1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this subject has been beat to death ( I apologize ), but I am looking for a specific answer/opinion from the pros.

regarding a 5" 45acp (built by me).

I set this up using the EGW fire control group/ lightened hammer, sear , disco, sear spring and 19# main spring. Installed EGW flat bottom fps (but i put a slight radius on it).

Chose to go with a wilson combat flat wire 17# recoil spring.

now, I shoot mainly factory loads averaging 196pf with occasional defense loads up to 205pf.
Indoor range, so hard to determine how far the ejection is...probably a good 10-12' in a consistant pattern at about 2:00 o'clock.

Gun runs great. Only had a couple of light strikes , out of about 3000 rounds, I am attributing to the ammo brand at the time. Approx 3.5# trigger.

The issue in question ..........Something tells me, because of the loads I am shooting (too high of a pf) that maybe I should increase the poundage of the main spring.......maybe too much wear and tear of the frame. Or, should I leave well enough alone.
Thoughts on wilson shok-buffs under this scenario ?

note: cross posted in other forum

·
Registered
821 Posts
I know this subject has been beat to death ( I apologize ), but I am looking for a specific answer/opinion from the pros.

regarding a 5" 45acp (built by me).

I set this up using the EGW fire control group/ lightened hammer, sear , disco, sear spring and 19# main spring. Installed EGW flat bottom fps (but i put a slight radius on it).

Chose to go with a wilson combat flat wire 17# recoil spring.

now, I shoot mainly factory loads averaging 196pf with occasional defense loads up to 205pf.
Indoor range, so hard to determine how far the ejection is...probably a good 10-12' in a consistant pattern at about 2:00 o'clock.

Gun runs great. Only had a couple of light strikes , out of about 3000 rounds, I am attributing to the ammo brand at the time. Approx 3.5# trigger.

The issue in question ..........Something tells me, because of the loads I am shooting (too high of a pf) that maybe I should increase the poundage of the main spring.......maybe too much wear and tear of the frame. Or, should I leave well enough alone.
Thoughts on wilson shok-buffs under this scenario ?

note: cross posted in other forum
Why did you choose a 19# main spring?
For you application stay with the standard 23# spring.
Yes, people like to think 19#'s is the magic number. Works fine for B/E with Federal Gold Metal Match primers and "alibi's"!

Smiles,

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm surprised the flat wire recoil spring works in a 5" 1911.

I don't pick a recoil spring based on how far the brass gets tossed. I use the lightest possible recoil spring consistent with 100% functioning. I should temper this statement by saying it's a balancing act between functioning and how the front sight tracks during recoil. I do better following the sight with a lighter spring than with a heavier spring using my favorite handloads.

And as jjfitch points out, I run a 23lb mainspring. That combined with your flat bottom firing pin stop will have a decided effect on slowing the rearward speed of the slide thus allowing the use of a lighter recoil spring.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have changed between a strd 16# recoil spring and the 17# flat wire a couple of times. The 17# flat wire actually seem lighter than the 16# strd spring as it is much smoother and easier to hand cycle. Almost as though the flat wire is rated differently...more like a 15# strd recoil spring.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm not a Pro, but I have an opinion! :)

I pick a recoil spring that reliably returns the slide into battery - no heavier.

For the mainspring, I look at the distance empty brass travels. Long distances suggest that the mainspring is too light and the slide is moving back too fast. Short distances, the opposite. I like about 8'.

So, my opinion on the mainspring is to go heavier.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I pick a recoil spring that reliably returns the slide into battery - no heavier.

For the mainspring, I look at the distance empty brass travels.
That's a good way to go about things. Luckily, the flat bottom firing pin stop keeps me from having to use anything heavier than 23lbs (except 9mm and 10mm).

9mm is such a mild cartridge that I had to use a radically rounded firing pin stop, an 18lb mainspring, and a 9lb recoil spring to get the slide to lock back after the last round. 10mm is on the other end of the spectrum. I've tested these things using flat bottom firing pin stops combined with mainsprings up to 30lbs and recoil springs up to 28lbs. No matter the spring combination it never results in a neat pile of brass 5 feet away.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Laughing about how far the brass went, back in the late 80's when I got my first Delta Elite and used norma loads in it. Back them there wasn't any brass available. So I shot the factory up to get the brass etc. Remember scrounging in the weeds to find it all. Some of it was 15 yds away I bet!!
So when you said "No matter the spring combination it never results in a neat pile of brass 5 feet away." It made me laugh.
The old gunsmith I was apprenticing under made a statement something to the effect of "those things won't last". Meaning the gun wouldn't hold up to the 10mm round. HE's passed on but the 10mm is still with us thank God!

Reactions: wrmiller

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Final thoughts.

I did change to a 23# main spring and now I will pay special attention to ejection pattern. This will have to wait until the local indoor range re-opens for business.

With all the information I garnered from the forum (s), I feel comfortable and have the confidence to adjust spring weights (changing the springs) rather than just parroting what others have done.

the trigger weight increased by approx. 6oz.

Just want to thank everyone:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Fellows. So... what "should" the ejection pattern be if all is "operating" as its suppose to? Both in a full length 5" 1911 and a "commander" length 1911

·
Registered
373 Posts
Fellows. So... what "should" the ejection pattern be if all is "operating" as its suppose to? Both in a full length 5" 1911 and a "commander" length 1911
There is no single correct answer to your question.

I make all my pistols eject between 4 and 5 o'clock. Some will spit brass further than others but none will spit them out any less than about 3 feet away. Realize that the flight distance is controlled by many, many factors including rearward slide velocity (bullet weight, bullet velocity, bullet diameter, fit of the barrel, fit of the slide to the frame, mainspring weight, shape of the firing pin stop, recoil spring weight, etc) and the amount of resistance applied by the shooter (body mass, stance, arm strength,etc).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts