Springer firing pin/hammer spring ??

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by ed plantaganet, Mar 4, 2019.

1. ed plantaganet

ed plantaganet Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Bought a used Range Officer. The previous owner had done some home gunsmithing on it, mainly the mainspring housing. I bought the parts and rebuilt it using a 23lb hammer spring. Does anyone know what the factory hammer spring weight in a Springer is supposed to be? I'm wondering if the 23lb spring might be more than the firing pin was designed to work with and may accelerate wear or damage the FP. Maybe it's just me but it seems like a lot of the newer 1911's come with lighter hammer springs. I measured the firing pin and I'm coming up with .069; I thought a Springer FP was supposed to measure .075. I tried measuring the FP hole in the breechface but my calipers are too big to get in there.

2. ChuckC

ChuckC Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2016
    23lb is the spec for a hammer spring. Shouldn’t cause any damage to the FP. I’m not sure what size Springfield does on their 9mm firing pins but I think .069 is normal for a 9mm

Steve Owens likes this.

3. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    I think the firing pin is a different size in the Springers . Also , they're made out of titanium instead of steel , hence the need for a 23 lb. mainspring .

Steve Owens likes this.
  4. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Very good info here, but I chuck every titanium firing pin, I come across. Notorious for light primer strikes especially on certain ammo with harder primers.

samuse likes this.
  5. woodlands747

woodlands747 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Like Steve O said dump the titanium FP and get one of these made for the Springer. Then you can go down to 19# on the hammer spring and not have an issue with light strikes.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...uper-springfield-pistols-only-stainless-steel

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    Mike Meints likes this.
  6. ed plantaganet

ed plantaganet Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Thank you guys very much for the help

Mike Meints likes this.
  7. samuse

samuse Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    23lb is proper.

Plus 1 or 2 on ditching the Ti firing pin.

I like EGW oversize and a Wilson Chrome silicon spring. Springfield uses some XXX heavy firing pin spring.

Steve Owens likes this.
  8. Autonomous

Autonomous Turgid member

Jan 14, 2019
    LOL, when that TI Springer FP and it's XXX HD spring launch a good time is guaranteed.

9. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    You are correct, just ran into that on a pro, that belongs to a buddy.. He called me and asked me wth the firing pin spring in his pro was so much longer, heavier and dense than any of his other guns. It seems for some reason that SA has began a big practice lately of shooting themselves in the foot. I don't know if they are experimenting or what but, every since they went to that titanium FP and the spring they've had problems, another one is not drill the ejector hole and pinning it. Some ejectors you can't get out with a stick of dynamite and others fall out in your hand. They'll fix them under warranty, but you got to wonder how many of these they are going to do before they go back to the old way of doing thing. Unless they just like to admire their work a few more times before they totally let go of the firearm lol.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted