pictures of it.

I was thinking $1250 shipped...
    20190316_190603.jpg

Busa Dave and FWoo45 like this.
  5. PWS

Mar 20, 2016
    Do you have the eyepiece??....the Leica site only lists a 65 and 82.....wonder how difficult it’s going to be to find a 77 eyepiece....let me do some searching tomorrow morning....thanks!

6. BigSkyGuy

Dec 25, 2018
    Yessir, it has a 20-60 power eyepiece.

7. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Just a fyi for the OP. I have one of these I use for hunting and 1k bench rest shooting. That is a good price and the case is indeed impossible to find now. They are awesome and even today better than almost ever other product out there. Looked through the new models and they are not that much better for looking for holes in targets at 1k. For hunting you could count the ticks on at animal st 500 yards lol.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    BigSkyGuy likes this.
  8. PWS

Mar 20, 2016
    Looks like I don't need to search far then.....sounds like this might be just what I need.....thanks, Dave

BigSkyGuy likes this.
  9. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    You have a scope that will pick out bullet holes at 1000 yards?

10. Busa Dave

Mar 3, 2018
    No this is not a scope for a rifle. This is a spotting scope that is mounted on a tripod. :)

11. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    OK, what spotting scope do you have that will pick out a bullet hole at 1000 yards?
    A friend's 82mm Kowa won't, the big 120mm binocular sold by Rigby of California won't. A club member's Swarofski was very clear but I never got to use it beyond 100.

12. Busa Dave

Mar 3, 2018
    This is my last post on this because and I am sorry you have a reading comprehension issue here (read my post above again) but will give a little more information. The 1k blue and white IBS targets are problematic to see the "holes" practice targets and the painted steel plates and even shooting "pigeons" you can see the holes because of the color contrast if they do not break and if you spent much time shooting at 1k you will understand that mirage and even glare take its toll on using the higher magnifications while shooting or looking through a spotting scope no matter Who makes it. Mine is the APO or fluorocrown optical glass version. Lot of things to use the spotting scopes for at a 1k match.

Not going to comment on your friends equipment but I understand their problem.

blamo, FWoo45 and BigSkyGuy like this.
  13. PWS

Mar 20, 2016
    Now, play nice, guys....we're all shooting/gun nuts, and we need to read and think about posts with a modicum for respect for each other's comments and knowledge.....and a sense of humor for late night/early morning mis-thoughts and autocorrect gaffes.....to repeat, I'm looking for a spotting scope to use for "long-range" shooting and appreciate all the comments and suggestion from every Addict....

14. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    If you really want to see what you are doing, and have the opportunity to go to the target area to set up and take down, a camera system will be a big help.
    If I had stayed in LR, I would have bought one.

Busa Dave likes this.
  15. Guy Montag

Guy Montag Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2014
    [​IMG]
    PWS, A Henny or the Swaro with their binocular eyepiece is as good as gets from what I've used.

Get your checkbook out and be ready to cringe, buy once cry once has never been truer.

16. Busa Dave

Mar 3, 2018
    • Oh Heck Yes!!! Getting ready to look into this. Cost has come WAY down the last few years! Even see it on your phone real time. Going to look into this for shooting on my own property and will save a lot of time. Equipment changes--was a time when I never never would have even thought about giving my Oehler 35P to my best friend because I am not going to use it any longer. Radar Baby!

17. PWS

Mar 20, 2016
    Yup, I bought one last year but now it's all wrapped up in the guns and equipment my ex has locked up in Florida....hate to go there again, and then eventually get all of it back...the camera worked pretty well....bluetoothed to my phone or iPad...a little difficult to get to work initially, but as I remember, I finally managed to get it unscrewed....camera was a little difficult to get stable and on target, but when it all worked, it worked well...could see hits very easily

18. PWS

Mar 20, 2016
    I looked at these at a LGS yedterday....beautiful optics but $5000+ was a little steep...if I get back into LRS like I was a few years ago, will probably pop for one of these...heck, fun to look at birds (and the neighbors) anyway....thanks for the comment....I loved the image clarity...but damn $$$

19. Mike0251

Mike0251 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 25, 2016
    I bought a nice spotting scope BUT my Nightforce scope is so good I can see holes at 1000 yards! To funny. Awesome optics. Good luck with your search.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted