Springer Mil-Spec Stainless...Ever Polish One Out??

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Nalajr, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Hey all.

After reading in the thread about the low cost 1911’s, I went over and re-familiarized myself with the Springer Mil-Spec....particularly the stainless version.

I started thinking if anyone here that owns one has ever wanted theirs to be a bit different than the rest and then set about polishing it to a BRITE Stainless finish.
    Have you ever done it? If so, how did you like it? Lastly, and more importantly, do you have any PICS you don’t mind showing off to everyone? I sure would like to see it.

If you have the Blued or Park’d version, did you change or modify the finish on it? Maybe artificially age it to make it look more like a REAL GI 1911? I think that would look great too, but I know quite a few here don’t favor that modification. How about some pics if you have done this too?
    I think it would also look beautifulwith a really nice Carbonia Blue finish like Colt put on their WWI repro.

Thank you all for your time and help. I appreciate you taking the time to participate.
    Keep yourself and your families safe and healthy while this madness still grips us.

Larry

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  2. OldCuz

OldCuz So, I held this 1911 and then.... Supporting Addict

Mar 22, 2020
    Buy one and have it polished. Post pics afterwards because I'd like to see that.

3. Guy Montag

Guy Montag Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2014
    [​IMG]

Here's a taste.

KS95B40 and 1L26 like this.
  4. Yogi619

Yogi619 Active Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I e seen them around, and don’t care for them. You can probably just look at some Colts, as they usually have several fully polished models on gunbroker at any given time.

But, if you were to sand and brush the flats, it would look really good.

5. Cousin Vinny

Cousin Vinny Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Found this one sort of half assed polished. Went over it with grey scotch brite F80E1ED4-3600-4A46-8710-3EFF99C0D7A0.jpeg and oil. Turned out pretty good. Not too shiny.

6. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Polishing is perfectly fine with me when done tastefully.

53B59858-FEB6-4811-94B3-F8C6C3803AFA.jpeg

7. cupton

cupton Active Member

Jul 25, 2016
    Most I have ever done to my Mil-Spec SS is sand out that idiot scratch. My Mil-Spec was my first 1911 so that scratch was to be expected I guess. ;)

I'd like to see what others have done to their SS Mil-Spec's. Mine is completely stock other than the grips.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  8. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Ooh NICE stuff guys!! Beautiful pistols. I don’t care what anyone says, tastefully done 1911’s are the most beautiful pistols ever made. Sure, I love Hi Power’s, Peacemakers and Pythons, but they are just not in the same league as the 1911. It’s what started my love of guns back in 1980 or so when I saw and promptly bought the issue if AH or GUNS that had a custom Colt Pachmayr Special on the cover in all its gorgeous glory.
    If anyone owns one of those...PLEASE post a pic! I haven’t seen one in a long time.

Anyway, I really like all these examples posted. I’ve always been afraid of those Scotch Brite pads, but in the hands of those that know how to properly use them, gorgeous results ensue.

I am really looking to get one as I have wanted to tinker with one for many years now. I’ll practice on the Springer and then move to my Colt NRM and use what I learned on the Springer. Ideally that’s how I’d want it to go, but that almost never happens in my world!!

Keep posting the pics please!!

thank you all.
    Larry

9. CT72

CT72 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2015
    That is beautiful!

TheCollector likes this.
  10. cupton

cupton Active Member

Jul 25, 2016
    I hope I'm not hijacking this thread with this question, so I apologize in advance. It is a relative question to polishing a stainless Springer Mil-Spec, I promise. I was just curious about polishing the dark grey flats a little bit so that they aren't as gritty. Does that make sense?

Wondering if there is a do-it-at-home method to at least get those darn flats a little smoother and maybe more in line with the brushed look of the slide and side of frame. Or even if not the same brushed look, less dark and a little smoother than what they are now. All I have done with mine is sanded out that idiot scratch. But that was on the frame which is brushed SS anyway. Easy Peasy!

Journeyman1234 likes this.
  11. OldCuz

Mar 22, 2020
    Very nice I think, I like it.

That's exactly the way I like it. Well done!

12. jcc7x7

jcc7x7 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2019
    that's nice

TheCollector likes this.
  13. aegiswa

aegiswa Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    How about a SS TRP I wanted it bright polished turned out good to me - F6100227-BE0E-4FCD-B231-6EF6974528AA.jpeg

14. OldCuz

Mar 22, 2020
    Nice, very nice.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted